Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
[SUGGESTION] Maps with forest and rain effect?

Hi! I think it would be cool with maps with rain effect and a forest. Best Regards

Not to burst your bubble, but dp was meant for indoor arenas, being based on quake. Outdoor maps are not really part of the xonotic style.
bye / bad luck and have boredom

I know of Ruiner from Nexuiz. Those maps looks cool but I don't remember them from the latest release of Xonotic, were they added after that release maybe?

(05-27-2011, 06:55 AM)CireG Wrote: Those maps looks cool but I don't remember them from the latest release of Xonotic, were they added after that release maybe?

those maps arent official, they are just custom maps
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Wink 
Sorry, I got the impression when you said forest that you wanted something like a Crysis forest or something. That is what I meant didn't fit.

Those maps mentioned still have "outdoor" elements, but it's not some outdoor open map, it still has the quake-like arena overall layout.

But I'm not a fucking mapper so I don't really know, I'm just talking from how I understand it.

Speaking as a mapper myself, adding vegetation/terrain in general is not that very easy. You need to have skills in 3D modelling and import these models to your map. Or we could have a dedicated modeler who makes high quality props that fit the theme of Xonotic, but we don't. Wink

It's not that very easy to come across high quality media when it comes to open source projects, unfortunately Sad
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

Now that I think about it, this game lacks an epic ice-themed level. Every game that had an epic ice level is automatically made better than what it otherwise would have been. Just take a look at Sonic 3 (best part of the game), Ristar (second best part of the game), Tribes 2 (best map in the game), MechWarrior 2 (most atmospheric part of the game), Metroid Prime (most memorable section in the game), Halo: CE (best part of the game), the list goes on... Ice level = epic.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Frozen colors (nexuiz map)

although idk if that fits in your awesomeness area

How about snowdance :3

Everyone on esk knows that map is just dance with two big snowmen at each base Big Grin

(05-27-2011, 03:17 AM)Mirio Wrote: Also Redsky Arena Deathmatch:
http://pics.nexuizninjaz.com/images/qozg...uwzhfk.jpg

Yeah, I should get to work on that... Tell me, should I add an indoors part and make it more like Solarium, or expand the outdoors area and kill more fps?
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

(05-30-2011, 12:05 PM)hutty Wrote: Frozen colors (nexuiz map)

although idk if that fits in your awesomeness area

That fits, but the problem with it is that it's actually a Quake III map, not a Nexuiz or Xonotic one.

Oh wait.

ice themed you say?
[Image: xonotic000006-1.jpg?t=1306796032]
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

What map is that?

Oh wait.

reflection. i'm still working on it, but you can download the latest version from the autocompile server
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

That sure is a nice map, my dear theShadow! I already played on it, and I like both the gameplay and the visual quality. Thought it was already finished Big Grin

Good work!

(05-31-2011, 02:31 AM)Mepper Wrote: Thought it was already finished Big Grin

it needs to be improved. the rocks which are made out of patches are killing the performance.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Speaking of rocks, whenever I try to make a brush-rock (brush + Brush > Rock...) they are walk-through, as though they aren't there. Bug? Am I doing something wrong?

Reflection looks nice compiled with lights, the one I played most recently was bsp only for some reason.

I believe the only possible and convincing way to do organic-like maps and environments without using patches (which on the one hand are heavy on the performance and on the other hand still don't give really satisfying result ) is the use of modeled meshes that are imported from an advanced 3d-editing tool like blender.
A good example of what can be possible is kat's 1024 map
http://www.katsbits.com/download/maps/qu...at1024.php
and the making of: http://www.katsbits.com/tutorials/idtech...levels.php

As you can see it's kinda uncomfortable to get everything working together, but it's definitely possible.
Another point already mentioned are non-existing assets/models, which could be used to a great extent to enhance the visual style of mostly every map. Having a modeler who is willing to contribute models like plants, boxes and statues would be a great benefit for all maps. But so far there is none Sad

(05-31-2011, 02:44 PM)Strahlemann Wrote: Having a modeler who is willing to contribute models like plants, boxes and statues would be a great benefit for all maps. But so far there is none Sad
I wanted to model for you but you turn down my offer

hey Morphed.
That must have been quite a while ago and i don't remeber that...
And my post was more generally speaking. The game needs models, not me, but i'd of course appreciate any kind of models you do and will use them wherever they fit Smile
The best thing to have would be some sets containing different models for a category ( industrial/nature/hi-tech/rubbish/organic/whatever ) to choose from.

Yep... would be a lot of work, but great!

Somebody Wrote:Epic ice-themed levels...
This is the planned theme of my next map after I finish the current one.

I would love to see such a map too! Sadly though, too many people believe Darkplaces can't handle complex outdoor areas at all... so no one tried making any Sad I have plans to make some forest map eventually, though.

Even if we create an outdoor map, it may not be too interesting. Isn't Xonotic set in space? We won't be able to do much beyond rocky mountains or volcanoes, as vegetation is out of the question in sci-fi, space-set games. There simply aren't any plants in space (or so I'm told Tongue). We could try and come up with fictional, "spacey" plants though.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Untapped potential: Tribal warfare maps and demolition derbies Lee_Stricklin 12 12,320 06-28-2012, 09:34 AM
Last Post: MajorYokoyurik0
  [SUGGESTION] Teleports and maps. maxyan 6 6,518 09-25-2011, 12:51 PM
Last Post: divVerent
  [SUGGESTION] Orange base and blue base instead of red and blue base? kay 24 19,280 06-07-2011, 02:00 AM
Last Post: divVerent
  [SUGGESTION] Old maps / "low-quality maps" Debugger 8 9,284 02-07-2011, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  [SUGGESTION] Fix high-ping strobe light effect? Dokujisan 5 6,106 02-05-2011, 04:14 AM
Last Post: chooksta
Lightbulb [SUGGESTION] postapocalyptic ambiance for maps and music _para 12 10,398 05-04-2010, 03:38 PM
Last Post: _para
  [SUGGESTION] Using Mediafire to host maps and such. Silverburn 14 16,502 03-23-2010, 03:06 PM
Last Post: Ronan