Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Make audio artist super-happy

I see what looks like a influx of audio music artist. This is a wellcome and amazing thing. I think the uniqueness of it deserve special atention. I don't know what the music people would ask from Xonotic. My limite no-audiophile imagination thinks that better support for formats and a integrated jukebox. But I could be wrong.

Discuss.

o m g!

a jukebox!!!

that is the BEST idea ever!!

think about it , your playing the game all/any tunes submitted get air time!
this is perfect

i dont know how the nerds can programme it , but

this could be a high class feature!

is there anything like it?

in my limited mind NO!

:^

(04-06-2010, 03:59 AM)chooksta Wrote: o m g!

a jukebox!!!

this is perfect

in my limited mind NO!

Jukebox would be nice whenever I'm playing one of the gazillion maps online that have no music or when I'm trying to play Augenkrebs (EYE CANCER) with ROFL sounds. As for more format support I don't think that's needed because outside of latency (which isn't an issue when listening to music) ogg sounds better than most and is GPL. If an artist needs to have a track converted to ogg then there are freely available tools to do that with and if for some reason they can't figure out how to use them then there's people like me that can do it for them.

(04-06-2010, 03:59 AM)chooksta Wrote: o m g!

a jukebox!!!

this is perfect

in my limited mind NO!

I prefer the term 'geek' Wink

This would be pretty simple. What about having an actual model of a jukebox in a section of each level that players can use to quickly select a song (like having a transparent menu pop up and use number keys to select)?

But really, all that would be required is a single qc script and make a function that when a player comes within 1/2 foot of the jukebox so to execute it's trigger (like auto open doors), to pop up a menu and when a player presses 2 for example, a song will be played (from if's within the qc file). Not the best description, but I like to keep posts short Wink

If a jukebox appears in levels like that then it needs to affect everyone who is using the game's music. It would add another dimension to the gameplay, like "Hey I liked that song!" and the guy goes pew pew pew as he runs to find the jukebox on a level he hasn't played before.
This is my laser, this is my gun,
This is for plinking, this is for FUN!

BrFJ: wtf with the jumpad
BrFJ: rofl
vael: oh, you'll wtf with the... a few more times don't worry

[Image: badge.png]

Humm... these are possible, but maybe It would be more usefull to have something more integrated on the engine.
(The part I have no idea how will work, is to detect wen a sound as finished playing...)

Music choices are something personal, and what one people like, other people may dislike. You could always make a script that "say" what music are you playing, like some IRC scripts.

Indeed, we're getting organized on the sounds area too. That's something we want to improve dramatically comparing with the previous project.

And something just about anyone can do is giving sincere feedback to artists, that is a least the first thing they will expect.

Not sure about what you meant with better audio formats, as far as I know OGG and MP3 format support is more than enough for our needs.

Even console playlist support would be great.
cd play track1 track2 track3 track4
would play those tracks in succession.
cd loop track1 track2 track3 track4
would play those tracks in succession then start track1 and loop again.

I do like this idea, it would definitely set the game apart and maybe spawn a comic gametype. But I think that not only would it require some planning (as it can easily get messy) but since there is no programming dedicated thread, I wouldn't know where to start =/

If I think I got this thread correctly then yeah, this is something I wanted even Nexuiz to have, unfortunately there were not enough coders or people willing to do that.
[Image: duck.gif]
ai am ai.

Fix the avatar size limit please! I want my avatar gifs back! DISCRIMINATION!
Also, change my name to 'ai', these forums sucks which can't have 2 letters in the nick!

Regarding the idea for people changing the song for the entire server, I think a better idea would be for the jukebox object to simply have a queue of songs (each player can only put one song in the queue), otherwise you might get people just fighting over the jukebox instead of, say, enemy flags.

I like the idea of having an actual jukebox in levels, though. Just one of those little things that makes the game more interesting. It's nice to see this community actually working together so well on new ideas. Smile

An in-game jukebox could be done by a mapper with the current resources we have. All you need are some trigger_multiples, target_sounds, etc.... The jukebox would only have what songs that the mapper chooses to include, though.
Mapper.

that one is a great idea.what if there was a vote for the next song ? I think this would be a cool feature and it would allow having many songs on one map.

voting for a track is a silly idea. who cares what others hear? i don't. everyone should be able to choose what he hears.

+1 to the jukebox thing
-1 to serverside

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any Audio FX Needed? TheAudioMonkey 20 13,866 04-27-2020, 07:31 AM
Last Post: Maaxqatsi
Music Go Get 'em - Music Track by The Audio Monkey TheAudioMonkey 16 15,604 03-14-2017, 03:57 PM
Last Post: TheAudioMonkey
Music [AUDIO]Just some ambient sounds :) mysterious 8 9,681 08-09-2011, 01:56 PM
Last Post: mysterious