Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Xtinyworld

I`m not much of a game mapper, i`m a newbie at map developing and Xtinyworld reflects that. It is a small and fast paced "room-like" map that supports DM, TDM and CTF. The first person that tested this map was Calinou, so here i am sharing my map with you the other members of this community.

Feel free to post feedback. Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.pk3   Xtinyworld.pk3 (Size: 487.91 KB / Downloads: 21)

cool man!

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=296]
[BOT] Necrotic got fished by [BOT] Gator xD
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

what's up with the shark? And why was there a trumpet in earlier releases?
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

(11-22-2010, 12:02 PM)Minkovsky Wrote: And why was there a trumpet in earlier releases?

because of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD66UFs8TEs

the trout is used as a symbol for a melee attack
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

I bet it has to do with the fact that the shoutgun can be used as a bat, like an secondary attack Tongue

Just downloaded, installed, and checked it out. I haven't done a live-fire test yet (perhaps tomorrow), but here are my initial thoughts:

1) Great concept! I love the dense complexity, without the getting-lost factor. Easy to learn your way around, while still providing good dynamics.

2) I like the powerups in the center with the pseudo-open arena. Good idea. It gives incentive to hold the middle.

3) Being able to get on the top is a good idea. It works well because even on top you don't cover every part of the board.

4) Better texturing on the walls in the arena would be good. More worn, less bright.

5) Lots of weapons... might want to try to limit the weapons available. Less explosives maybe, more bullet weapons.
Proverbs 25:8 Go not forth hastily to strive, lest thou know not what to do in the end thereof, when thy neighbour hath put thee to shame.

Sir Emeth Mimetes: thank you for the feedback, i`m a newbie mapper but regarding 4 and 5 i will keep them in mind when creating a map Smile

I just played a TDM on it with bots. Lots of fun.

It seems to me that there are two ways you could go with it. You could load it down with weapons like you got it (makes it extremely fast paced and dynamic), or you could limit the weapons on it (possibly only bullet and explosive weapons). It is up to you which you choose. Smile

I would suggest removing the mine layer. It doesn't seem to fit with the tiny size and quick rotation of sides you got there.

I like the health and armor placement, very handy.

Spawning points (if those were designed, I don't know), seemed to be well chosen as well.

In other words: balance the weapons a bit, and renovate the textures, and you got yourself a good map. In my book at least. Smile
Proverbs 25:8 Go not forth hastily to strive, lest thou know not what to do in the end thereof, when thy neighbour hath put thee to shame.

"Spawning points (if those were designed, I don't know), seemed to be well chosen as well."

The spawn points where provided by netradiant i just placed them on the map.

Good placing. Smile

Just a couple of graphical points:

[Image: 66g6gadoys986vtb0ap_thumb.jpg]
[Image: 370.png] AKA [~] John Smith on Nexuiz

(11-22-2010, 12:02 PM)Minkovsky Wrote: what's up with the shark? And why was there a trumpet in earlier releases?

Because, while it may not be the case with EVERY 3D GAME out there, the overwhelming majority feel the need to equip you with: A dagger, a cleaver, a chainsaw, or a @&#%n' tuba.

ThePWTULN:
"this bit should be aligned with the ground..." yes you may be right, i have used different textures one for the walls and one for ground, since is a room-like map, thanks for the tip i will try to study netradiant better
"the texture here needs to be aligned..." is that bad that the edge is a bit off? or just an advice for the future ?
"is this supposed to be perpendicular..." yes they should but netradiant has a different way of working that gtkradiant(used under urban terror).
For me mapping is something new and netradiant is much newer that gtkradiant but if i will design something in the future i will keep in mind your observations as well.

Sir Emeth Mimetes: thanks Big Grin

(11-27-2010, 03:01 AM)Creation Wrote: "the texture here needs to be aligned..." is that bad that the edge is a bit off? or just an advice for the future ?

It's not a big problem, it just looks like you have some really flat bricks and some bricks that are almost square Tongue
[Image: 370.png] AKA [~] John Smith on Nexuiz

Oh, so is only just a matter of visual detail Tongue

Even if my map is not that great compared to others i`m happy to see it posted on the Xonotic Wiki Smile

I get the impression from the feedback that you could improve on the level. Considering your experience with mapping the gameplay is good. I'm sure it could be a popular map in the future. Take The PWTULN and Sir Emeth Mimetes advice though.