Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Untapped potential: Tribal warfare maps and demolition derbies

Tribal Warfare (Tribes styled maps)
----------------------------
I actually made a thread about this already mentioning that Xonotic has the potential to RIGHT NOW do Tribes-styled gameplay better than any of the Tribes games themselves and there is even a map that shows it. Basically a tribal warfare map would be a map that focuses on Tribes-styled gameplay, which are generally LARGE open terrain maps, usually made up of hills with maybe a minor structure here or there as well as vehicles. An excellent example of such map is Evergreen. It should also be noted that you spawn with a recharging jetpack in Tribes, so map info should be modified to reflect this and hit scan weapons aren't that widely used in Tribes. Other stuff that can be thrown in such maps (particularly CTF maps) include: base generators (bring these down and you'll cripple some stuff until they respawn, the map Newtonian Nightmare does this with jump pads), and defenses such as turrets.

Thread where I first mentioned this:
http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=2588

Evergreen map (excellent proof of concept in my opinion, just needs a visual upgrade):
http://dietunichtguten.org/nexserv/Evergreen.pk3

Demolition Derby/Team Demolition Derby
-----------------------------
Name says it all. This is essentially deathmatch with Xonotic's vehicles. In these gametypes all of the players will spawn in (and be locked to) a vehicle and duke it out. Each player would be given identical vehicles to insure a fair fight. Imagine the Mech2-style fighting you'd see in the spider bots, the highspeed carnage you'd see with the wakazashi, or the dogfights you'd see with the raptors.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

I'm actually working on a tribes-ish map( well I stole the design from Legends really) , Though my mapping skills need to be improved before I present it.

How are the terrain options supported by DarkPlaces? Are big highmap based terrains supported or does it has to be done with BSP geometry?

Not a fan of tribes myself, but I do like the vehicle combat mode idea, but preferably in a more creative map than a demolition derby arena. I'd also like to be able to choose a vehicle. Vehicle combat would probably need a rebalancing though if all of the vehicles are used at once. I also would like the ability to get out of the vehicle.

Hey;-)
Good idea, I was talking with some server guys 2 make this mod. They are not interested coz it's 2 hard 4 them 2 make or they just didn't respond. 2 guns will be fine like minista - 4 far, and shotgun - 4 close. If there will be a granade even better and of-course jetpack;-) Similar settings as in tribes or overkill. If u guys will make a ctf mod 4 the beginning, will be a super fine;-) Good movement will be xpm as in cts and speed has 2 be really fast coz fast is what players want. Everyone wants 2 fly;-) Tribes ascend is nice game, but give me a nex and hook and I'm the King of Kings in TribesWink
Been playing minista jetpack in nexuiz 3 years ago, and I didn't like physics.
Thinking about that mod 4 a month and this stuff has 2 happened in xonotic.
A friend in-game told me about your thread in here u Lee_Stricklin, so do it if ur capable of.
Thx QorL

2 -> to or too
4 -> four
3 -> ???????????????????????????????????????

(06-04-2012, 05:21 PM)qorl Wrote: Hey;-)
Good idea, I was talking with some server guys 2 make this mod. They are not interested coz it's 2 hard 4 them 2 make or they just didn't respond. 2 guns will be fine like minista - 4 far, and shotgun - 4 close. If there will be a granade even better and of-course jetpack;-) Similar settings as in tribes or overkill. If u guys will make a ctf mod 4 the beginning, will be a super fine;-) Good movement will be xpm as in cts and speed has 2 be really fast coz fast is what players want. Everyone wants 2 fly;-) Tribes ascend is nice game, but give me a nex and hook and I'm the King of Kings in TribesWink
A friend in-game told me about your thread in here u Lee_Stricklin, so do it if ur capable of.
Thx QorL

Nice! I can't work on this mod, but I'll happily test it for you.

(06-05-2012, 05:02 AM)rocknroll237 Wrote:
Thx QorL

New players are coming everyday and always asking what else xonotic has to offer.
Thx QorL

Thx QorL

I think qorl meant the people he talked to are NOT interested in modding because it's "2 hard 4 them 2 make". But I'm not sure because this message is 7 hard 8 me 5 read.

(06-05-2012, 12:20 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote:
Thx QorL

I think qorl meant the people he talked to are NOT interested in modding because it's "2 hard 4 them 2 make". But I'm not sure because this message is 7 hard 8 me 5 read.
I'm no good in binary;-) 01100110011100100110100101100101011011100110010001110011001110110010110100101001

Smile

Yeah, I know what Qorl meant, I was just saying that if people decide to help him with it (unfortunately I can't Sad), then I'd happily play test it.

I completely agree that Xonotic needs more Tribes-based gameplay in it one way or another. I would focus more on the Tribes 2 model rather than newer or older of the Tribes-like games.

I was afraid quake lacked the capability for very large maps, but with Evergreen and the more recent TopOfTheWorld maps that include fog, it seems much more possible. The necessity of fog is something of a drawback, but not that much. I was thinking idTech4 would be more capable (whenever a nice functional and stable community version is released), considering it's mostly Tribes-like already, and they already made a Tribes mod for ET: QW.

The Tribes 2 model was a successful model, just it lacked some degree of popularity, possibly due to poor advertising and engine bugyness. I'd say an exact remake, made stable and with updated graphics would be successful, as long as many of the old mods are included, because the basic Tribes 2 without mods, wasn't very good or balanced overall ... just interesting due to the capabilities and endless maps.

As for merely integrating the idea as maps, you can try it, but the full effect of the idea lies in a full modification. The greatest problem lies in the fact that there are an endless number of arena-FPS games based on quake, and the fans of those are the ones attracted to Xonotic. And it seems they just want more "spam arenas". Now, why in the world are quake games that stray from "spam arenas" more popular, eh? For instance, ET: QW, Tremulous, and Urban Terror (evil, thieving, anti-modding bastoids that they are).

I think it would be a good idea to get away from the "spam areas" idea, and a full Tribes 2-like mod would do it. Why would you want to preserve the spam area aspect? What part of it is nice? I know they've been striving for UT2k4 type, but it had much much more and better things. Most of the weapons atm are rather useless or very cumbersome in active battle. The walkers are usually too slow for larger maps, and walking without a vehicle is already a pain on TopOfTheWorld ... I always use the jet pack ... so awesome. Too bad most of the weapons can't readily take down vehicles within a reasonable time and at a reasonable distance.

For sure, more and better-suited weapons and vehicles are needed, and I think the Tribes 2 model fits the bill. It could potentially draw many Tribes fans as well.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Teleports and maps. maxyan 6 6,496 09-25-2011, 12:51 PM
Last Post: divVerent
  [SUGGESTION] Maps with forest and rain effect? CireG 23 23,895 06-13-2011, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Friskydingo
  [SUGGESTION] Orange base and blue base instead of red and blue base? kay 24 19,196 06-07-2011, 02:00 AM
Last Post: divVerent
  [SUGGESTION] Old maps / "low-quality maps" Debugger 8 9,253 02-07-2011, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
Lightbulb [SUGGESTION] postapocalyptic ambiance for maps and music _para 12 10,360 05-04-2010, 03:38 PM
Last Post: _para
  [SUGGESTION] Using Mediafire to host maps and such. Silverburn 14 16,454 03-23-2010, 03:06 PM
Last Post: Ronan