Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CTF] Spatium

Work in progress project I was working on lately. Layout seems finished, although it might will change slightly in the future. This map is a response for the small/medium ctf maps needs. I would like to thank packer for hosting test server just for this map. The map should play very well 4v4 and more. As always: Post some feedback so the map can be improved and mabye find its place among offical ones in the future.

Map name: Spatium
Mode: CTF
Size: small/medium
Version: first

[Image: spatnew1.jpg] [Image: spatnew3.jpg]
Download:SPATIUM-A4.PK3

To play the map simply put the .pk3 file into your data folder, llaunch the game and type "map spatium-a2" in console. Enjoy! Wink

Map is now avaliable on Overkill and DCC servers! Thanks to Rokkenn and Ablu!

Wow it's amazingly beautiful. You are the master of lighting.

there are some issues with geometry ending in the middle of nowhere. http://imgur.com/a/GarXQ

haven't had a chance to play this against people yet but holy fuck it's pretty

Yes, machine I will add more trick jumps, thats quite important.
Silence: This issue was my main problem so far, and I can't rly help it.
I didn't rly do anything about lighting. This is the alpha lighting.
Where should I put the nexgun then? In the middle? Instead of mega?
Im happy you like visuals. What about the size of the map and corridors? Any idea about them?

Is it mirrored?
http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=3758

(12-26-2012, 06:24 PM)Justin Wrote: Silence: This issue was my main problem so far, and I can't rly help it.

just remove the windows on that side lol.

Please don't add a nexgun, that will only slow down gameplay, amd leave less hp for rocketjumping Wink

Very nice and original looking map, textures and lighting is perfect. All new maps are confusing so minimap would be nice in newer version.

Thank you, guys for your positive opinions and feedback. The new version is ready, thanks to you.
As you can see, Majki, map is sort of mirrored:

[Image: spatium-a2_mini.jpg]

I added 2 trickjumps,
More details,
Fixed bugs that Silencer mentioned,
Added minimap,
Removed some shards,
Added two launchpads so players can fly over the midhall (its longer way but more safe I think)

DOWNLOAD LINK:
Look at the first post.

PS. Do you think that launchpads is a good idea? Or should I make a platform?

Map looks really impressive from the screenshots! Something really different visual wise, well done. A lot of quality maps coming now.
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

Quote:A lot of quality maps coming now.

I agree! If only the modellers were making as much stuff as the mappers! Smile

Hmm, After a couple of matches on the server you guys played on this map... it seems like nice fun! Also very fast capture time is about 8.5 sec.

I realized that the map has 4 crylinks! In next version I'm going to remove two of them and replace with the mashinguns.
Also the launchpads in the middle seem useless and pesky. I decided to remove them and place nice bridge right above the middle (mega armor will be on this bridge now).
Small bug was also found during the tests, Its allready gone in next version.
Shards and ammo issues (some shards and ammunition were unbalanced) also will be solved.

Machine, Im afraid that I will stay with two nexguns for now.

Ah, one more thing: As you might probably know the map was supposed to be a city under water. Instead it is located in the space (that explains name change Aquamortis into Spatium). The reason is simple: Extremly bad performance, caused be lots of water shaders. The fps was so low that I decided to change the concept without big changes to layout. Wink

PS. feedback about items would be a great help.

Couple of screenshots:

[Image: spatnew1.jpg] [Image: spatnew2.jpg]

[Image: spatnew3.jpg] [Image: spatnew4.jpg]

Version a3 is now done! Look at the first post.

Love the way this looks, can't wait to play in it Smile
[Image: 4766.png]
[My personal website: AquaNova ] - <> - [Ingame: <PsyX> :::: <-Archer-< :::: ]

It took me a second to realize those lighted windows weren't warpzones XD

Other than that, maybe some trims on the top of edges (such as along the metal treadplate by the rockets in lower right picture). Also, did you consider using the yellow versions of the phillipk1x textures on the red side (yellow and red are warm colors, green and blue cold)?

Not too shabby though! Nice work!

Archer! Could you please share with me the link to your tune for the map? I think I lost the link and for final version it would be good to have some solid music.

(01-03-2013, 03:27 PM)Justin Wrote: Archer! Could you please share with me the link to your tune for the map? I think I lost the link and for final version it would be good to have some solid music.

Sure thing mate, I'll review the song once more and make any improvements if necessary, and will then hand it over to you Tongue

Justin

This is texturing on your map in a nutshell:
[Image: fractal1.jpg]

It seems like you loaded up ALL of the default Xonotic metal plate textures and just throw them at layout in hope that specular mapping and stuff will make it pretty Smile

Why no concrete anywhere? Or glass? Or some terrain perhaps? Some skybox? Some nice glass dome showing sky/space?

You can do 1000x times better imo, according to your previous works.

If you have some problems with theme design, jump here:
http://www.conceptroot.com/

Find some nice creation you like and mimic it a little/inspire.

And one more thing - lights are kinda cool. They have sources (more than usual :p ), both bases have different light color. I like it Smile

I don't see the connection between that fractal and this map, and btw. this map is still one of the nicest even though it uses same metal textures.

(01-04-2013, 08:59 AM)Majki Wrote: It seems like you loaded up ALL of the default Xonotic metal plate textures and just throw them at layout in hope that specular mapping and stuff will make it pretty

I think it's pretty.

It's flashy indeed, but it lacks any kind of consistent theme. Every room feels foreign from the last. I think there is a lot of room for improvement here. I have to agree with Majki, fewer differing textures would be nice.

One suggestion though, could you replace those jumppads in the middle section with ramps somehow? Would be a more comfortable way to get onto the bridge Tongue

And graphic wise I think the map is great, except for a tiny detail:

[Image: spatnew3.jpg]

The floor section on the lower left.. The corner, I don't know how to explain it but it just looks odd to me, kinda out of place.

jumppads are kind of ugly imo.

Mapfuhrer Justin at work again, the layout is very smooth although I'm not really a fan of the warpzones.

Look at Joseph Across Concepts
[Image: image_1338917677.jpg]
[Image: image_1338915897.jpg]

Maybe they give you some ideas how not to use metal plates everywhere Smile

(01-05-2013, 08:52 AM)Majki Wrote: Look at Joseph Across Concepts
http://www.conceptroot.com/ult/upload_pi...917677.jpg
http://www.conceptroot.com/ult/upload_pi...915897.jpg

Maybe they give you some ideas how not to use metal plates everywhere Smile

Wow, those are awesome! The contrast between the blue and the grey in the first pic is lovely!

Yeah, I agree that there should be more glass and other materials, just to give it more variety.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [DM/CTF] Sirlent (Soylent remake) (added CTF version) _para 7 1,657 01-01-2023, 01:03 PM
Last Post: _para
  [Vanilla, XPM CTF] antares-ctf1_b2 (Silica CTF) Antares* 0 2,149 11-30-2017, 08:12 AM
Last Post: Antares*
  Fickle-ctf [CTF] [ONS] nowego4 31 32,497 11-29-2013, 07:03 AM
Last Post: Mario