Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SMB Modpack

I'm sure many of you have been wondering what the so-called "modpack" some of us have been mentioning recently.

The name "mod" for it is a bit misleading though...
In general, it is basically the Xonotic Git repo's gamecode with all the experimental branches and features merged into a single source, initially for testing purposes.
With all the branches in a single source, we are able to make them work together and fix any issues that come up much quicker than if they were on an old Xonotic Git branch.
But, it is also contains many fixes and features unique to it (mainly due to the features being rejected or even deleted from the main Xonotic repository).

While custom modifications of the sort are generally frowned upon as they change the default gameplay, I (and some other great helpers) design these custom features to improve upon the game without drastically changing it, and to offer testing of features currently in development that would be otherwise considered too unstable for mainstream (but are fixed and improved to be stable enough - there hasn't been a crash caused by my code in many months).

Now, the question you may be asking is, "So, what have you changed?".

To answer this, I have created a full changelog of every major change in the mod:
https://github.com/MarioSMB/modpack/wiki/Changelog

If you're a server owner interested in running any of these features, you can find installation information here.
The mod is currently running on all the SMB, EAC, clan.exe and MoFo servers, plus a few others.
[Image: 230.png]

Am I intepreting this correctly that you plan to merge all or many of these changes?

Some really nice new features in that list! 1 flag CTF and zombie mode looks like fun, also I guess we will see even crazier rainbows and stuff with new scripting engine? Wink Team electro and load-up color based nex is something I've seen on servers and wanted in-game for a while, cool to see them coming.

Two things that worries me though: will hats be opt-in, opt-out or simply server-dependant? Personally would prefer opt-in, or that if you force your models and colors it automatically disables or something. Also what is "cl_rumraisin"? Also, walljump seems like an excuse for beginners not to learn laser jumping if servers just add it, if it's too easy to perform, which worries me.

(11-13-2014, 01:29 AM)machine! Wrote: Am I intepreting this correctly that you plan to merge all or many of these changes?

Some really nice new features in that list! 1 flag CTF and zombie mode looks like fun, also I guess we will see even crazier rainbows and stuff with new scripting engine? Wink Team electro and load-up color based nex is something I've seen on servers and wanted in-game for a while, cool to see them coming.

Two things that worries me though: will hats be opt-in, opt-out or simply server-dependant? Personally would prefer opt-in, or that if you force your models and colors it automatically disables or something. Also what is "cl_rumraisin"? Also, walljump seems like an excuse for beginners not to learn laser jumping if servers just add it, if it's too easy to perform, which worries me.

Ill take fast wall jump on small maps like on the Shotgun server over laser anytime. Makes for some quick wtf manoeuvres while you kill the other guy,
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

Edit: Hats can now be hidden from the client with cl_nohats cvar.
cl_rumraisin was an old easteregg to give players the "rumraisin" experience (rumraisin was a really good twitch aimer whom everyone hated on the SMB servers).

As stated in the OT, a lot of these features were rejected (and in extreme cases, actually deleted from the repos when I tried to push them), so most probably won't make it into the main game anytime soon.
The worthy stuff I have been slowly pushing 1 by 1 into the main repos, but development there is awfully slow (this may change soon though).
[Image: 230.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NEED HELP] [Commission] To update Jeff's Modpack - QuakeC programmer wanted breakfast 4 4,804 07-08-2020, 12:45 PM
Last Post: breakfast
  modpack.sh - automatic pk3 creation for mods tZork 0 4,064 10-20-2011, 08:43 PM
Last Post: tZork