Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Mouse sensitivity revolution!

Lets have mouse sensitivity in degrees per centimeter instead of having it unitless. That would allow such good things as:

- The user will actually know what units mouse sensitivity is really in.
- The default mouse sensitivity setting will work equally for everyone.
- If you buy a more precise mouse than you previously had, you won't have to readjust the mouse sensitivity.

Let Xonotic be the first first-person shooter that handles mouse sensitivity right!

That's a cool idea and all, but how would you figure out the sensitivity of the mouse? The user would have to input their mouse DPI, how many people know their actual DPI? Is the one reported on the box or driver software exact?

EDIT: Also, who on earth measures sensitivity in degrees per centimeter. Can you tell me off the bat what your ideal sensitivity in degrees per centimeter would be? The only unit I've come across is centimeter/inch per turn, and I don't think it's widely used at all.

Even if you knew your mouse's DPI, length per angle would still be a function of mouse speed due to acceleration, which is nonzero by default in at least in Win7 and 8. (dont know about all the other OSes) Sad

(01-29-2013, 03:31 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: That's a cool idea and all, but how would you figure out the sensitivity of the mouse? The user would have to input their mouse DPI, how many people know their actual DPI? Is the one reported on the box or driver software exact?

You mean mice don't report their DPI to operating system?

(01-29-2013, 07:06 AM)lamefun Wrote: You mean mice don't report their DPI to operating system?

I doubt it. Can't seem to find any information about that.

zypresse: ideally, accel is turned off for gaming.

yes, but if isn't turned off you would not only have useless maesure of mouse speed but a downright misleading one on top. I don't think one can expect everyone to have it turned off, since this is not a simple change in the system settings.

(01-29-2013, 07:06 AM)lamefun Wrote: You mean mice don't report their DPI to operating system?

They do - at least on windows

(01-29-2013, 12:14 PM)Faraday Wrote:

They do - at least on windows

Can you provide more information please?

Raw mouse input would be more like a revolution for Xonotic. Also Quake Live has such an option, see the m_cpi cvar.

(01-29-2013, 04:08 PM)asyyy Wrote: Raw mouse input would be more like a revolution for Xonotic. Also Quake Live has such an option, see the m_cpi cvar.

There is nothing revolutionary in this, it is merely a conversion from one scale to another. No one is going to suddenly have improved aim from it, that would be like changing the units of measure of your cars speedometer to make your car go faster...
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

That's what I meant to say with my post edh. Still, for some people it's a nice feature and if anyone is interested in coding this, why not. Though cl_mouseaccel would please more people I guess, as it would allow players coming from quake/warsow/openarena to keep their mouse settings in Xonotic.

Isn't m_cpi exactly what this thread is all about? See my post above.

Yes it is. Minus the automatic detection of dpi, which I doubt would work across mouses and operation systems anyway.

raw mouse input makes for a happy spinda

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Big Grin [SUGGESTION] Mickey Mouse player model rudzik8 0 383 01-03-2024, 04:21 AM
Last Post: rudzik8
  [DISCUSSION] sub 1.0 sensitivity Snowball 6 5,156 03-07-2019, 08:49 AM
Last Post: Snowball
Tongue [SUGGESTION] mouse cvars N3phr!s 1 2,969 02-17-2012, 09:57 AM
Last Post: edh