Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DISCUSSION] Surf maps to attract new players

just in case you didn't know surfing is a quirk with the quake and source engine just look up cs go surfing or something to gain a idea of what i am talking about. 
i am pretty sure you can surf in this game, i know because i have done it on a small scale. you might have to increase the air strafing value to get it to work well.
now why would you want to do this?
to attract the cs-go and tf2 surfing community.
why would they want to surf in xonotic?
because xonotic has more complex movement mechanics than csgo and tf2.
so you could make a surfing defrag hybrid map thing. and those players might want to play that kind of thing.
you could advertise it on surfing youtube channels or get them to check it out.
also i dont want to install csgo to surf because xonotic runs faster.
just an idea maybe someone could make or port a surf map and see if it works.
monkey exterminating firing squad 
Dodgy  minstanex  monkey monkey monkey monkey monkey monkey monkey monkey monkey monkey monkey monkey monkey monkey monkey

(03-06-2019, 08:02 AM)Snowball Wrote: just in case you didn't know surfing is a quirk with the quake and source engine just look up cs go surfing or something to gain a idea of what i am talking about. 
i am pretty sure you can surf in this game, i know because i have done it on a small scale. you might have to increase the air strafing value to get it to work well.
now why would you want to do this?
to attract the cs-go and tf2 surfing community.
why would they want to surf in xonotic?
because xonotic has more complex movement mechanics than csgo and tf2.
so you could make a surfing defrag hybrid map thing. and those players might want to play that kind of thing.
you could advertise it on surfing youtube channels or get them to check it out.
also i dont want to install csgo to surf because xonotic runs faster.
just an idea maybe someone could make or port a surf map and see if it works.
monkey exterminating firing squad 
Dodgy  minstanex  monkey monkey monkey monkey monkey monkey monkey monkey monkey monkey monkey monkey monkey monkey monkey

I made a surf DM map, with another concept on the way.
[Image: cZTch.jpg]

[Image: boUJ7.jpg]

Yes, I'm all in! But what angles are the best for the surf ramps? And whether or not to use slick surfaces on them?

(03-06-2019, 01:11 PM)_para Wrote: Yes, I'm all in! But what angles are the best for the surf ramps? And whether or not to use slick surfaces on them?

They work without slick fsr, I never understood why... As for angles you can check xdwc2018-1 and xdwc2018-2, which had surfing parts, or ask their respective mappers Smile

Antares* your map looks cool.
what is it called and what server is it on?
didn't use the reply feature because it would include your entire comment and that would bloat up the thread.
does anyone know how to avoid including someone elses comment when replying?

(03-06-2019, 06:02 PM)morosophos Wrote: They work without slick fsr, I never understood why... As for angles you can check xdwc2018-1 and xdwc2018-2, which had surfing parts, or ask their respective mappers Smile
Thanks for the info Smile

(03-07-2019, 08:35 AM)Snowball Wrote: does anyone know how to avoid including someone elses comment when replying?

Reply in this forum is just a shortcut for quote+new reply. But just edit out the parts of the quoted post you dont need.

BBCode parses like this: [function-start] text bla bla [\function-end] or in this case: [quote='name' dateline = postID] thats what she said [\quote]
So as long you don't touch the stuff unsice the brackets youre good to go. (if you meant that)

(03-07-2019, 08:35 AM)Snowball Wrote: Antares* your map looks cool.
what is it called and what server is it on?
didn't use the reply feature because it would include your entire comment and that would bloat up the thread.
does anyone know how to avoid including someone elses comment when replying?

http://stats.xonotic.org/search?fs=&map_name=frosthalo

It's called Frosthalo. A US West server, and it's eastern counterpart hosts it.

I don't see anyone leaving css/csgo when they already have established communities with good timers, leaderboards etc.   It would just add another category for world records which we really don't need.  As it is, there are already separate categories for css & csgo and 3 different tick rates.       You can surf very well in CS, forward, sideways, backwards, half-sideways; I don't see how xonotic's physics would add anything.

This is a very fun map. Great job, @Antares! I'm hosting on in my server.

Since vanilla strafe jumping is capped at 900, it'd be a good opportunity emphasize vertical tricks in maps, rather than give it all away for speed. Actually, it'd be a nice thing to see Xonotic go it's own way with a movement mode, instead of leeching off from DeFRaG or Surf/KZ.
Also, to stay on topic. I've tried this combo of DeFRaG and Surf: 

Generally the reception was pretty weak, very few from the Reflex community enjoy surf-jumps and it's not a hot trend in Q3 DeFRaG either.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Discussion: Bigscreen, couch players wanted(Splitscreen?) T3chnobone 22 10,837 02-07-2018, 05:11 PM
Last Post: gruuvin
  [SUGGESTION] Use more music tracks in new maps Lee_Stricklin 2 3,411 02-17-2017, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  [SUGGESTION] New toys not new any more? BuddyFriendGuy 11 9,125 05-07-2016, 01:12 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [SUGGESTION] A way to speak with other players ? Fyley 3 4,663 11-25-2015, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Ch4mp
  [SUGGESTION] Making some setting not changeable ie port/max players end user 6 8,549 10-04-2013, 04:37 PM
Last Post: end user
  [SUGGESTION] Don't display name of invisible players Micha 3 4,614 08-03-2012, 03:12 PM
Last Post: Samual
  [SUGGESTION] Old maps / "low-quality maps" Debugger 8 9,253 02-07-2011, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  [SUGGESTION] Unified icon system to give info about players unfa 18 22,199 11-06-2010, 01:05 AM
Last Post: Rust Heart
  [SUGGESTION] This map is best played with n players tankmiche 10 9,372 06-18-2010, 10:03 PM
Last Post: rabs