Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Dynamically adapt respawn times to player count

Just a thought (or maybe it's already implemented and I didn't notice?). I noticed that a good deal of time I am running around with laser and shotty during matches. Getting weapons got more important, depending on the map. But also the health and armor refilling is something you need to invest more time into than before.

That's why I thought maybe it would help to adapt weapon/ammo respawns dynamically, maybe even health and armor respawns (except for the mega respawns, which people tend to memorize and time). Meaning that when you have a lot of players on a server, things respawn quicker, whereas they respawn in the regular time intervals when there are only a few players.

Is that idea totally weird? Or what do you think?
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Nah, just make 5 secs item respawn time the default in all game modes, except ladder rules.. Or maybe weaponstay 1.. I'd prefer the 5 secs respawn time because then you can also stack up ammo while lingering around at a weapon..
He can talk the talk, but can he caulk the caulk?

Yes, but item control is an interesting aspect of gameplay, isn't it. The problem is, that you need more ammo/weapons for more players and less for less, so by dynamically adjusting the respawn time I thought we could maybe keep item control similarily important.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

For clarification: Do you mean for public matches? Or for competitive games? Note: Even for competitive games in QuakeLive you have 5 secs weapon respawn time for all weapons in duel and CTF modes..

But do we need to copy stuff? Or do we want to get people from other games play Xonotic? Wink

I like the idea of faster spawn times if there are a lot of people online.

Weaponstay > 5 secs spawn IMO (if one of them is needed), because 5 secs respawn makes ammo boxes kind of useless and prolly ammo in general! You can spend a little amount of time to get tons of ammo, that you barely can run out of ammo (which is an aspect of gameplay too; 'watch your ammo').

Other 'idea': Weapons != Ammo; disallow a pick up of a weapon that you already have so there are enough for everyone. Though kind of same effect like Weaponstay and removes also the aspect of controlling items.
Still there is always a important difference between Public games & competitive games and 'Single Player'-modes (DM,LMS,..) & 'Team'-modes (CTF,KH,..).

Weaponstay or low respawn time could work in publics, but I like the item control aspect in competitive games so there it should be like it is at the moment.

Well, i don't think it's a good thing always to copy another game. But if another game does something right, why not copy it and do something else in the parts where the other game gets it wrong. QL has so many wrong things about it, that it made me go back to xonotic Big Grin

The problem with weapon stay is that some maps don't have any ammo for some weapons. In these cases you are screwed once you run out of ammo, as another pickup won't give you more ammo.. Then there's different weaponstay modes which might fix this one way or another, but i haven't really inspected all of them..

i'm a fan of random respawns.

Like, when respawning after you're fragged, first, maybe 1 second delay, then, the second time you're fragged a delay of 10 minutes.... o_°
And the Quad would respawn and stay at a delay of a 100th of a second, so you couldn't get it.... That i consider fun!
4m038105 - Be the change.

When weaponstay = ON, you shouldn't be able to pick up another gun again off it's spawn, when Weaponstay = OFF you should be able to pick up the gun again.

Weaponstay ON for public server's to stop what Halogene said and having to run around with the shotty and laser all the time for new player's nothing worse as a new new player to FPS and can't get a weapon, experienced player's can venture into ladder settings.

So Weaponstay = ON for publics for all game-modes.
Weaponstay = OFF for competitive/ladder game's, like 1on1/TDM, except in game-mode's where it actually is really needed ON like CTF & Assault.

Not too sure about this respawn stuff you propose though depending on player count's, guess it doesn't hurt to try it out Smile
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] gibs/corpses that dissappear on player respawn and subtle disappearing decals Lee_Stricklin 1 4,157 05-04-2012, 03:51 PM
Last Post: rocknroll237
  [SUGGESTION] 5 secs respawn for weapons as default lda17h 15 15,828 11-22-2011, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin