Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
maze

This map is designed less for visuals and more for fun gameplay. It is based off of a map some of my cousins made in forge for halo. the layout isn't exactly the same, but it's the same general concept.

I tried it with bots, but i have a feeling it would be a lot more fun with other people.

[Image: xonotic000007-1.jpg]

download (old)

if you have any ideas for how it could be improved, please let me know Smile

EDIT:
new version

EDIT:
newer newer version
http://beta.xonotic.org/autobuild-bsp/ma...1bfcf3.pk3
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

I fail to see the point of the maze if you can just laser over the top to get to where you want to go or find the enemy.

+1 for the TAG though.

yeah, it's not actually supposed to be a maze in the sense that you can't find the enemy. that would just be annoying. what it kind of is is a 2 story maze, the top one formed by the walls of the bottom one, and the majority of the action is in the interaction between the two.

Imgur Gallery

ah, maybe put some weapons on top then too, and give some warning on when your going to far away (starts hurting a little, then a little more, then a lot, then dead).

Somebody would have to put it on their server to play with other people.

yeah, if you go to far, it starts hurting you.

also, I updated it with bot waypoints.

get it here

Imgur Gallery

Maybe make it that it starts hurting you when you leave the maze, because when I played it online today the main action was basically only outside of the maze (CA though with all weapons).

And just to reiterate that: CA with tag seeker sucks ;D
He can talk the talk, but can he caulk the caulk?

How about "covering" parts of the maze with moving platforms, so that even if you are above you can only see parts of the hallways?

Oh, and jetpack! =)

YES JETPACK!!!!
When i first saw this map i was like, man it's stupid you can just laser over the map.
But after playing it, I totally like the gameplay of jumping over the maze combined with running through it.
It needs more work but i love the concept, I also love that lonely little rock with the tag seeker, however,
the seeker here is very overpowered....... Big Grin
Some warning signs that you are about to die would be nice out in the desert. Perhaps have two layers of hurt, one that is only 3 health per second or so before you get to the total annihilation hurt.
Also consider some fog like that in courtfun where you can still the see the skybox, I reckon the one in courtfun is even the right colour, also some of them little sandy puff particle effects that are in the open part of red planet, not too many though ay.
I like the light and feel of the sandy bowl that is the base of this map, I was thinking of using it with some bits of Relent (the Soylent remake i am working on) that have crashed to earth.
Cool Beans theShadow.
nomnomnomnonmonm:
"the best trolls are indistinguishable from idiots"

(01-03-2011, 05:30 AM)Rad Ished Wrote: YES JETPACK!!!!

ok Smile

(01-03-2011, 05:30 AM)Rad Ished Wrote: When i first saw this map i was like, man it's stupid you can just laser over the map.
But after playing it, I totally like the gameplay of jumping over the maze combined with running through it.
It needs more work but i love the concept, I also love that lonely little rock with the tag seeker, however,
the seeker here is very overpowered....... Big Grin

thank you Smile

also, i originally played with having the fireball gun out there, but for some reason the fireball primary doesn't work. (the now the fireball gun is really weak, even though it works really well on this map)

(01-03-2011, 05:30 AM)Rad Ished Wrote: Some warning signs that you are about to die would be nice out in the desert. Perhaps have two layers of hurt, one that is only 3 health per second or so before you get to the total annihilation hurt.

ok. I can do that. should I have the TAG spawn inside of the first layer, to keep people from camping it?

(01-03-2011, 05:30 AM)Rad Ished Wrote: Also consider some fog like that in courtfun where you can still the see the skybox, I reckon the one in courtfun is even the right colour, also some of them little sandy puff particle effects that are in the open part of red planet, not too many though ay.

I tried the fog, but I how do I leep it from hiding the skybox?
also, i like the idea about the sand effect in red planet.

(01-03-2011, 05:30 AM)Rad Ished Wrote: I like the light and feel of the sandy bowl that is the base of this map, I was thinking of using it with some bits of Relent (the Soylent remake i am working on) that have crashed to earth.

Cool Beans theShadow.

again, thank you. I will implement the things you suggested. Smile

Imgur Gallery

(01-03-2011, 05:30 AM)Rad Ished Wrote: ...them little sandy puff particle effects that are in the open part of red planet, not too many though ay.

Yeah, Red Planet is known for having lower performance on lower-end machines, (I don't have a problem with this, but anyway) partially caused by the amount of particles on it. If you want this to be a "serious" duel map then be careful about how much you abuse performance, in "serious" matches people would rather have the FPS and forego the dust.

But I'm not a dueler so go for it!

theShadow,
To keep the skybox visible with fog you have to add some alpha, I have no idea how to this, but the fog in courtfun will tell you.
Either look in the worldspawn of courtfun ,of you can also put it in the map info, there is also a way to enforce the fog, it;s important that you do this or people will just turn it off (i do, shhh)
nomnomnomnonmonm:

Wow, just played this with Freezetag on [NL] server, 5on5, and it was supreme! I did see someone run to their death in the invisible wall, but that TAG Seeker wasn't abused as much as I though it would be.

The two levels is nice, I actually support keeping all the stuff on the bottom level now because I found if I was hurting I would stay low (out of sniper fire) and collect health/let it build up. If I was hunting someone, I could laser up top quickly and bunnyhop across the top level.

I would support bringing the hurt field in a little, right now the snipers go to the outfield and wait for enemy to laser up.

GJ, this map was a big hit. Big Grin

The idea is quite good, you can jump out of the maze with laser but then you risk your life by getting hit from guys on the side with sniper rifles, and if you stay inside they cant hit you.
However I DO think that you should reaaaaly work on the visuals of the map, just to tune it up a little, it feels to be a bit "mah first map"ish this way Tongue try adding some light elements into the walls, some closed down spaces where you cant jump out etc etc, it would make this map even more fun Wink

ok. I can work on visuals.

also, there are already some closed off spaces. try and find the strength Wink

Imgur Gallery

I happen to like the gameplay on this map as well, even though its layout is absolutely simplicistic. I have some ideas how to make the visuals better: you could replace some of the bricks with metal grids that you can see through, or use more metallic surfaces in general (like metallic pillars connected with grids or plates, but make sure to playerclip it properly so you don't get stuck).

For improving the gameplay even more I'd suggest to subdivide the map in four subsections and try to give each subsection of the map a different atmosphere (by using colored lights and colored trims for example), so that you'd more easily know where you are when you spawn.

The place for the strength is good as it is, you'll get into trouble going there if there are a lot of snipers, and waiting there is very dangerous too since you are very vulnerable to crylink, hagar and electro spam in that enclosed place.

I love how one of the strength's most powerful function is to laser people into the hurt trigger Big Grin

I would like this map be improved visually to an extent it actually meets Xonotic's design requirements, so that it can be added to master. The gameplay indeed is very much fun on this map.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Yeah a map like this could be fun to be a stock map, however even if the gameplay is very fun (nice weapon positions and spreadout) I think it would need really big design switch to fit into the Xonotic atmosphere.
I have no doubt that theShadow can easily make it fit the actual Xonotic visual requirements, thats for sure Smile

However if the map aims to go for such a goal, then ammo boxes will have to be replaced differently: its not too favored to place down a weapon and stack it around with the same type of ammo on the stock maps. And same with health, probably there should be more HP bubbles and usually more than 1x100 armor is favored on the DM maps.

I also have another idea: maybe you could make the walls of quad made from some sort of muddy-glassish, so people could notice it easier. Another idea to close down the maps on some places above with glass, so its not possible to jump out, however you can see if people are walking oveer you can you can splash damage them. Maybe it could work out for the center of the map Tongue
Maybe you could place some "glass windows" into the walls so people can see through it on some places.

Good suggestions, a bit more transparency at strategical positions would indeed be a good idea.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

I am sorry to say i disagree.
I think it should all be solid, I like the tension of not knowing whats going on in these areas. And faking players out by going/not going/coming back (lalala).
You forget: if you can see them they can see you.
OH! IDEA!!
one way glass!
So, if you camp the quad people can see in... but you can't see out...
Anyway, glad to see you are working on stuff with this map MrShadow.
I was immediately taken by the gameplay and general feel here.
Excellent work sir.
nomnomnomnonmonm:

(01-01-2011, 02:50 PM)theShadow Wrote: This map is designed less for visuals and more for fun gameplay.

As a fun map i think its fine as it is.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

I like it a lot! One of my favorite maps so far. Smile

The only thing is that the bots kind of hang out where they are dropped, instead of moving about (at least until I go up to them).
Proverbs 25:8 Go not forth hastily to strive, lest thou know not what to do in the end thereof, when thy neighbour hath put thee to shame.

yeah. i tried to make waypoints for them, but I guess I uploaded the wrong file or something.

Imgur Gallery

NEW VERSION

http://beta.xonotic.org/autobuild-bsp/ma...1bfcf3.pk3

Imgur Gallery

Really really nice changes man! I like that you added new stuffs, and extended the possiblities whily keeping the whole feeling of the map. Those higher areas are very useful, and its also very much welcomed that now there are more ways out from the maze (without laser). I also like how nicely the distances come out when you are jumping around!
Keep up the good work!

(01-22-2011, 12:52 PM)theShadow Wrote: yeah. i tried to make waypoints for them, but I guess I uploaded the wrong file or something.

Ok...but the bots are still dumb (and stand a place) in the new upload.