Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DISCUSSION] Surf maps to attract new players

just in case you didn't know surfing is a quirk with the quake and source engine just look up cs go surfing or something to gain a idea of what i am talking about. 
i am pretty sure you can surf in this game, i know because i have done it on a small scale. you might have to increase the air strafing value to get it to work well.
now why would you want to do this?
to attract the cs-go and tf2 surfing community.
why would they want to surf in xonotic?
because xonotic has more complex movement mechanics than csgo and tf2.
so you could make a surfing defrag hybrid map thing. and those players might want to play that kind of thing.
you could advertise it on surfing youtube channels or get them to check it out.
also i dont want to install csgo to surf because xonotic runs faster.
just an idea maybe someone could make or port a surf map and see if it works.
monkey exterminating firing squad 
Dodgy  minstanex  monkey monkey monkey monkey monkey monkey monkey monkey monkey monkey monkey monkey monkey monkey monkey

(03-06-2019, 08:02 AM)Snowball Wrote: just in case you didn't know surfing is a quirk with the quake and source engine just look up cs go surfing or something to gain a idea of what i am talking about. 
i am pretty sure you can surf in this game, i know because i have done it on a small scale. you might have to increase the air strafing value to get it to work well.
now why would you want to do this?
to attract the cs-go and tf2 surfing community.
why would they want to surf in xonotic?
because xonotic has more complex movement mechanics than csgo and tf2.
so you could make a surfing defrag hybrid map thing. and those players might want to play that kind of thing.
you could advertise it on surfing youtube channels or get them to check it out.
also i dont want to install csgo to surf because xonotic runs faster.
just an idea maybe someone could make or port a surf map and see if it works.
monkey exterminating firing squad 
Dodgy  minstanex  monkey monkey monkey monkey monkey monkey monkey monkey monkey monkey monkey monkey monkey monkey monkey

I made a surf DM map, with another concept on the way.
[Image: cZTch.jpg]

[Image: boUJ7.jpg]
Xonotic exists for a long time and low player count is the proof that nobody wants to play Xonotic since it is a bad game by default.
- Lyberta, 2017

Yes, I'm all in! But what angles are the best for the surf ramps? And whether or not to use slick surfaces on them?

(03-06-2019, 01:11 PM)_para Wrote: Yes, I'm all in! But what angles are the best for the surf ramps? And whether or not to use slick surfaces on them?

They work without slick fsr, I never understood why... As for angles you can check xdwc2018-1 and xdwc2018-2, which had surfing parts, or ask their respective mappers Smile

Antares* your map looks cool.
what is it called and what server is it on?
didn't use the reply feature because it would include your entire comment and that would bloat up the thread.
does anyone know how to avoid including someone elses comment when replying?

(03-06-2019, 06:02 PM)morosophos Wrote: They work without slick fsr, I never understood why... As for angles you can check xdwc2018-1 and xdwc2018-2, which had surfing parts, or ask their respective mappers Smile
Thanks for the info Smile

(03-07-2019, 08:35 AM)Snowball Wrote: does anyone know how to avoid including someone elses comment when replying?

Reply in this forum is just a shortcut for quote+new reply. But just edit out the parts of the quoted post you dont need.

BBCode parses like this: [function-start] text bla bla [\function-end] or in this case: [quote='name' dateline = postID] thats what she said [\quote]
So as long you don't touch the stuff unsice the brackets youre good to go. (if you meant that)

(03-07-2019, 08:35 AM)Snowball Wrote: Antares* your map looks cool.
what is it called and what server is it on?
didn't use the reply feature because it would include your entire comment and that would bloat up the thread.
does anyone know how to avoid including someone elses comment when replying?

http://stats.xonotic.org/search?fs=&map_name=frosthalo

It's called Frosthalo. A US West server, and it's eastern counterpart hosts it.
Xonotic exists for a long time and low player count is the proof that nobody wants to play Xonotic since it is a bad game by default.
- Lyberta, 2017

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Discussion: Bigscreen, couch players wanted(Splitscreen?) T3chnobone 24 3,264 02-09-2018, 07:27 AM
Last Post: Lyberta
  [SUGGESTION] Maps that promote Tribes-like gameplay Lee_Stricklin 3 1,159 08-26-2017, 05:15 PM
Last Post: hox3d
  [SUGGESTION] Use more music tracks in new maps Lee_Stricklin 2 1,615 02-17-2017, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  [SUGGESTION] A way to speak with other players ? Fyley 3 2,320 11-25-2015, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Ch4mp
  [SUGGESTION] need more sunny maps like Solarium zwz 15 8,980 10-25-2015, 01:01 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [SUGGESTION] Bringing back a few assets from Nexuiz as well as digging through the maps section Lee_Stricklin 1 2,217 12-08-2014, 10:15 PM
Last Post: Mario
  [SUGGESTION] Tuba in maps other than Xoylent GrEnAdE 6 3,977 07-29-2014, 05:22 PM
Last Post: end user
  [SUGGESTION] Making some setting not changeable ie port/max players end user 6 5,069 10-04-2013, 04:37 PM
Last Post: end user
  [SUGGESTION] Maps with a focus on skiing Lee_Stricklin 5 3,492 08-13-2013, 05:40 AM
Last Post: machine!
  [SUGGESTION] Outdoor maps MirceaKitsune 17 15,546 03-09-2013, 08:18 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin