Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[NEED HELP] Sudden loss of sound in Xonotic, can not get it to return.

I'm running Xonotic on Arch Linux, and until just recently everything was working great.  Just a day ago I installed a new Yeti Microphone and a Logitech Webcam on my system, and now when I launch Xonotic in either SDL or GLX mode I am getting no sound output from the beginning.  To be clear, I don't know that the hardware I installed is related, but it is the only recent system wide changes I have made recently.  I am running KDE Plasma as my desktop environment.  I have verified that I do have audio through my speakers when I access something like youtube as well as through my headphones when I set them as the default output device.  Both of these outputs fail however to play sound in Xonotic at the moment.  Any help that you could provide I would greatly appreciate.

I have no idea what would cause that but you should try more recent builds or compile xon yourself. Might also wanna try using a clean config - temporarily rename your ~/.xonotic and see if that changes anything.
[Image: 30381.jpg]

<packer> when i see martin-t's name my blood pressure increases

<[BOT]Hоtdоg> anyone here lives near martin?
<[BOT]Hоtdоg> will pay monies for shooting him

(03-24-2020, 02:02 AM)martin-t Wrote: I have no idea what would cause that but you should try more recent builds or compile xon yourself. Might also wanna try using a clean config - temporarily rename your ~/.xonotic and see if that changes anything.

I'm using Arch so I should have the most recent build of Xonotic installed, my system is currently running 0.8.2-4, is there a more recent build than that?

I doubt any distro would ship nightly builds. 0.8.2 is ancient compared to nightly.
[Image: 30381.jpg]

<packer> when i see martin-t's name my blood pressure increases

<[BOT]Hоtdоg> anyone here lives near martin?
<[BOT]Hоtdоg> will pay monies for shooting him

(03-23-2020, 09:23 PM)SeveredinTwain Wrote: I am running KDE Plasma as my desktop environment. 
Well PulseAudio on KDE is kinda buggy, as far as I can see. I suggest you go through the Manjaro KDE forum, which is active. Link: https://forum.manjaro.org/tag/pulseaudio
Also: https://forum.manjaro.org/t/audio-source...ally/73218
KDE is not known for its audio stability, unfortunately. Also if your using Realtek hw then it could be a driver, or a mix of both.
Have you seen Arco Linux, they include a lot of desktops to choose from? https://arcolinux.info/choose-your-project/
You can also try to download an ISO, put it on a usb-stick and boot and see if various desktops plays nicely with your machine without touching your KDE install. Arco has 15 desktops to choose from, I think. I saw a video a little while back, in which the dev of Arco made it possible to customize everything before downloading the image, so you can basically choose a couple of desktops, or one, choose the software you need, download and burn, boot from usb and test.
I suspect your being relatively new to Linux since using KDE, correct?
GL2U
FAF - FERIS - COPENHAGEN - DENMARK - GNU/Linux  Heart
Homepage: https://feris-xonotic.net

Also, you get the best possible version of Xonotic if you compile it to your machine. I personally saw an improvement in my gameplay, like faster weapon switching, etc.
I'm on Debian here myself, but my next choice of pain is Arco. Just too lazy to switch right now.
I tested KDE before they decided to rewrite everything and come up with Plasma, think it was a decade or two ago :Smile - so many bugs were reported after the rewrite. Have not really followed KDE since then, I'm using Gnome on this machine, XFCE on other low-end machines, something else on other machines, depends on my needs and the situation, what they are supposed to do. I know it's irrelevant, but just to give you a little hint. It does not fix your Plasma though, but it could make you try another distro which will make your life more easy.
FAF - FERIS - COPENHAGEN - DENMARK - GNU/Linux  Heart
Homepage: https://feris-xonotic.net

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NEED HELP] NO Sound in Xonotic-0.86-GLX FinBiteLeaf 3 247 03-18-2024, 07:49 PM
Last Post: bones_was_here
  [NEED HELP] Can't hear the announcer voice anymore gianmarco 4 606 01-16-2024, 12:26 PM
Last Post: gianmarco
  [INVALID] Resolution can't be changed Majki 17 13,259 08-14-2022, 02:41 AM
Last Post: FAF
  [SOLVED] No sound in Xonotic Draena 6 2,682 11-20-2021, 05:54 PM
Last Post: Draena
  [NEED HELP] Sound not precached Leeloo 3 5,234 07-12-2021, 10:27 PM
Last Post: cushinga
  [NEED HELP] Can't set 2k resolution noteven 4 2,956 05-07-2021, 02:33 PM
Last Post: noteven
  [NEED HELP] Sound dissapears mid game mastablasta 0 1,226 10-01-2020, 12:27 PM
Last Post: mastablasta
  [NEED HELP] Can't join anymore fenjrill 5 3,134 07-17-2020, 07:04 AM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  [SOLVED] how can i get defrag entities in netradiant? bananovenc 5 3,608 01-03-2020, 11:31 AM
Last Post: SpiKe
Question [NEED HELP] can't build netradiant (SOLVED) bananovenc 7 4,490 12-25-2019, 03:34 PM
Last Post: illwieckz