Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Overkill merged!

Overkill has been merged into the master branch of the main repository, which means it will be available (albeit hidden) in 0.8!

A guide for server owners interested in running overkill can be found here: http://smbclan.net/wiki/Note_to_Overkill_server_owners
[Image: 230.png]

That's great!

Does it come with the models, too? IIRC there was a licensing issue with regard to the weapon and player models overkill uses?
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

It does indeed come with the models, which have been a part of the game since 0.7. Considering this, I assume the license issue was resolved, if there was one.

Cool!
AFAIK there never was a license issue, just some confusion / uncertainty regarding the license.

]http://smbclan.net/wiki/Note_to_Overkill_server_owners Wrote:exec balance-overkill.cfg

I hope that does not mean you removed the "temp-cfg" loading.. that was put in for a good reason Wink

That file was harder to maintain than a proper balance config for overkill, and most server owners thought it needed to be executed from server.cfg, which made the temporary setting useless anyway.
Overkill will not enable without its balance being loaded, which makes it more of a thing for servers that don't mind getting into the dirty stuff when hosting a "modded" server of this kind. It is also hidden from the menu.

This seemed like the best way for me to get this into a merge-able state, and since it's hidden, we can always tweak and improve it after 0.8.

(12-19-2014, 08:02 PM)tZork Wrote: AFAIK there never was a license issue, just some confusion / uncertainty regarding the license.

I recall, but I can't find logs of it, that we discussed at one point the lack of GPL-licensing for the models. Unless Morphed has explicitly stated that he releases them under the GPL (either in a merge request or in a licensing file in the pk3), there still is a licensing issue.

Its been stated b4, but i cleared this *again* (4'th time i think) with Morphed. These are GPL assets. Sources are lost so just deal with it (or don't, but they do not exist).

I made all these models from scratch and they were released under GPL license, I'm happy to merge them into Xonotic and then they can follow game license, if it's going to change in the future

(12-25-2014, 07:56 PM)tZork Wrote: Its been stated b4, but i cleared this *again* (4'th time i think) with Morphed. These are GPL assets. Sources are lost so just deal with it (or don't, but they do not exist).
(12-25-2014, 08:40 PM)Morphed Wrote: I made all these models from scratch and they were released under GPL license, I'm happy to merge them into Xonotic and then they can follow game license, if it's going to change in the future

Ah, okay. I'm sorry for the frustration that my inquiry apparently caused. If the sources are lost and assuming that the compiled models are unworkable as-is, which I'm not sure is the case, I think it's a mistake to release them under the GPL as Morphed simply cannot comply with his own licensing terms. You're essentially making a legally binding promise that you will provide something that you can't have.

Anyway, thanks for clearing this up. I tried to find a public statement about it or even private logs, and couldn't find anything, so asking a 4th time was useful Smile

I do have sources, just they are hard to find and probably in a mess, so they are there just don't ask for them please Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [MoFo] Foul Play [Overkill Mod] North America end user 4 4,697 11-09-2015, 03:12 PM
Last Post: end user
  Jetpack + Overkill server [ Fly Mofo ] end user 0 2,826 10-09-2013, 04:51 PM
Question Finding a solution for the [MoN] Overkill [MOD] server FoGia 7 7,275 05-26-2013, 04:21 PM
  Overkill server set up/compile? end user 9 10,186 02-28-2013, 05:01 AM