Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
[SUGGESTION] Effects of Death

Photo 
when you die there should be something like that:
- Slowmotion of death (about 3 seconds) with motion blur
[Image: nexuiz1.jpg]

- Camara flying to killer with motion blur and deep blur (about 2 seconds)
[Image: nexuizheadshot.jpg]

(@XonoticDevelopers:
[Image: nexuizpic1.png] [Image: nexuizpic2.png] [Image: nexuizpic3.png]
if you need more please post a message)

What do you think of that? God? Bad? Please post a reply!!!

I'm not sure that would be a great idea. Usually if you die, you respawn very quickly, so there is no time for any animation. Plus, the guy that killed you is probably long gone when you try to do the animation.

Also, regarding the writing with blood... I'm not sure that will go with the theme of the game. This is not They Hunger. Tongue

I'm with the guy above me. If I want violence, I'll turn on the news.

This seems a little too much like COD:MW2 "Kill Cam". It's a cool idea, but I'm not sure it will help or hurt the gameplay. The pace of this game will be much faster, as Aleator pointed out. I think we should focus more on demo playback, editing, and cropping. A more sophisticated demo system would make it much easier for players to make their own highlight videos creating more unique, user generated content.
Latest obsession.

This isn't Unreal Tournament, Combat Arms, or Modern Warfare. THIS IS XONOTIC! THE SUCCESSOR TO NEXUIZ!!1!!1!one!!

I disagree with the OP.
However. What about some blur when you are low on Hit points?

(03-22-2010, 09:52 PM)fabianhjr Wrote: I disagree with the OP.

A slight blur (but nothing ridiculous) and drastically reduced saturation on colors would be really cool for near-death health count if it's doable.

Tongue You read minds all powerful Lee!
So:Reduce contrast(A little grayish) and some blur. What about a 3 hit points or lower having a "Drunk Effect";You could guess how this is

I do not agree with the blur and desaturation. It makes you lose focus. There are better ways to signal low hit points.

you could use it only in a few gametypes like TDM

-1 for the idea
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

I rather like Team Fortress 2's snapshot, when you get a still of your killer. For low hitpoints, the HUD pulsating red is the usual.
Parents of young organic life forms are warned that towels can be harmful, if swallowed in large quantities.

(03-22-2010, 09:54 PM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote:
(03-22-2010, 09:52 PM)fabianhjr Wrote: I disagree with the OP.

A slight blur (but nothing ridiculous) and drastically reduced saturation on colors would be really cool for near-death health count if it's doable.

I think some red blood-type stuff around the edges of the screen would be good (nothing gory or whatever, just like a blurring more around the edges with a red tint, like you got shot and had some blood in your eye or something..idk a way to describe it that doesnt sound gory…check out the King Kong video game for an example of what i meant: about 2:20 in. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSsN_wtCxYs)

now, its like that, but only around the edges so the focus could stay in the center for the most part..idk maybe its just me...

(03-22-2010, 08:37 PM)BennyDacks Wrote: This seems a little too much like COD:MW2 "Kill Cam". It's a cool idea, but I'm not sure it will help or hurt the gameplay. The pace of this game will be much faster, as Aleator pointed out. I think we should focus more on demo playback, editing, and cropping. A more sophisticated demo system would make it much easier for players to make their own highlight videos creating more unique, user generated content.

I like the idea of a more advanced demo system with editing as for the "effects of death" I wouldn't want more then the low hp sounds that go off, maybe a flashing HUD. But absolutely no drunk effect like a v_idlescale 20 type thing i'm trying to frag the guy before I die I don't want to feel like I have an inner ear infection while doing it.
<[-z-]> have you seen the documentary "happy"?
<Samual_> no
<Samual_> it sounds horrible

on DTG servers there's a feature - some scary voice shouts "HEADSHOT" when you hit in sbd's head. My first thought was, oh how nice!! but after some time it became a bit annoying. After a longer period of time it became horrobly annoying Tongue but this is minsta server so headshots happen more often...
anyway, some death animations can be added to a singleplayer game. In multi, game is just too fast even for 3-second-animation.
But i like the idea of blur and reduced saturation while having about 10 HP, but drunk effect is too much imo.
<Halogene> ok "n1" means "nice one"
<Halogene> "gl" means "good luck"
<Halogene> "fu" means "wow that was wickedly nice that frag"
Frogg on Instagram

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] ragdoll death animation request Droid 28 33,207 02-22-2014, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Nahuel
Lightbulb [SUGGESTION] Frags per death nowego4 18 18,803 09-10-2010, 04:51 AM
Last Post: Contrarian
  [SUGGESTION] Weapons' visual effects vede 11 12,410 04-27-2010, 05:05 PM
Last Post: ThePWTULN
  [SUGGESTION] 1st person, BOOOM DEATH SHOT 3rd person, SPAWN 1st person kay 29 31,580 04-10-2010, 03:26 PM
Last Post: Roanoke
  [SUGGESTION] Feign Death .Kt 7 7,402 04-09-2010, 04:39 AM
Last Post: Contrarian