Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] /tell command instead of console

I would like to be able to send a /tell without backing out into a console, running a command, finding someone's number, and then typing out a tell command. Just typing "/tell omg hi!" should send the greeting along. Ideally, it would look something like this:

say: /tell
(which changes the prompt to)
tell : omg hi!

I acknowledge that the way player names are handled means that names aren't always unique, so this may be an issue. That being said, I would be interested in working on this as I've been wanting to contribute, but I'm not sure where to begin. I will be pulling down a git branch though.

you can do tell "" without searching for the number

(06-16-2010, 01:51 AM)Agamalama Wrote: you can do tell "" without searching for the number

Roger that. If typing some names is hard due to strange characters, remember tab completion also work, es. to speak to player "[wøøt]" type "tell [w" and hit tab.

The tell command is a bit odd to use, but...

try this:

bind "u" "commandmode tell"
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

"tell" is not always usable, consider a player who uses a symbol as his nick, like a smiling face for example.
How can u type his nick in console?

Then indeed you'd have to find out that player's number via the "status" command and, if it is 1, for example, type "tell #1" in console. IIRC.

Personally I don't mind using the console for the tell command, but something more intuitive would certainly be nice for people that don't like consoles.
[Image: 249.png] Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out my Newbie Corner!
<ZeRoQL> i think i got 1 proper quad and that cunt halogen fuck me over with a laser

(06-16-2010, 03:53 AM)Halogene Wrote: Then indeed you'd have to find out that player's number via the "status" command and, if it is 1, for example, type "tell #1" in console. IIRC.

Personally I don't mind using the console for the tell command, but something more intuitive would certainly be nice for people that don't like consoles.

Thanks, I didn't know about the "status" command.
and yes still it should be easier to do, not everybody like to use the console, at least not for something trivial like this.

IIRC you can also type like "status 1" or "status 2" to get different views with correctly displayed colors and stuff. My memory is a bit vague here, haven't used that lately. And I tend to forget things that happened less than an hour ago.

Maybe it's time to join the old farts clan... wait, what was I on about? Oh. Nevermind.
[Image: 249.png] Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out my Newbie Corner!
<ZeRoQL> i think i got 1 proper quad and that cunt halogen fuck me over with a laser

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [ACCEPTED] Bigger font size in console falco 6 3,502 04-22-2017, 12:42 PM
Last Post: -z-
  [SUGGESTION] Console during map-change -Lo- 27 19,700 06-05-2010, 04:10 PM
Last Post: XV22