Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Mofo] Rifle Riot [Camping Rifle/CRA]

Is it possible to switch to "free" models, when everybody can pick their own models, like before?
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

(06-20-2013, 11:32 AM)aa Wrote: Is it possible to switch to "free" models, when everybody can pick their own models, like before?

Hmm I can do it for when resetting back from Pawnys but seems most people are voting for Pawny models and accepting the vote.

I know a couple of the servers allow players to choose their own or pawnys but that's custom code and I don't have access to it.

Ill set up a killpawny vote today which will revert back to normal models and you can try voting with it.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

Before, IIRC, there were pawnies and non pawnies on the server at the same time... Not sure, thought...

(06-20-2013, 01:39 PM)aa Wrote: Before, IIRC, there were pawnies and non pawnies on the server at the same time... Not sure, thought...

Oh yah that was random selection by server between erebus and pawny models. ATM is either one or the other unfortunately. I can also set up a Mix Pawny/Xon Player vote but no guarantee you wont be a pawny lol
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

I do no want not to be a pawny....

Why enforce player models AND make it votable? Now people will vote for the skin they want to use intsead of only picking it for themselves, how is that fun for anyone?

Yeah, it's kind of dumb to force models on people anyway in the first place. It makes me question the "force player models to mine" feature for why it doesn't work in cases like this (it only works while replaying demos, although the voices doesn't change). And ponies? I've nothing against them, but I showed this video to one of my CS friends hoping he would be interested for the manly rifle sounds and the reminiscent wallbanging feature that he took interest in before. And after explaining 'the fuck are those hentai sounds, for someone who doesn't know or play Xonotic it's kinda hard to take seriously. :/

(06-20-2013, 02:11 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Why enforce player models AND make it votable? Now people will vote for the skin they want to use intsead of only picking it for themselves, how is that fun for anyone?

Well If I knew how to allow players to choose their own model or the custom pawny (or any other) ones then I'd allow it but for the moment best I can do is let the users vote on it. Majority seem to want it and even though I don't always want to be a pawny if it keep people playing so be it.

Whats the point of the voting system then...

(06-20-2013, 02:26 PM)Smilecythe Wrote: And after explaining 'the fuck are those hentai sounds, for someone who doesn't know or play Xonotic it's kinda hard to take seriously. :/

If someone judges game play from a custom vote or server on a video and they don't want to actually try and play the game first hand then that's their own problem.

The only thing to do then is separate the server list screen to two, one showing Native Xon servers and one showing Custom Servers. IF someone choose to play a custom setting server then then thinks Xonotic as a whole is "No manly cool" because of the "custom" settings on the "Custom Server" they're an idiot in the first place.

(06-20-2013, 02:42 PM)end user Wrote: Well If I knew how to allow players to choose their own model or the custom pawny (or any other) ones then I'd allow it but for the moment best I can do is let the users vote on it. Majority seem to want it and even though I don't always want to be a pawny if it keep people playing so be it.

If you have the model's pk3 loaded in your server, it will be available to choose in the menu for your clients once they are connected to the server. Only if you're not already enforcing a model, of course.

(06-20-2013, 02:42 PM)end user Wrote: Whats the point of the voting system then...

The point is certainly not for novelty usage, but to kick or mute people, end matches, change maps, extend the time limit... Things that matter to the gameplay a little more than forcing people to use models they don't necessarily want to use. You're free to make what you want of it of course. If you don't see any point other than the model switching, you're also free to disable voting altogether; no one said you have to offer original voting options.

(06-20-2013, 02:42 PM)end user Wrote: If someone judges game play from a custom vote or server on a video and they don't want to actually try and play the game first hand then that's their own problem.

The only thing to do then is separate the server list screen to two, one showing Native Xon servers and one showing Custom Servers. IF someone choose to play a custom setting server then then thinks Xonotic as a whole is "No manly cool" because of the "custom" settings on the "Custom Server" they're an idiot in the first place.

As a server admin, you are responsible of part of Xonotic's public image. You offer a percentage of new players' first impressions. That's something you should at least be aware of and acknowledge (and don't call new player "idiots", that's no way to welcome them). This is especially important if your server is popular.

I'm not defending Smilecythe's point there though, as it's irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

Also, there have been discussions about non-vanilla configs, which is how we ended up with the "pure server" icon in the server list as a compromise. People seem to like custom settings, which makes segregation of custom servers a bit more difficult to justify.

(06-20-2013, 03:22 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: If you have the model's pk3 loaded in your server, it will be available to choose in the menu for your clients once they are connected to the server. Only if you're not already enforcing a model, of course.

Thanks will do a test server to test this out. Was told wasn't possible with out custom code but might be miss communication.

Hook seems to be weird a bit, is it supposed to be so?

(06-20-2013, 04:13 PM)aa Wrote: Hook seems to be weird a bit, is it supposed to be so?

Yes the server itself is set to mimic the Nexuiz The Bad Ass Choobs Camping Rifle server where the hook is used to fish in/move around frozen players.

(06-20-2013, 03:39 PM)end user Wrote: Thanks will do a test server to test this out. Was told wasn't possible with out custom code but might be miss communication.

Well damn, I'm 100% positive it used to work. Do you know who has this modification? Because it's a bug fix that they have not shared... They should submit that to the tracker.

Also, the model code seems bugged. Look at the client console when joining your server, there are error messages about model loading. Needs to be investigated, but I have no more time to spend on this for now.

(06-20-2013, 04:24 PM)end user Wrote:
(06-20-2013, 04:13 PM)aa Wrote: Hook seems to be weird a bit, is it supposed to be so?

Yes the server itself is set to mimic the Nexuiz The Bad Ass Choobs Camping Rifle server where the hook is used to fish in/move around frozen players.

Ulling frozen players feels very wieerd as well. There is very little movement, and you seem to move more than the hooked player.

(06-20-2013, 04:41 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote:
(06-20-2013, 03:39 PM)end user Wrote: Thanks will do a test server to test this out. Was told wasn't possible with out custom code but might be miss communication.

Well damn, I'm 100% positive it used to work. Do you know who has this modification? Because it's a bug fix that they have not shared... They should submit that to the tracker.

Also, the model code seems bugged. Look at the client console when joining your server, there are error messages about model loading. Needs to be investigated, but I have no more time to spend on this for now.

Best to ask Mario and I think MON servers have it on them.

As for the model errors those are weird as when I talked to Mario and got the correct code pony.iqm:1 not pony.iqm:<1> there were no error messages in the game or server console until last night they just appeared.

(06-20-2013, 05:07 PM)aa Wrote:
(06-20-2013, 04:24 PM)end user Wrote:

Ulling frozen players feels very wieerd as well. There is very little movement, and you seem to move more than the hooked player.

Yah I might have uploaded the wrong cfg version. Its a trade off if I make it full really easy to pull then its easy for players to use the hook to fly just by jumping in the air.

(06-20-2013, 02:42 PM)end user Wrote: If someone judges game play from a custom vote or server on a video and they don't want to actually try and play the game first hand then that's their own problem.
He did not judge the game play, he judged the outer appearance which is your problem. I don't even bother voting the models off anymore because they're always there when I come back. It's the only and stupid downside in your server, having your models forced to something else. Doesn't matter if they're ponies or teletubbies, I don't specifically hate those things, I'd just much rather be looking at Mega Erebusses (as I set it up for myself) where ever I go to play.

(06-20-2013, 03:22 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: I'm not defending Smilecythe's point there though, as it's irrelevant to the discussion at hand.
We were talking about the models, no? Don't get me wrong, I like this server a lot and this being thread for it, was clearly pointing out very relevant crit.

(06-20-2013, 09:18 PM)Smilecythe Wrote:
He did not judge the game play, he judged the outer appearance which is your problem. I don't even bother voting the models off anymore because they're always there when I come back. It's the only and stupid downside in your server, having your models forced to something else. Doesn't matter if they're ponies or teletubbies, I don't specifically hate those things, I'd just much rather be looking at Mega Erebusses (as I set it up for myself) where ever I go to play.

(06-20-2013, 03:22 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: I'm not defending Smilecythe's point there though, as it's irrelevant to the discussion at hand.
We were talking about the models, no? Don't get me wrong, I like this server a lot and this being thread for it, was clearly pointing out very relevant crit.

Maybe I was being too harsh/judgmental but these day I just like to play games for fun and try no to rag on game play/style.

(06-20-2013, 04:41 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote:

There seems to be a lot of miss-communication here...

The hack used on ESK servers allows for some players to set a specific model using cvars while another model (megaerebus) is forced.
It was added due to popular demand for ponies.

I've talked with end user a bit in-game, what he has setup now is any model allowed & ponies optional with either playermodel "models/player/pony.iqm" command or through menu if the client runs menu_restart in their console.

No idea what happened to the hook, it was working fine last time I found decent settings for it. Perhaps one of your latest changes broke movement?
[Image: 230.png]

As Mario posted

The default character and model settings have been reverted back to stock SO the player can keep using their preferred player model. The Pawny vote had also been removed.

SO HOW DO I USE A PAWNY?

Open the game console window with the ~ key and type in menu_restart This will reload the game menu windows.

Now go to Multi Player and Player Setup. Now in the character window use the arrows to scroll through till you one of the 4 Pawny models and choose the one you want to use.

I think that is the best solution.

Yes, of course it is the best solution, because what Smilecythe is so important especially to new players, but also experienced ones (if you want to have a popular server).

So I noticed that the FT server got pretty popular and wanted to check it out few days ago. I joined it and what I saw.. Pony models. Everywhere.
I, as a very experienced Xonotic player, know them of course. However I don't like them at all and I could not get rid of them, thus I got a very bad first impression of the server.

Also there was something else that highly annoyed me while playing there: People who unbalance teams on purpose.
When I joined there was a game like 2v5 players and in the next map almost instantly 2v4. There was one player not balancing on purpose (I don't want to call names now) and others did not change either. Unbalanced teams work sometimes with other gamemodes but not really in FT.
You should enable auto balance in that case.

Summary: Pony model forced + unbalanced teams -> I quit without even finishing the map

(06-21-2013, 01:33 AM)aa Wrote: I think that is the best solution.

It isn't, though. The menu_restart should not be needed, this is a bug.

EDIT: And thanks for raising those points, Mirio. This is exactly the kind of thing that would put me off back when I played this game. Although autobalance isn't a solution more than it is an annoyance (unless it has radically changed since then?). People who purposefully ruin the game should be given a warning, and then get banned if they don't make an effort to make the game more enjoyable for others. Simple as that.

(06-21-2013, 01:51 AM)Mirio Wrote: Yes, of course it is the best solution, because what Smilecythe is so important especially to new players, but also experienced ones (if you want to have a popular server).

So I noticed that the FT server got pretty popular and wanted to check it out few days ago. I joined it and what I saw.. Pony models. Everywhere.
I, as a very experienced Xonotic player, know them of course. However I don't like them at all and I could not get rid of them, thus I got a very bad first impression of the server.

Also there was something else that highly annoyed me while playing there: People who unbalance teams on purpose.
When I joined there was a game like 2v5 players and in the next map almost instantly 2v4. There was one player not balancing on purpose (I don't want to call names now) and others did not change either. Unbalanced teams work sometimes with other gamemodes but not really in FT.
You should enable auto balance in that case.

Summary: Pony model forced + unbalanced teams -> I quit without even finishing the map

If the game allows mutations and custom servers to be listed in the server list with only a tiny icon (which most new people don't know what it means) indicating that its a custom server you'll get people joining them as ATM they are the most popular servers.

As for game play/models hell when I first joined the most popular hook/minsta server I hated it. Couldn't go two feet with out getting instantly killed wtf?! Obviously I knew because of my inexperience I sucked. I went away and came back a week or so later after getting a bit more game play on the Vehicle server. Now is that server suppose to change everything because I didn' know how to play the mutations, hell no, thats my own problem.

(06-21-2013, 10:36 AM)end user Wrote: If the game allows mutations and custom servers to be listed in the server list with only a tiny icon (which most new people don't know what it means) indicating that its a custom server you'll get people joining them as ATM they are the most popular servers.

I completely agree. This tiny icon doesn't really solve any problem.

Should we be having this discussion in a separate thread?

(06-21-2013, 10:40 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: [quote='end user' pid='59621' dateline='1371828976']

Should we be having this discussion in a separate thread?

Yes as I think the main issues here have been addressed (will look into the auto-balance today) and the current subject is more for the whole community.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [ MoFo ] Servers Master Thread end user 5 4,956 11-27-2020, 09:33 PM
Last Post: end user
  [MoFo] With A Shotgun [Shotgun Only] end user 12 14,497 08-19-2017, 02:22 PM
  [MoFo] Gear Grinder [Vehicles] end user 26 17,709 08-19-2017, 02:19 PM
  [MoFo] Pick Me Up [Montreal] Pick up server end user 3 4,086 11-14-2015, 10:47 PM
  [MoFo] Foul Play [Overkill Mod] North America end user 4 4,707 11-09-2015, 03:12 PM
  MoFo is back! Mario 0 2,796 02-25-2015, 12:26 AM
Last Post: Mario
  [ Drive Mofo ] Vehicle CTF Server end user 5 6,943 03-01-2014, 05:12 PM
  Jetpack + Overkill server [ Fly Mofo ] end user 0 2,830 10-09-2013, 04:51 PM