Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New gametype: "Tag"

Hey there,

While learning the mutator system I developed a new gamemode, based on "catch" in teeworlds. Smile

Basically everyone spawns with a unique color, and as you frag someone, they will change to your color. The player who initially spawned with the color that remains at the end of a round (when everyone have been tagged with the same color) wins that round.

There's a little twist though: Think of each spawning player as a "master" for that color. If a master gets fragged by player X, then all players with the same color as this master will change to player X's color. In other words once you have been fragged even one time in a round, you can't win anymore: your starting color will have "died out". This way rounds are both faster, and there won't be weird situations where a master with several teammates gets fragged by another team, and then tries to get his old teammates to frag him again so he can get back into his initial team, thus have a chance of winning the game again.

Still have some quirks to sort out, but we already managed to test the mode today and it was lots of fun, even though it might sound confusing at first (and yes, it IS confusing at first).

Edit: Oh you can test it by switching to fruitiex/gamemode_tag in xonotic-data.pk3dir, and fruitiex/tag_mapinfo in xonotic-maps.pk3dir. Enjoy bots shooting teammates, they haven't been taught who is the enemy and who is not. Yet. Tongue

Edit2: Name is also open for discussion. Other suggestions have been e.g. infection...
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

cool idea! Smile

Sounds like a cool idea. Perhaps "epidemic" may be a catchy gamemode name.

i tried it today. briliant! Smile

Sounds fun! Totally want this in the final release!

Although you way want a high-vis way of notifying a player that he has changed teams (when his master gets fragged)

(11-14-2010, 02:56 PM)nowego4 Wrote: Sounds fun! Totally want this in the final release!

Although you way want a high-vis way of notifying a player that he has changed teams (when his master gets fragged)

Yep, the screen now flashes in the new color. Smile
(assuming that you have the cvars, which most don't as of yet, since the mode wasn't merged yet)
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

This sounds fun! Can you vote for this game mode on public servers (like yours?)? Testing doesn't really feel realistic when playing against bots.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

This is a really cool gametype. SmileSmile

Have played it yesterday.

Please, name it "C o l o r s !" HeartBig Grin

(or "Color Tag", obviously)
(Edit: Now, that i think about it, it's similar to Domination, so "Color Domination", maybe (or "DTC" ("Dominate the Color")).)
(Editedit: Because something like "infection" would be more fitting, if by getting the color you'd also keep losing health, for example.)
(Editeditedit4000: Well done, FruitieX! Smile )
4m038105 - Be the change.

(11-15-2010, 10:51 AM)The mysterious Mr. 4m Wrote: Please, name it "C o l o r s !" HeartBig Grin

(Edit: Now, that i think about it, it's similar to Domination, so "Color Domination", maybe (or "DTC" ("Dominate the Color")).)
(Editedit: Because something like "infection" would be more fitting, if by getting the color you'd also keep losing health, for example.)

!!!!!!Warning!!!!!
For french readers, DTC is a very popular accronym standing for "Dans Ton Cul", which basically means "In Your Ass".
My duty was to warn...

More serisouly, the idea sounds nice. One weird thing however: if I understand correclty, when I'm fragged by Mr X, I will have to fight for the Mr X's win, right?
If I am correct, I see hardly someone fighting for another one's victory, on public servers for example.

Edit: As for the name, I propose: "Teletubbies mode".
Or "Reservoir Dogs mode".
Or "Bioman mode".
Fat.bot.Slim

I played this game type and it was fun. It's like a very dynamic Team DeathMatch. The game state can change each second:

- your color (team) can change during the match
- the number of allies / enemies can change during the match

For example, if you don't go alone, suddenly your teammate next to you can kill u if he's killed! Tongue This makes you experience an even funnier game.

Good work, FruitieX.
Xonotic player
[BOT] member

(11-15-2010, 12:13 PM)Rage_ATWM Wrote: More serisouly, the idea sounds nice. One weird thing however: if I understand correclty, when I'm fragged by Mr X, I will have to fight for the Mr X's win, right?
If I am correct, I see hardly someone fighting for another one's victory, on public servers for example.

I like this mode too - very much indeed. But I have the same concerns as Rage here with regard to public servers. And: you can easily influence which of the other teams will win - on public servers this might turn out to be a problem... but coming to think of it, abuse would naturally lead to better balance, since people would try to get into the lowest scoring team Big Grin

A totally different approach to the standard gameplay would this mode get if played on maps with a lot of really good (and potentially hard to reach) hiding spots. Tongue This could be REALLY funny!

Another idea: how about making it even more like a chase and use the shotgun secondary for tagging instead of the minstanex? Or something non-hitscan at least?
My Xonstats Profile

this has chooks 2 wings up in approval

<^_^>

umm
ok i cant do wings , but i still approve

ty fruity

:^

(11-15-2010, 12:13 PM)Rage_ATWM Wrote:
(11-15-2010, 10:51 AM)The mysterious Mr. 4m Wrote: Please, name it "C o l o r s !" HeartBig Grin

!!!!!!Warning!!!!!
For french readers, DTC is a very popular accronym standing for "Dans Ton Cul", which basically means "In Your Ass".
My duty was to warn...

Then my mission was succsessful! XD
Just kidding. i figured there would be something with that acronym, but i was too comfortable to even google. The worst that could happen, so i thought, would be a lawyers company with those initials.
4m038105 - Be the change.

Ok, played it on [NL] and I (and others) though it would be very helpful to know who the masters were, that way you could protect yours/attack the enemy's, and the minions would try to protect theirs and get enemy's.
Just an idea, might ruin gameplay, might help it.

(01-06-2011, 03:09 PM)nowego4 Wrote: Ok, played it on [NL] and I (and others) though it would be very helpful to know who the masters were, that way you could protect yours/attack the enemy's, and the minions would try to protect theirs and get enemy's.
Just an idea, might ruin gameplay, might help it.
Yes, that would indeed be very helpful. Plus, the colors become rather hard to distinguish if you are playing with many people. I played matches where we had several rounds where nobody really new who is the one that's just slightly different blue/pink/yellow/green than the others. We started shooting at everybody just for testing... that's kind of odd.
My Xonstats Profile

(01-07-2011, 10:05 AM)Halogene Wrote: Yes, that would indeed be very helpful. Plus, the colors become rather hard to distinguish if you are playing with many people. I played matches where we had several rounds where nobody really new who is the one that's just slightly different blue/pink/yellow/green than the others. We started shooting at everybody just for testing... that's kind of odd.

Agreed, when I played the yellow/yellow-green/green/blue-green colors were very hard to tell between. I went a whole round once thinking I was doing great till all of a sudden the other shade of green (which was everybody else) realized that I wasn't on their team, and when they started shooting at me I realized the same (even though we had managed to fight on the same side the whole time lol).

Another thing, the mines from the mine layer will blow up on teammates.

But a very good idea for a gamemode, keep pursuing Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Idea] “Knockout” gametype NaitLee 3 1,743 10-09-2022, 03:45 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  Survival gametype Lyberta 5 5,506 02-18-2021, 04:26 PM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  [NEED HELP] Gametype Invasion, Playermodel Bots Dan Hover 9 6,037 01-26-2019, 02:04 PM
Last Post: Dan Hover
  GunGame gametype Lyberta 4 5,246 01-20-2019, 09:14 AM
Last Post: 3agle427
  Another new gamemode, Freeze Tag FruitieX 16 15,998 01-17-2011, 05:08 AM
Last Post: Halogene
  TAG Seeker divVerent 40 35,270 11-27-2010, 12:56 AM
Last Post: tZork