Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ShootMania Storm

(06-17-2012, 08:08 AM)asy7um Wrote: It could also use more varied textures and architecture. But the most disappointing thing for me so far is the movement system. I expected a lot more trickjumps that can make a difference so it's not all about aim and positioning.

I know that other map themes will come.I have heard about an ''snowy'' theme for example.

For trickjumps I think no one has mastered the movement yet.There are people like Gillz who are doing quite some interesting stuff with the movement already.The movement energy u have in SM isnt just some kind of sprint that u can use on ground.You can use it freely in all situations to push yourself in all directions.With that you can really create some interesting ways to move through the maps ,dodging and confusing the enemy team Smile

Edit:i guess that also kinda answers Subzeros question.I dont think there is anything else really special about the movement.Its all about managing your energy recources and using your imagination to create some usefull moves with that energy you got.

(06-17-2012, 06:13 AM)Apr0ph1z Wrote: 1v1 duel modes

I'm sorry but WTF?!! 1v1 instagib? Who the heck would actually want to do that? Is it the regular assault game type with only 2 players, or is it a real 1v1 mode?

(06-17-2012, 01:43 PM)W4RP1G Wrote:

I'm sorry but WTF?!! 1v1 instagib? Who the heck would actually want to do that? Is it the regular assault game type with only 2 players, or is it a real 1v1 mode?

1v1 instagib was serious business in nexuiz :>

Good they didn't name this "Shitstorm Mania"...

Anyway - it looks interesting. I wonder how Nadeo's make-the-players-creative aspect will work in this production Smile
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

(06-17-2012, 02:43 PM)asy7um Wrote:

1v1 instagib was serious business in nexuiz :>
I'm not surprised. It seems like anytime I wanna play that game, all see are minsta servers. Instagib is weak. I've thought that since UT99 and I think it now.

The 1on1 mode is very different from what we are used to.Ill try to explain it as good as i can:
Small maps with 2 poles on them.Both players spawn @the same location with the rocket launcher(its like the standard spawn weapon in all modes besides elitemode as attacker) but no ammo.You have to get to reach one of this poles to gain an clip of ammo.(all weapons have their own ammo pool)After you used an pole you cant use it before u have used the other pole.
You get different weapons with standing on certain spots on the map when u leave them u also switch back to the rl.
You score points in the match by hitting your enemy.(which isnt an easy task since all rockets have to be direct hits etc).1 hit from a weapon is worth 1 point.You win by scoring 6 points and having atleast 2 more points then the oppenent.(if he has 5 points u have to get atleast 7 pts etc)
So the important points of duel are:
Hit your shit
Dodge their shit
Manage your ammo(dont burst it out all at ounce,wait for the right moments)
Remember how much shots your enemy already wasted.It can cost you the match if he tricks you into believing he is out of ammo...
Controll the ammo poles/deny ammo for your enemy
Decide when the risk is worth it to go on an weapon plattform where u can easily be hit and you cant get to the next ammo pole fast.(its not fun to try to reach an ammo pole while beeing out of ammo while your enemy is standing infront of it with an full mag of rockets...).

So no.Its not instagib duel at all.

That people await an instaduel mode when they hear duel in shootmania shows me that it was a big mistake by them to show Shootmania Elite to the public before they have seen shootmania storm.Yeah you might ask yourself now...wait...isnt that the same?No it isnt.Here is my mania planet controll panel(there you launch all your nadeo games):

[Image: vZWRwbw]

As you can see there is shootmania storm with 2 small addons.Elite and Joust.All 3 follow their own set of rules.
Shootmania Storm is basicilly the game for the public crowd that only wants to have fun.You can play and create there tons of different gamemodes and will see something new everyday.In the basic gamemodes that are shipped with the game you never spawn with an instagib railgun there.The rocketlauncher is your spawn weapon.And an railgun does an fixed amount of dmg and is only available on certain spots.Ofc people are free to create what they want and yes,there are people that created instagib mods for it aswell.

Shootmania elite is the addon for people that want competitive teambased gameplay without gameplay altering mods an every single server.You can play the Elite mode there which u have seen in the tournaments so far.It gets rebalancing by nadeo on an regular basis(like movement speed adjustments etc)

Shootmania joust is the addon for competitive 1on1.I explained the basic gamemode that u get earlier in the post.

All 3 Shootmania titles have their own ladders/rankings atm and are totally seperated.Ofc nadeo has build in an server browser in the mania planet that can show u matches for all shootmania titles you currently own.

Only one shootmania title of them includes an role where u spawn with an instagib railgun by default.So no,shootmania is no instagib heaven.In fact its an heavily projectile aim based game sinc all rockets have to be direct hits and rl is the weapon u will carry around most of the time you play shootmania.

But it also doesn't seem to be a fully fledged fps, where you have countless ways of playing the game. Like developing various weapon uses, trick-jumping, items controlling, learning to play unusual maps, etc. I understand that they wanted to avoid any steeper learning curve in the game. But in this case it looks like you are expected to follow a very specific pattern. E.g. you are allowed (forced?) to use a certain weapon but only in certain spots on the map.

Hard to say anything about it without having played it myself. The 1on1 mode sounds complicated but maybe it plays very intuitive, who knows.

(06-18-2012, 04:34 AM)_Subzero_ Wrote: But it also doesn't seem to be a fully fledged fps, where you have countless ways of playing the game.

This is true.Shootmania mostly gives you an very clear direction of what it wants you to do in this gamemode/map.
I would kinda put it somewhere between counter strike and xonotic in terms of available decisions and unique playstyle options per map/mode.
There are some options for you but you arent able to do funny stuff like playing a full match of dm with the shotguns melee because you feel like it.Or playing an duel without picking up megahealth just to see if you are able to win without it.
But on the other hand the game provides you with the tools to create whatever you want...i think if i really wanted to I could recreate an somewhat classic arena shooter feeling with item pickups,weapon pickups etc.

(06-18-2012, 06:02 AM)Apr0ph1z Wrote: game provides you with the tools to create whatever you want

Whoa, hold on. You can make the game into a regular shooter? Have you played it like that? Also, has the community petitioned for a more traditional arena game mode yet?

Thanks for clearing up the 1v1 details. It's cool to hear that they didn't make the game instagib only, though the other modes still sound kinda weird and restricted. It also sounds like the devs wanted to treat the gameplay more like a sport than anything.

I don't think that today's gamers really want a "traditional arena game". Else they could just play quake live/xonotic/warsow etc.

(06-18-2012, 08:11 AM)W4RP1G Wrote: Whoa, hold on. You can make the game into a regular shooter? Have you played it like that? Also, has the community petitioned for a more traditional arena game mode yet?

Thanks for clearing up the 1v1 details. It's cool to hear that they didn't make the game instagib only, though the other modes still sound kinda weird and restricted. It also sounds like the devs wanted to treat the gameplay more like a sport than anything.

With the stuff provided in the editor and the gamemode scripting function i think it should be possible.I dont have seen any big petition by the community asking for an classic arena mode with item/weapon pickups yet.They got players from all type of games in the alpha.Most of them probably havent played an arena fps for many years(if they did at all) and probably arent interested in dooing so.But iam very sure that once the game is available to the public some dedicated arena fps players will create some modes that are closer to the classic arena fps then the stuff we have seen so far Smile.
Also you might notice that there is an 3rd empty field on my screenshot next to shootmania.Who knows what nadeo is planing for that Wink

(06-18-2012, 08:11 AM)W4RP1G Wrote: It also sounds like the devs wanted to treat the gameplay more like a sport than anything.
Their main goal is to create an good esport fps for everyone,so it kinda fits that they give it some ''cyber sport'' feeling Smile

Last night there was an update.The game got an time trial mode now.(something like the cts in xon or defrag for quake)
Also some interesting news about shootmania with an dev answer: http://www.shootmaniaesports.com/607/mor...-the-devs/
And an screenshot from colwns training to amuse the quakefans here.:[Image: 550478_460976900597334_799321165_n.jpg] .I guess they feel prepared to win cybsum....

rocknroll237, it does work.

WTF! When I tried it last night it didn't, but now it does!

So I finally played shootmania storm. It plays like a mix of tribes and instagib. Your main weapon is a kind of spinfusor thats deduces 1 hit point on impact. You have 2 hit points and you can regenerate a missing hit point at special healing areas. The weapon has 4 ammo that regenerates after some time (to prevent spam). The main game mode is about capturing control points, played 20vs20 or more! I find the game very addictive. My only issue is the framerate, which is too low and you don't have many graphics options to turn down.

Would be cool to have the shootmania game mode in Xonotic. Might create some hype Wink

(07-10-2012, 01:03 PM)Micha Wrote: Would be cool to have the shootmania game mode in Xonotic. Might create some hype Wink

I really wonder how that would play out. Would we get in legal trouble? That's an interesting idea.

(07-10-2012, 01:05 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: I really wonder how that would play out. Would we get in legal trouble? That's an interesting idea.

I don't think stealing game modes would cause lawsuit problems Wink

I'm not so sure. Are novel game modes such as this one patentable?

Oh, forgot, I got patent on CTF and Deathmatch, omg I gonna sue you all! Wink

It's out for pre-order. Only 16€. Gives you access to the beta, too. See you in the arena Smile

It seems strange with no hudgun, i been playing xon too much or what?
[Image: steam.gif]

(07-13-2012, 05:07 AM)Droid Wrote: It seems strange with no hudgun, i been playing xon too much or what?

I play Xon without draw_weapon Wink

After 1 week of playing SMS I'm not totally satisfied. The performance is very poor. With many players I got 20fps and less. But it looks like there's a bug, the more players, the less GPU usage. Very strange, but I guess it will be fixed. I doubt I'll be able to play with 120 FPS though. The other issue is the movement. It's fast, but it doesn't flow like in Quake or Xon.

I think there's a big chance to hop on the SMS train. Something like Xonotic:Sports - A simplified minsta without secondary laser but maybe nexjump and some ammo stations. The same maps with new textures that look more sporty and less oldschool dark scifi style (e.g. just take some of the W§W textures). No pain cries and gibs. In short, a sports game instead of a killing game, or just a sports "skin" for the existing Xonotic.

Just dreaming a little bit Angel

Micha ever tried this?

Code:
gl_picmip_world 1337
cl_simple_items 1

I didn't know there are simple items in Xon now. That's cool. I've already played around with the picmip, but I decided it's too ugly and anyway I'm not that pro that it would make a difference. Wink

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Steel Storm - another game using the DarkPlaces engine divVerent 7 13,192 01-02-2011, 05:13 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin