Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] What must be in the pk3 order to run the map?

Hi,
I've made a map in netradiant and exported as a .bsp file. Then i put the .map file and the .bsp file in a zip-archive and unnamed to .pk3, but nothing happens. And i never made a map before. Which Files i have to put in the .pk3-archive to?
Sry for my bad englishSad
Thanks for an helpBlush

I don't remember and someone will probably answer this shortly, but you can download a random map, unzip it and then simply look how they placed all files. Note that its the root directory that needs to be zipped, sometimes if you zip the map folder itself it creates an redundant folder.

(08-04-2015, 09:12 AM)machine! Wrote: I don't remember and someone will probably answer this shortly, but you can download a random map, unzip it and then simply look how they placed all files. Note that its the root directory that needs to be zipped, sometimes if you zip the map folder itself it creates an redundant folder.
Thx for the answer Smile

Create a folder called "maps", put the bsp and map file into it and zip that folder. That was missing.
Looking at other pk3s is good. You should also include a mapinfo (txt file) file (see in other pk3s) and a picture of your map. Just needs a screenshot with the same name like bsp (mymap. jpg). You can remove the HUD etc. with r_letterbox 1 to get a good picture. Smile

(08-04-2015, 11:28 AM)Mirio Wrote: Create a folder called "maps", put the bsp and map file into it and zip that folder. That was missing.
Looking at other pk3s is good. You should also include a mapinfo (txt file) file (see in other pk3s) and a picture of your map. Just needs a screenshot with the same name like bsp (mymap. jpg). You can remove the HUD etc. with r_letterbox 1 to get a good picture. Smile
Thanks Smile

And post your map here in the forums Big Grin

For clarity, here's the summary (for other newbies like me):

Assuming you are making a map called "test". A useable test.pk3 package should have at least the following files:

Code:
maps/test.bsp
maps/test.jpg
maps/test.mapinfo

It is highly recommend to also include these files:

Code:
maps/test.map
maps/test.readme.txt

Explanation:
  • The location and name of the files are specific.
  • maps/test.bsp is the compiled map
  • maps/test.jpg (or maps/test.png) is a screenshot of your map, that shows in the map selection screen in the game
  • maps/test.mapinfo contains map description and game setting
  • maps/test.map is the source of your map, that can be opened with NetRadiant
  • maps/test.readem.txt (the name and location is not standardized, but this is not a bad practice) has additional information (license, contact info, URL for future updates, references, acknowledgement, etc.)

The other things you may want to plan ahead is the versioning and naming of your files. That's a whole other discussion, but basically, you want to include your version info somewhere -- some just rename their package as "test_1c.pk3", and still has maps/test.* as the content. Some change names of both the pk3 and the contents.

It's highly recommend that you have a single release location for your map (and include that URL in your readme file). Using the forum to be that page, as Mirio suggested, is a good practice.

(08-04-2015, 04:32 PM)BuddyFriendGuy Wrote: For clarity, here's the summary (for other newbies like me):

Assuming you are making a map called "test". A useable test.pk3 package should have at least the following files:

Code:
maps/test.bsp
maps/test.jpg
maps/test.mapinfo

It is highly recommend to also include these files:

Code:
maps/test.map
maps/test.readme.txt

Explanation:
  • The location and name of the files are specific.
  • maps/test.bsp is the compiled map
  • maps/test.jpg (or maps/test.png) is a screenshot of your map, that shows in the map selection screen in the game
  • maps/test.mapinfo contains map description and game setting
  • maps/test.map is the source of your map, that can be opened with NetRadiant
  • maps/test.readem.txt (the name and location is not standardized, but this is not a bad practice) has additional information (license, contact info, URL for future updates, references, acknowledgement, etc.)

The other things you may want to plan ahead is the versioning and naming of your files. That's a whole other discussion, but basically, you want to include your version info somewhere -- some just rename their package as "test_1c.pk3", and still has maps/test.* as the content. Some change names of both the pk3 and the contents.

It's highly recommend that you have a single release location for your map (and include that URL in your readme file). Using the forum to be that page, as Mirio suggested, is a good practice.
Thanks.
Now my lolfisch.mapinfo file looks like this
Code:
title Lolfisch    

author Brot

gametype dm
gametype tdm
but nothing happens then i've written gametype cts. And now i can play the map in cts but not in dm or tdmHuh

add the line "has weapons" Smile

Also you can add tdm, kh, ka, ft and ca as they don't need some point of extra support

EDIT: Didn't realize Mirio already answered. What he said.

(08-05-2015, 09:41 AM)Brot Wrote: but nothing happens then i've written gametype cts. And now i can play the map in cts but not in dm or tdmHuh

Try this

Code:
title Lolfisch    
description Medium-sized, fast enclosed map supporting multiple gamemodes.
author Brot

has weapons

gametype ctf
gametype dm
gametype tdm

I'm assuming you have the right entities for DM and CTF (info_player_*, item_flag_*, etc.) in your map.

Please always add description.

You may want to remove "[SOLVED]" in the title when you still have questions.

(08-05-2015, 11:17 AM)BuddyFriendGuy Wrote:
(08-05-2015, 09:41 AM)Brot Wrote: but nothing happens then i've written gametype cts. And now i can play the map in cts but not in dm or tdmHuh

Try this

Code:
title Lolfisch    
description Medium-sized, fast enclosed map supporting multiple gamemodes.
author Brot

has weapons

gametype ctf
gametype dm
gametype tdm

I'm assuming you have the right entities for DM and CTF (info_player_*, item_flag_*, etc.) in your map.

Please always add description.

You may want to remove "[SOLVED]" in the title when you still have questions.

Thank you so much Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NEED HELP] Change mapinfo to make a CTF map a CTS map. Bhagwa-Yodhak-69 3 2,309 09-08-2020, 06:03 AM
Last Post: _para
  [SOLVED] Cannot run game anymore after new git update Bloodthorn 2 2,781 07-25-2018, 07:20 AM
Last Post: Bloodthorn
  [SOLVED] run a local CTS BuddyFriendGuy 7 6,170 12-25-2017, 12:06 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [SOLVED] Im to stupid to run NetRadiant under Linux HirnloserHering 3 4,337 08-13-2015, 11:51 AM
Last Post: SpiKe
  [SOLVED] Run via darkplaces? Zerock 12 14,573 03-25-2015, 05:23 PM
Last Post: -z-
  [NEEDS INFO] Can i run this ? The Glutton 1 2,426 03-23-2015, 05:58 AM
Last Post: Maddin
  [NEEDS INFO] Unable to run Xonotic game in PC-BSD 10.0.2 faisal6309 5 6,129 07-30-2014, 11:42 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [NEEDS INFO] cant download map, black map area jaybates86 5 6,885 10-08-2013, 06:09 AM
Last Post: Halogene
  [BUG] Nexball 'Bombing run' oddities rafallus 4 3,275 03-03-2012, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SOLVED] Can't run dedicated server over Wireless? LukeLC 11 13,806 01-28-2011, 01:56 AM
Last Post: SHiNKiROU