Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] universal use button

maybe a key which allows you to press buttons without shoot them or touch them with your body (depends on the closeness to the object)

also pichup weapons and ammo with them

enter/exit vehicles

maybe for little things like a 'codelock'(?)
[Image: 750781_BB_00_FB.EPS.jpg]
(you press e then a menu opens like a chat input window... you can walk away but if you are to far the window closes and you cant input anything)

or an infight attack (kill someone with a breaking his/her** neck if you stand behind)

or whatever you think what would be good to do with it

**it would maybe cool if you can define your sex in the player options for specific ingame bradcasts or announcers or whatever Big Grin

it would only be useful for entering/exiting vehicles...

pushing buttons.... for what? opening doors? thats too slow.

picking up ammo? lol!?

codelocks... this is not a puzzle game

breaking someones neck.... did you ever see a player who actually plays and stands still? if yes, then you can just kill him with a rocket/headshot/shotgun secondary/every automatic weapon.

and when you are out of ammo?good against campers

_para, I don't like all these realism-enhancing/enforcing suggestions that you are coming up with lately and that are utterly incompatible with fast-paced arcade like action. Please think about what this game is: a fast-paced first person shooter. There's no time to stop and enter codes into a door code lock. There's also no time to press a button in order to pick up ammo. This must happen on-the-fly in order to keep up the fast movement.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

(07-07-2010, 06:59 AM)Halogene Wrote: _para, I don't like all these realism-enhancing/enforcing suggestions that you are coming up with lately and that are utterly incompatible with fast-paced arcade like action. Please think about what this game is: a fast-paced first person shooter. There's no time to stop and enter codes into a door code lock. There's also no time to press a button in order to pick up ammo. This must happen on-the-fly in order to keep up the fast movement.
+1
Fat.bot.Slim

was just an idea...

Think first, then post :o) golden rule in any forum.

May be ignored only by old and senile members.
My Xonstats Profile

(07-07-2010, 08:18 AM)_para Wrote: was just an idea...
+1
Fat.bot.Slim

(07-07-2010, 08:32 AM)Halogene Wrote: Think first, then post :o) golden rule in any forum.

May be ignored only by old and senile members.

i thought to give some peoples inspiratios... i know my ideas are not so good for this concept but maybe some peoples add ideas or oppose some ideas

maybe there would be good results i mean in this case a little part of my idea seems useful (enter/exit vehicles) or?

+use already enters/exits vehicles, iirc (which can be bound).
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

[Image: di-712770583645.png]

And drops the carried flag/keys. But nothing prevents us to add another command.

what the hell is going on with these dinosaurs bougy?
nomnomnomnonmonm:
"the best trolls are indistinguishable from idiots"

You're off-topic, sir Tongue

What dinosaurs? I haven't seen any.
My Xonstats Profile

There's nothing wrong with new ideas, keep 'em coming Sven, I mean, _para Smile One day you'll strike gold with one of these, although it will probably not be in the area of adding more realism.
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

You're probably right, PinkRobot. Didn't mean to offend you, Sven, I only felt you should've been able to find out yourself that ultra fast-paced action doesn't go with entering door codes and similar stuff. Or realistic injury simulation. Anyway.
My Xonstats Profile

code locks are maybe good for assault. its not offending to me Wink i like discussions

The code lock part at least, may not be a good idea... However, a +use command has a lot of potential use beyond pushing big buttons, such as picking up/dragging physics objects, so I think it's a good idea... Look at how it's used in Half-Life games for example, those weren't very realistic, especially not HL1 DM. I'm thinking especially for a potential campaign with npc's/monsters, this would be very useful to trigger specified events (look at the mass of great HL1 SP mods). And apparently +use is already implemented, so all we need to do (as Bougo said) is move the drop flag/key action to a separate command. Smile

(07-16-2010, 12:54 PM)Beefeater Wrote: The code lock part at least, may not be a good idea... However, a +use command has a lot of potential use beyond pushing big buttons, such as picking up/dragging physics objects, so I think it's a good idea... Look at how it's used in Half-Life games for example, those weren't very realistic, especially not HL1 DM. I'm thinking especially for a potential campaign with npc's/monsters, this would be very useful to trigger specified events (look at the mass of great HL1 SP mods). And apparently +use is already implemented, so all we need to do (as Bougo said) is move the drop flag/key action to a separate command. Smile

Trust me, in terms of implementing the ability to pick up objects, finding a way to bind it to a key will be the very least of your problems.
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

[Image: di-712770583645.png]

(07-16-2010, 02:23 PM)Roanoke Wrote:
(07-16-2010, 12:54 PM)Beefeater Wrote: The code lock part at least, may not be a good idea... However, a +use command has a lot of potential use beyond pushing big buttons, such as picking up/dragging physics objects, so I think it's a good idea... Look at how it's used in Half-Life games for example, those weren't very realistic, especially not HL1 DM. I'm thinking especially for a potential campaign with npc's/monsters, this would be very useful to trigger specified events (look at the mass of great HL1 SP mods). And apparently +use is already implemented, so all we need to do (as Bougo said) is move the drop flag/key action to a separate command. Smile

Trust me, in terms of implementing the ability to pick up objects, finding a way to bind it to a key will be the very least of your problems.

I'm no programmer (yet, except PHP), I'm just saying it would be a nice feature. I'm aware Xonotic doesn't have a physics implementation yet (at least not in the main branch, right?), but once it's in there I can't see how hard it would be. And believe me, I can envision the potential problems.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Use more music tracks in new maps Lee_Stricklin 2 3,419 02-17-2017, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  [SUGGESTION] Bigger Exit Button aa 12 9,335 12-24-2013, 10:48 PM
Last Post: raffi98
  [SUGGESTION] Suggestion: Need tribes like outdoor map; need bot learn to use jetpack or hook zwz 30 35,333 12-21-2013, 03:12 PM
Last Post: tZork
  [SUGGESTION] Clan Logo Graffiti / Tag spray button Sarge999 3 7,779 11-19-2011, 10:42 AM
Last Post: chooksta
  [SUGGESTION] +use and -use for func_button Minkovsky 0 2,229 02-15-2011, 06:01 AM
Last Post: Minkovsky
  [SUGGESTION] Use BitTorrent for hosting maps; or stream them IDWMaster 39 40,641 09-07-2010, 08:00 AM
Last Post: nelsonnebraska
  [SUGGESTION] The "Xonotic Forums" button... MC SE7EN 0 2,799 03-23-2010, 11:57 PM
Last Post: MC SE7EN