Create an account

Poll: You likey or not?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yap
29.63%
8 29.63%
Nope
25.93%
7 25.93%
Don't care
44.44%
12 44.44%
Total 27 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[SUGGESTION] 1st person, BOOOM DEATH SHOT 3rd person, SPAWN 1st person

1st person, BOOOM DEATH SHOT 3rd person, SPAWN 1st person,

do you get it?
If you have been killed the view starts over in to 3rd person so you can see the player model splash out or flies away. Many fps have this.
Is this a good idea.

I'd vote for " mutually inexclusive polls are stupid", but it isn't there :o/

To me, a third person animation wouldn't be a big win, but on the other hand having it wouldn't be an annoyance to me either (provided it is not too long so that it doesn't interfere with the respawn time).

So if you (and others) like it, then yes, why not?
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

I think it would be better if it gave you a 3rd person replay of the last few seconds BEFORE you died, so you could see what happened.

(04-07-2010, 04:45 AM)Contrarian Wrote: I think it would be better if it gave you a 3rd person replay of the last few seconds BEFORE you died, so you could see what happened.

Only for Clan Arena or similar; in DM, TDM or CTF game tempo decreases of there is some kind of replay.

no i don't mean a replay but just if you have been killed, It won't slow things down

this is called deathcam, and is a good thing.

He's talking like what happens in the Unreal, Unreal Tournament, and Unreal Championship games. Basically the camera switches to third person after you take a fatal shot to get a view of some frames of your character's death animation or gibbing. No slow-mo or replay BS and it wouldn't interfere with respawn time at all.

Fixed poll

Wouldn't mind it, but not hugely fussed either way. It would be neat to watch my gibs fly across the map sometimes though.

Personally I liked the camera fixed to eyes (normal fps style) when I got head shotted like in UT99 - the head was bouncing around for a couple of seconds ;-).
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

(04-07-2010, 04:45 AM)Contrarian Wrote: I think it would be better if it gave you a 3rd person replay of the last few seconds BEFORE you died, so you could see what happened.
Check the demo Tongue

I think the game is too fast to watch some replays.

It would be cool if you switched to a side view of your body (90 degrees from 1st person viewpoint) and watched the aftermath and then respawn if auto respawn is on. If not, maniacal clicking should still work.

(04-07-2010, 08:14 AM)Mirio Wrote:
Check the demo Tongue

HE'S NOT TALKING ABOUT REPLAYS. He's saying it would be cool if the camera switches to third person after you take a fatal shot. No slow-mo or replay BS and it's gone as soon as you hit spacebar or auto-respawn.

I was the one who brought the replay thing... I know it's not what was originally proposed. I just think a replay would be better, I don't think it would slow things down too much, it's just a few seconds and only when you die. As for the regular 3rd person deathcam... Sure, why not? I don't think it makes a big difference either way. But apparently some people think anything which keeps them from respawning instantly is unacceptable, and that would be as much of a problem for watching a death animation as it would be for watching what led up to it.

(04-08-2010, 03:19 AM)Contrarian Wrote: I was the one who brought the replay thing... I know it's not what was originally proposed. I just think a replay would be better, I don't think it would slow things down too much, it's just a few seconds and only when you die. As for the regular 3rd person deathcam... Sure, why not? I don't think it makes a big difference either way. But apparently some people think anything which keeps them from respawning instantly is unacceptable, and that would be as much of a problem for watching a death animation as it would be for watching what led up to it.

You can easily be killed a few times inside a few seconds in Nexuiz. Especially in minstagib.

Re: replays

short version:
Replays are much harder than a deathcam.

long: version:
To make a replay, you need engineside changes. Probably save what you send to the client in a buffer, to be able to re-send that buffer. A cooldown could be needed here, if you use one buffer you are either playing it, or saving on it (well.. you can use a circular buffer, but since the packets are of different size.. ). Also, by gameplay purposes a cooldown will be good here. The cooldown will fix the problem with watching 2 replays one after another, what could get silly (more time watching than playing).
I could be that replays that way are not compatible with the current protocol (what if part of the protocol is send the server timer, then a replay will contain 'wrong' 'in-the-past' timestamps). Implementing replays could be really hairy.

Hey, I never said it'd be easy. Smile
I just figured, compared to watching gibs fly, most players would prefer to see something useful. In such a fast paced game, getting fragged often has a 'whoa, wtf just happened?' quality.

(04-08-2010, 06:41 AM)Contrarian Wrote: Hey, I never said it'd be easy. Smile
I just figured, compared to watching gibs fly, most players would prefer to see something useful. In such a fast paced game, getting fragged often has a 'whoa, wtf just happened?' quality.

There are more ways to achieve that, complementary ways.
- a better obituary, probably with icons.
- medals "you killed 4 guys in a row with the axe"
- achievements "you killed 10 guys in a row with the axe"
- commentators voice "EXXXXXCEELLENET, player YourNameHere is on a killing spree!"
- by completing a medal, getting a 4 seconds buff: health regen, ammo regen, damage bonus, something minor but nice to have.

None of those would tell you just WHERE that rocket came from that fragged you.
Or HOW exactly that guy managed to kill you in one blast with the crylink.
If there's ANY game where a death replay makes sense, it's this one. That's all I'm saying. I understand if it's a major undertaking to implement it.

(04-07-2010, 04:09 PM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote:
(04-07-2010, 08:14 AM)Mirio Wrote:
Check the demo Tongue

HE'S NOT TALKING ABOUT REPLAYS. He's saying it would be cool if the camera switches to third person after you take a fatal shot. No slow-mo or replay BS and it's gone as soon as you hit spacebar or auto-respawn.

YES EXACTLY! and where is the cheese? Tongue

(04-08-2010, 07:47 AM)Contrarian Wrote: None of those would tell you just WHERE that rocket came from that fragged you.
If there's ANY game where a death replay makes sense, it's this one. That's all I'm saying. I understand if it's a major undertaking to implement it.

Uh.. hummmmmmm......

(04-08-2010, 09:52 AM)Tei Wrote:
(04-08-2010, 07:47 AM)Contrarian Wrote: None of those would tell you just WHERE that rocket came from that fragged you.

Uh.. hummmmmmm......

HE'S NOT TALKING ABOUT REPLAYS HE'S NOT TALKING ABOUT REPLAYS HE'S NOT TALKING ABOUT REPLAYS HE'S NOT TALKING ABOUT REPLAYS HE'S NOT TALKING ABOUT REPLAYS HE'S NOT TALKING ABOUT REPLAYS,

I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT REPLAYS, I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT REPLAYS, I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT REPLAYS, I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT REPLAYS, I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT REPLAYS, I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT REPLAYS,

(04-08-2010, 03:11 PM)kay Wrote:
(04-08-2010, 09:52 AM)Tei Wrote:

Uh.. hummmmmmm......

HE'S NOT TALKING ABOUT REPLAYS HE'S NOT TALKING ABOUT REPLAYS HE'S NOT TALKING ABOUT REPLAYS HE'S NOT TALKING ABOUT REPLAYS HE'S NOT TALKING ABOUT REPLAYS HE'S NOT TALKING ABOUT REPLAYS,

I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT REPLAYS, I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT REPLAYS, I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT REPLAYS, I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT REPLAYS, I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT REPLAYS, I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT REPLAYS,

THIS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6bYa-to2...re=related
Skip to 1:15

Relax :-)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Diary:

I have found the most crazy individual EVER.
Hes not talking about replays.

Love.
-Me.

Is there anyone here who actually didn't understand what we were talking about? I'm pretty sure everyone who even mentioned replays was responding directly to me. I just thought it was a variation on the idea which deserved consideration... I didn't realize it would become such a huge issue.

Merely switching to 3rd person when you die would be easy to do and would have no downside, but nobody would ever see it unless there was a respawn delay. I think better things could be done during such a delay, but it doesn't matter because apparently respawn delays don't go over too well here.

Does that about cover it?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spawn Killing Bloodthorn 23 12,343 10-10-2018, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Bloodthorn
  [SUGGESTION] Choice of spawn in duel TrackPt 13 12,339 06-15-2016, 02:12 PM
Last Post: LotBlind
  [SUGGESTION] Limited weapon slots & customizable spawn weapons MirceaKitsune 38 34,484 09-14-2014, 04:19 AM
Last Post: end user
  [SUGGESTION] ragdoll death animation request Droid 28 33,208 02-22-2014, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Nahuel
  [SUGGESTION] 3rd person view blocking crosshair when looking down basaltdragon 1 4,100 07-11-2013, 05:40 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] A small addition to the spawn system Dodge 25 23,818 07-05-2013, 06:48 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
Lightbulb [SUGGESTION] Frags per death nowego4 18 18,814 09-10-2010, 04:51 AM
Last Post: Contrarian
Question [SUGGESTION] TDM uses team spawn entities VNilla 5 6,726 05-07-2010, 02:52 PM
Last Post: VNilla
  [SUGGESTION] Feign Death .Kt 7 7,403 04-09-2010, 04:39 AM
Last Post: Contrarian
Photo [SUGGESTION] Effects of Death rainerzufalldererste 14 15,938 03-24-2010, 06:09 AM
Last Post: kuniu the frogg