Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steel Storm - another game using the DarkPlaces engine

There is another great game for the "old-schoolers" among us which is using the same engine as Xonotic uses: Steel Storm.

[Image: ss_shot04.jpg]
[Image: ss_fly_for_005.jpg]

It is a top-down arcade shooter (like these old games you know on these arcade machines), but it is "semi-2D": 2D gameplay with cool 3D graphics. Just so you know what else one can do with this engine Smile

Episode 1 is free, try it now on http://www.steel-storm.com/
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

Top down SHMUP with a lot of stuff that go boom! Will have to check this out.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

and it works also on windows mac and linux
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

I smell advertising... You smell that too? Big Grin
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

Tried out Episode 1, definitely going to purchase Episode 2. I haven't seen a whole lot of SHMUPs that use this type of gameplay, usually they're on rails. This one on the other hand seems to take a page from on foot top-down shooters such as Expendable (aka Millenium Soldier, underrated as hell) and LOADED. One is another game that comes to mind, but that isn't a top down shooter but actually a 3D platformer/shooter hybrid, must be all the explosions that fill the area that makes me think of it.

Oh wait.

Nobody has to buy it, especially given that episode 1 is complete, works with NetRadiant, and has a built-in mission editor.

Fact is though, that motorsep and daemon (the guys behind this) did help with quite some engine issues that also affected Xonotic, and in the end we all profit from that.

I mainly find this game technically interesting, and got no money for any involvement with it (which also is fine by me). Main interesting part is how it "abuses" a FPS engine to do something entirely different.
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

Doesn't look like my kind of game much but as divVerent said its interesting to see the engine being used in different ways. I always thought UFO:AI was also a neat example of using a similar engine in this way.

I say good luck to them in future endeavours!
Hey, want to learn to map? You might want to start here and here!

THIS. GAME. IS. ADDICTING AS HELL. Reminds me of on foot top down shooters like Expendable and LOADED, though LOADED was more of a key fetching game like Doom.

Oh wait.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I get started with Darkplaces Development? GoldenThumbs 0 4,062 10-16-2018, 05:27 PM
Last Post: GoldenThumbs
  Rendering with one graphics card, outputting video with another. Can it be done? Lee_Stricklin 0 3,217 08-17-2018, 12:29 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
Star Serenity recreated in Quake 3 engine Greaserpirate 3 11,342 06-11-2016, 11:50 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  Mario Kart Unreal Engine 4 Beagle 0 3,545 02-17-2016, 03:53 AM
Last Post: Beagle
  Star Wars: Battlecry (Unreal Engine 4) rocknroll237 128 182,375 05-05-2015, 01:40 PM
Last Post: rocknroll237
  Xoreos: Bringing the Aurora Engine to Linux FutureSuture 0 4,213 08-22-2013, 01:25 PM
Last Post: FutureSuture
  Darkplaces games rocknroll237 15 18,336 10-03-2012, 06:50 AM
Last Post: Cyber Killer
  Using Git to develop legislation Minkovsky 2 3,648 09-27-2012, 01:41 PM
Last Post: Minkovsky
  ShootMania Storm rocknroll237 54 54,314 07-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Last Post: machine!
  Some words in a language can make sense in another nekomata 10 8,881 06-22-2012, 09:25 AM
Last Post: edh