Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trouble on Beginner's Server

(01-27-2013, 05:25 AM)asyyy Wrote: How to solve this? Make public play more casual, e.g. "steal" from the overkill mod to make vanilla more accessible and let the competitive players design their own mode that is not some half-as*ed compromise but hardcore fps as its best.

http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=3861

Yes I know, I've also elaborated my view on that topic in numerous posts but it's a waste of time tbh. At least I don't know how to make something like that happen without people leaving their ego behind...

I just thought the whole bashing "Good" players thing was very uh, biased to say the least. Don't think something like this needs to be taken too seriously, it's not like there's no server records of frag lists in the beginner server so when you see someone with 2x the frags and a high(er) elo I guess the server admins can kick the player or whatever they want. Their server after all.

The labeling argument is stupid both ways, so arguing that noobs shouldn't be called noobs and then generalizing experienced or better players "pros" is a tad hypocritical. It's not like they call themselves pros. Truth be told this game has no professional players anyway as there aren't any ways to earn money playing it, nor is there a big enough scene to warrant a ton of competition that would bring the current level of duel/ctf/tdm to the higher echelons of "skill" that you'll see in other games.

Of course I myself was a little pissed off when people got upset at me for playing in the beginner server when (at the time) it was the only one populated. There are cases like that where I think people need to just suck it up, it's an arena fps for fucks sake, you're going to experience a few smackdowns and if you can't deal with a few you won't make it far anyway, head back to the minstagib servers.

The fact that the whole discussion dissolved into a rant from edh about his player attraction manifesto was funny.

Bottom line: Don't like being shit on? Get better.
[Image: 2879.png]

Well, looks like someone is having a bit of teenage angst.

(01-27-2013, 05:35 PM)Bolwind Wrote: I just thought the whole bashing "Good" players thing was very uh, biased to say the least.

Go on, point out where you think I was bashing good players. I never did such a thing so do not make such accusations.

(01-27-2013, 05:35 PM)Bolwind Wrote: The labeling argument is stupid both ways, so arguing that noobs shouldn't be called noobs and then generalizing experienced or better players "pros" is a tad hypocritical.

I never did that. I would never chose to categorize players as 'pros' as it is not really a profession anyway. So again do not throw accusations around. Some people are better at a game than others but it is only a game, stop being so uppity about it.

(01-27-2013, 05:35 PM)Bolwind Wrote: Of course I myself was a little pissed off when people got upset at me for playing in the beginner server when (at the time) it was the only one populated. There are cases like that where I think people need to just suck it up, it's an arena fps for fucks sake, you're going to experience a few smackdowns and if you can't deal with a few you won't make it far anyway, head back to the minstagib servers.

Playing on the beginners server when you know they're no competition isn't much of a game. If it was not labelled as a beginner server then that might be fair but the fact it is labelled as a beginners server is very unsportsmanly. That's like entering a sports event for kids and complaining when people complain that you are not elligible to enter.

(01-27-2013, 05:35 PM)Bolwind Wrote: The fact that the whole discussion dissolved into a rant from edh about his player attraction manifesto was funny.

Bottom line: Don't like being shit on? Get better.

So basically what you're saying it you're saying is you're egotistical and that Xonotic should entirely cater for your needs and that it is somehow your right to go on a beginners server when you quite clearly aren't a beginner.

Have you ever thought that what you have done is potentially turn that group of people you were playing against AWAY from Xonotic and they will never be interested in getting better at it? If you had a more long term vision you would perhaps have seen that given time, they would have got better and then there would have been in time many more better players for you to play against?

I'm sure people can now see that you are not interested in the overall good of the game long term but only in your own short term game play.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

Let's tone it down a little please, we don't want this to turn into a flamewar.

I'm not having angst in any way, I'm not sure what would make you say that.

Nor am I being "uppity" about player skill, or anything of the like.

Also, the sports event comparison doesn't really work. I'm not complaining that I wasn't eligible to enter the competition (Why is it a competition in the first place?) If anything it's like getting on the blacktop with a bunch of kids playing basketball and playing a game or two with them, offering advice and explanations if they don't understand the rules. Unless you think every "pro" who joins the server is fucking Shaq and starts chaos dunking kids for an endless number of hours.

A game with so few is bound to have a mismatched skill level in the playerbase, not much you can do about that.

I'm not egotistical? Again, not sure where thats coming from considering I've never even seen you in game Big Grin

Xonotic doesn't need to cater to my needs, I just don't want to get bitched out for playing on a beginner dm server if other ones aren't populated, and don't think people who are "decent" should be getting the same treatment. If people are actively going into the server to kill new players and attain padded stats then ya go ahead and ban them.

Not that any of this matters, since it's up to the discretion of the moderator. (Rights in a video game? What?)

As for your silly little paragraph about me turning people away;
I've personally invited and played with a good 40 people who I tutored on the game and played pickups with in the past, as well as offered sufficient mentoring to new players wishing to understand the game mechanics better. Not to mention our NA clan attempted to bolster the community there before it eventually died. I previously would compete in all of the community cups too, including getting others to tag along with me (Even if we're playing with euros). Competition breeds a community.

I'd love to hear what you've personally done to help noobs out, though.

You're free to offer up your own analysis of me based on my few and (admittedly) intentionally provocative forum posts (because we need more professional gamers keeping noobs in place) considering I really don't play anymore save for duel cups.

Also I can guarantee you that my attitude has nothing to do with the game not retaining new players, and all has to do with the game itself.

This whole argument is off topic though, I dunno why this thread isn't locked, didn't really deserve a thread in the first place.

Quote:Bottom line: Don't like being shit on? Get better.
If that is how you really feel towards this behaviour, I think the best thing to do is just keep it to yourself.
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

(01-28-2013, 08:16 AM)PinkRobot Wrote: If that is how you really feel towards this behaviour, I think the best thing to do is just keep it to yourself.

To people who complain that someone good is actively joining the server for the purpose of beating on new players? No, ban the player, duh.

For people who complain that occasionally a decent player joins the server and facerolls for a match? Yes.

Yeah OK. I think I'm done now.
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

(01-25-2013, 05:44 PM)edh Wrote:
rad dj flimflam Wrote:I have to echo the comment that most newbs will quit never to return after about 2 kills regardless of overall score or behaviour. This is the majority of people who simply decide they don't like Xonotic for some crazy reason, who would've quit shortly regardless of their opponent
You can't really say that. See it from the other persons perspective and they will say that you have crazy reasons to like it, it's a matter of opinion. They don't have to play Xonotic or like it but everyone should be welcome to do so.

I knew a guy once who didn't like watermelon OR pizza. These romans are crazy!

On a more serious note: countless new names have appeared on the aussie server only to dissapear forever for no apparent reason. Their choice indisputably, but my original point is that their decision to leave is seemingly independant of the behaviour or skill of their opponents. These guys who join and promptly leave were never going to stay regardless of whether a pro pwned them, a bot fluked a kill or they fell in the slime...

(01-28-2013, 08:38 AM)PinkRobot Wrote: Yeah OK. I think I'm done now.

Congratulations, you had more endurance than me, I already gave up on page one. Big Grin
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Add handicap option like in OpenArena, so seasoned players can make themselves weaker and still play on beginner server while not ruining fun of beginners. Xonotic still has a very small playerbase anyway, so sometimes there is nowhere to go but to beginner server. Then make this a MOTD of the beginner server: "This server is for beginners only. If you're a seasoned player, you should to use handicap not to ruin the fun of the beginners. Thanks!". Or maybe even add proprietary DRM layer on top of Xonotic client so that handicap can be enforced.

Quote:proprietary DRM layer on top of Xonotic client

WTF?! it's EVIL!!!!
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

I don't think he was being serious. Unless the 'global oneist government' has got to him too.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic