Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[SUGGESTION] story concept

The date of these occurrences would coincide with whatever date is chosen.

In 3360 (random pointless date) the earth had been polluted beyond supporting life, and the human race had spread over the known solar system.

After several decades of conflicct and various wars between the different factions of the human race, a scientist on a remote base floating in the Oort cloud. This scientist made a discovery that could change the course of the human race. He has discovered a planet beyond the human race that shows definite signs of having the ability to support human life. He takes his findings to the board of scientific investigations, one of the only groups still unaligned to any faction. Fairly soon the other various Governments get wind of this and send a representative to form a committee to decide what to do with this news. It is without question that someone must be sent, but who? No one can agree on anything, until someone proposes that a person is selected from each faction to go.

As the plans get under way, the planet begins to serve as a unification force for all the factions, and before long, a ship is constructed using the technology of all the factions. Astronauts from each government are placed on board, and put into cryosleep. The ship is launched, and the journey to the distance planet is underway.

many years pass, but word is finally received back from them. The planet is indeed capable of supporting life. As far as they can tell, the only danger to humans would be from some of the larger wildlife, but they can be killed with guns and are therefore a negligible threat. However, there are some odd things that have caught the explorers attention. It seems that the planet has been inhabited before, but whoever the inhabitants were, they were totally eradicated. There are old ruins of buildings that seem quite technologically advanced, but they, along with the planet itself, are all covered in many signs of a brutal conflict, including several craters over 10 miles wide. However, the weirdest thing of all is something they refer to as "the sentinel"(open to debate). A massive construction that is still totally intact, and has no signs of damage. Though it looks almost new, their readings show that the building is much older then the ruined buildings. Much, much older. They also have a suspicion that it is much larger then the outside appears (in the downward direction).

after another period of time, a base is established on haven, along with an orbital station. scientists and colonists are sent to begin settling the new land, and the Sentinel is studied. groups are sent inside, but they dont find much. they DO find that the construction seems to be a supposedly infinite source of massive amounts of energy. (this excites people to no end) and they immediately begin looking for ways to harness it, while the amount of actual study of the building is decreased.

One last exploration is planned to go into the building. It is to be the longest, and the deepest search to date. You will be a part of this group. (possibly from the faction of your choice? a debate for another time)

possible game play:

the trek begins outside the human base. The first mission takes you along a jungle path that leads towards the sentinel. You fight some various wildlife, and one of the army guys jokingly complains that "these baddies are too easy", after which a very large armored thing attacks him. you fight it off, and the guy has to go back to the base. (lolol) anyway, you continue on and arrive at the Sentinel.

you enter the building, and traverse your way through the construction, fighting some more wildlife that got in, and maybe something like robots designed to protect the place after awhile.

after traveling deeper then any group before, you encounter a door, but it won't open (you need a key card. Tongue). so you go search about to find override panels to get it open (something of that nature, anyway). the door opens, and you find yourself at the very core of the construction. what appears to be the control nexus. at the very center of the numerous panels, you find what appears to be a countdown, that coincides with the build up of energy, which has been charging for several billion years (there is also a handy "loading bar" there to indicate thus") as far as you can tell, the timer is almost up, and you don't know what will happen when it reaches max power, but your group decides It can't be good. Your group rushes back to base, fighting off more creatures. When you arrive at base and tell the boss your findings, he seems pretty uninterested. Everyone does, actually. they want to use the Sentinel, and don't want to have anything interfere. (typical humans)

you have a meeting with your group, and you decide to go back in to the sentinel without authorization, to try and stop the machine, or at least find out what will happen if they can't.

ok. I need to go to bed now XD. I will continue with this tomorrow. feel free to give your opinions and requests, and I can change things as necessary. this is not finished. not nearly. the main story will be what happens AFTER the tower is activated. I will accept ideas as to what this will be.

EDIT: fixed some mistakes.
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

Don't have time to do a huge comment on this right now, but I personally want to work on a campaign mode for Xonotic. I told Dokujisan about this earlier and i'll be sure to make a wiki article collecting ideas from the forums soon.

im going to try to work on a story too and maybe we can either smash them all together or vote on them or something…i just really want to do something creative for this game.

Maybe the story can explain why the players are able to move the way they do, how they can take so much abuse, and why they're able to keep coming back for more after being blown to bits.

I was thinking (and I know this is pretty cliché) cybernetic/biometric enhanced supersoldiers. Yeah, it's been done a million times, but really, does anyone have another explanation?

I was thinking some of this can be thrown in:

http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=114

(03-25-2010, 12:03 AM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: I was thinking some of this can be thrown in:

Actually, I like that better than the same-old-same-old, but in the context of a non-arena storyline, there would need to be another explanation.

Genetically enhanced (yes, overdone, but what isn't?) to be able to transform themselves into a kind of sludgy-bio-goo and reassemble themselves?

(03-25-2010, 12:12 AM)MC SE7EN Wrote:
(03-25-2010, 12:03 AM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: I was thinking some of this can be thrown in:

Actually, I like that better than the same-old-same-old, but in the context of a non-arena storyline, there would need to be another explanation.

Genetically enhanced (yes, overdone, but what isn't?) to be able to transform themselves into a kind of sludgy-bio-goo and reassemble themselves?

I'm sure someone will think of an explanation. Hell at this point we can almost have the Flying Spaghetti Monster will somebody back into the arena. lol

BEST. PLAN. EVER.

I'll start the modeling.

Oh right. I can't model. Tongue

(03-25-2010, 12:01 AM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: Maybe the story can explain why the players are able to move the way they do, how they can take so much abuse, and why they're able to keep coming back for more after being blown to bits.

A device transfers their consciousness to an enhanced clone body

Just to connect a different topic to this one, as it seems more right to my idea, what do you think guys about this idea?
http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php...966#pid966
Üdvözlettel / Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards:
Norbert

[Image: 34581.png]
[Image: 14909.jpg]

I've seen some topics on the forums about a story or setting for Xonotic... And I've been wondering - why not just get in touch with authors of some free licensed pen&paper RPG system that already has a fine setting and storyline and use that? You get all the background (written usually by ppl who are more literate than programmers ;-) ), lots of ideas, sometimes even a couple of pictures (useful as concept art). Plus there'll be a RPG to play with some friends when the power shuts down ;-).

AFAIR Warsow has a similarly developed story, but they based it around a short novel or sth.

Worth considering IMHO.
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

(03-25-2010, 02:55 PM)Cyber Killer Wrote: I've seen some topics on the forums about a story or setting for Xonotic... And I've been wondering - why not just get in touch with authors of some free licensed pen&paper RPG system that already has a fine setting...
...Worth considering IMHO.

I agree with that, good idea!
Norbert

(03-25-2010, 02:55 PM)Cyber Killer Wrote: I've seen some topics on the forums about a story or setting for Xonotic... And I've been wondering - why not just get in touch with authors of some free licensed pen&paper RPG system that already has a fine setting and storyline and use that? You get all the background (written usually by ppl who are more literate than programmers ;-) ), lots of ideas, sometimes even a couple of pictures (useful as concept art). Plus there'll be a RPG to play with some friends when the power shuts down ;-).

AFAIR Warsow has a similarly developed story, but they based it around a short novel or sth.

Worth considering IMHO.

I think the community would rather make it themselves since it's our game, rather than outsource it. Dealing with other companies is kind of what killed Nexuiz.

(03-26-2010, 09:06 AM)MC SE7EN Wrote: I think the community would rather make it themselves since it's our game, rather than outsource it. Dealing with other companies is kind of what killed Nexuiz.

Having an own base of storyline is not outsourcing the game. I don't think, that it was told in that comment, that we shall outsource the story, but basing ours on something already being developed, or having similarities, like you can find Orc's in many Fantasy games.
Norbert

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Advanced Duel - A Concept asyyy 22 19,821 02-22-2012, 05:12 AM
Last Post: rafallus
  [SUGGESTION] Cold truth about any Story mode for Xonotic. ai 60 62,660 10-27-2011, 08:44 PM
Last Post: Sarge999
  [SUGGESTION] Xonotic Story draft (aka oh man this could be worse than physics) Minkovsky 15 17,616 10-13-2011, 01:53 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  [SUGGESTION] A separate forum for Story Mode? MANERS 12 13,257 09-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] How singleplayer/story mode might work ThePWTULN 10 11,103 05-01-2010, 10:11 AM
Last Post: rainerzufalldererste
  [SUGGESTION] Weapon Concept Silica Gel: Do Not Eat 3 4,749 03-31-2010, 12:43 PM
Last Post: chooksta
  [SUGGESTION] Story or Book? EvilSpaceHamster 10 10,000 03-29-2010, 04:48 AM
Last Post: vaan
  [SUGGESTION] Story AllegedlyDead 6 6,833 03-23-2010, 06:16 PM
Last Post: AllegedlyDead