Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Xonotic January 2022 Duel Championship

MAP POLL HERE: https://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=9106

Brackets: https://challonge.com/XonoticDuelJAN2022

Hello fellow Xonoticans!

I'm happy to announce the Xonotic January 2022 Duel Championship!
It will be played in January, and players will have plenty of time to play their matches before the grand final on Saturday, January 29.

Everyone is free to join, simply notify a tournament admin on this thread or on IRC/Discord if you are willing to participate.

A minimum number of participants is required (6 people at the VERY least), otherwise the event will be canceled.
I never organized any tournament before, so I'm open to constructive suggestions that could improve this event Smile
The whole organization described below is not carved in stone yet and can still be changed!

1. General

Feel free to join #xonotic.cup on Quakenet IRC or the #tournaments channel on the Xonotic Discord (the 2 channels are bridged).

1.1 Format

Group Stage: Players play against all other people from their group. Top 2 players are qualified to the Final Stage while the other players are eliminated.
Final Stage: Players that qualified in the Group Stage play in a single elimination Final Stage, that ends with a Grand Final and a match for the 3rd place.

1.2 Schedule
  • Monday, January 3, 2022 until Sunday, January 16, 2022:      Group stage. You have 2 weeks to play against other players from your group. Top 2 players of each group are qualified to the Finals Stage. The other players are eliminated.
  • Monday, January 17, 2022 until Sunday, January 23, 2022:     Quarterfinal matches of the Final Stage must be played during that period - Bo3
  • Monday, January 24, 2022  until Friday, January 28, 2022:     Semifinal (and possibly match for 3rd place too) must be played during that period - Bo5
  • Saturday, January 29, 2022 at 20:00 CET:  Grand final (and maybe 3rd place match)! Casters and spectators are welcome [Image: smile.png] - Bo7

1.3 Demos
Admins can ask a player to give them their demos. If a player refuses to give them, a warn will be issued.

1.4 Registration
Check-in starts NOW until Friday, December 31 by a) posting here or b) messaging an admin on #xonotic.cup or on the Discord tournament channel.

1.5 Admins
- [Image: 52.gif] SpiKe
- [Image: 136.gif] MxCraven
- [Image: 55.gif] Mirio

2. Matches organisation

2.1 How-to

Simply talk to your opponent and schedule your games on IRC, Discord, on this thread or by any other means, it's up to you !
This tournament is not a one-day event and thus it leaves a lot of flexibility to the players. Please don't use that time as an excuse to procrastinate and play your matches at the last minute though Big Grin

2.2 Servers

[PAC] Duel                          - devfull.de:26002                         (thanks [Image: 55.gif] packer for the authorization!)
PsyX Duel (France)            - 91.134.143.13:26000
PsyX Duel (Poland)           - 147.135.209.141:26000
and maybe a USA server, if there's any interest.

2.3 Map picking

Group Stage and Rounds 1 + 2 of Final Stage
- Best of 3 (Bo3) (= 2 map wins needed)
- Heads/Tails->Cointoss + Drop-Drop-Pick-Pick-Drop-Drop -> If it ends 1:1 the remaining map is the decider. No draws possible.

Semi Finals
- Best of 5 (Bo5) (= 3 map wins needed)
- Heads/Tails->Cointoss + Drop-Drop-Pick-Pick-Pick-Pick -> If it ends 2:2 the remaining map is the decider. No draws possible.

Grand Final (and match for 3rd place)
- Best of 7 (Bo7) (= 4 map wins needed)
- Heads/Tails->Cointoss + Pick-Pick-Pick-Pick-Pick-Pick -> If it ends 3:3 the remaining map is the decider. No draws possible.

Breakdown of "Heads/Tails->Cointoss + Drop-Drop-Pick-Pick-Drop-Drop"

1. One of the players chooses Heads or Tails
2. vcall cointoss
3. Cointoss winner removes a map
4. Cointoss loser removes a map
5. Cointoss winner picks the 1st map to be played
6. Cointoss loser picks the 2nd map to be played
7. Cointoss winner removes a map
8. Cointoss loser removes a map
[if 3rd map needed:]
9. Remaining map gets played!

2.4 Matches report

One of the players should write the result on this forum thread, preferably with a XonStats URL.
You can also write the result on Quakenet IRC at #xonotic.cup or on the Discord channel (please ping me in that case).

Please enable your in-game demos, in case the result of a match is disputed.

3. In game play

3.1 Game format

- 1v1 Duel (official XPM balance)
- Timelimit: 10
- Fraglimit: 0

3.2 Map pool

Boil - Final Rage - Fuse - Mint - Quark - Stormkeep - Xoylent

A match has to be played again if the players did not play all their games on one of these maps.

3.3 Forfeiting

You may forfeit during a match of course, without getting penalties.
Obviously the map or match will be lost.

4. Prizes

No prize pool, but I'm open to suggestions if you think that's a good idea.

5. Media

5.1 Streams
[Image: 136.gif] MxCraven - https://www.twitch.tv/mxcraven
[Image: 121.gif] Draena -  https://www.twitch.tv/sl4cer

--

Special thanks to [Image: 55.gif] Mirio for organizing countless tournaments in the past, and from whom I shamelessly stole the formatting of this post Big Grin

--

Participants (22):
[Image: 139.gif] based
[Image: 117.gif] CUPATRU
[Image: 121.gif] Grunt
[Image: 55.gif] Halogene
[Image: 112.gif] Hotdog
[Image: 52.gif] JSkey
[Image: 136.gif] KoJn
[Image: 137.gif] KOTANGENS
[Image: 139.gif] kqz
[Image: 121.gif] LegendGuard
[Image: 55.gif] Lews Therin
[Image: 108.gif] MangoMan
[Image: 55.gif] Mirio
[Image: 222.gif] RAINBOW SHADOW
[Image: 41.gif] Ramses
[Image: 139.gif] RICE GOD
[Image: 55.gif] SeeK-y
[Image: 136.gif] ShipYard
[Image: 52.gif] SpiKe
[Image: 154.gif] Verflucht
[Image: 107.gif] Wolf-Snipe
[Image: 29.gif] X

* hotdog in
<XSAX> in the world there are many more important things than talking about gays

[Image: dd7pGMB.png]

Why is Sanctum not in the map list? ???

Oops sorry, looks like I forgot a few popular maps, including yours. Will try to edit the poll, or create a new one.

EDIT: It looks like I can't edit the original poll, so I created this new one: https://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=9106

A tournament where I can agree with the opponent on a time and don't have to play 18:00 CET? I'm in!

* Halogene gets over-excited
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

I'm in! Thanks a lot for organizing and hosting this event! <3
Xonotic player
[BOT] member

There are 17 participants so far!
The preliminary brackets (not definitive!) are there: https://challonge.com/dtl8acow
In order to keep the cup short and to ensure the tournament can progress nicely, I decided to add the following soft limits:

Monday, January 3, 2022 until Sunday, January 9, 2022:      All Winner brackets Round 1 +2 games, and Loser brackets Round 1 + 2 games must be played during that period.
Monday, January 10, 2022 until Sunday, January 16, 2022:  All Winner brackets Round 3 + Semifinals and Loser brackets Round 3 + 4 games must be played during that period.
Monday, January 17, 2022 until Friday, January 21, 2022:    All Winner brackets Finals + Loser Brackets Round 5 + 6 + 7 games must be played during that period.
Saturday, January 22, 2022 at 20:00 CET:                                 Grand final ! Casters and spectators are welcome  Smile

There can be a small tolerance, especially for people starting on WB Round 1 who will have one extra game compared to others, but please try to respect that schedule as best as possible!

Of course, if you are ahead of schedule, you are free to play your games in advance! (except for the Grand final which is going to be played at a fixed date & time) Smile

Yet another change to the schedule / cup format (it will be one week longer):

Monday, January 3, 2022 until Sunday, January 16, 2022:      Group stage. You have 2 weeks to play against other players from your group. Top 2 players of each group are qualified to the Finals Stage. The other players are eliminated.
Monday, January 17, 2022 until Friday, January 28, 2022:     Final Stage, single elimination. The match for the 3rd place can be played during that period.
Saturday, January 29, 2022 at 20:00 CET:                                  Grand final ! Casters and spectators are welcome Big Grin

A Group Stage + a single elimination Final Stage is imho less a headache than the previous Double-elimination bracket format, especially with 20 participants ^^

I hope you don't mind the extra week that shifts the Grand final date to January 29 instead of 22!

Cya next week for the start of the tournament!

Happy New Year everyone!

The tournament registration is closed, there are 22 participants! Cool 
The Map Poll has also expired. The final map pool for this tournament is:

I'll post a new message tomorrow to summarize the rules and announce the Group Stage.

Hello folks,

The tournament will officially start in a few hours! Heart

Check your group and your opponents on https://challonge.com/XonoticDuelJAN2022

The Group Stage will last 2 weeks, from Monday, January 3, 2022 to Sunday, January 16, 2022. During these 2 weeks, you can play whenever you want against all other people from your group, in any order you want.
The top 2 players of each group will be qualified to the next stage of the tournament.

All the Group Stage matches are Bo3 (Best of 3), it means that 2 map wins are needed.
Typically, a player picks heads or tails, then starts a vote for cointoss (vcall cointoss). The player who wins the cointoss drops a map they don't want to play, then the second player also drops a map. Then the first player picks a map that will be played first. The second player also picks a map, then the first player drops a map again, and the second player too. The remaining map will be played as the decider map, in case the score is 1:1.

Feel free to contact your opponents and arrange your games on Quakenet IRC or on Discord

Please post your complete match results here, on IRC or on Discord (you can ping one of the tournament admins).

Reminder:
  • Your games must be played on one of the following servers:
           [PAC] Duel                          - devfull.de:26002
           PsyX Duel (France)            - 91.134.143.13:26000
           PsyX Duel (Poland)           - 147.135.209.141:26000
  • The map pool is:
You can refer to the first post of this thread that contains all needed information.

Good luck & have fun!

Reminder: There's one week left to play the remaining Group Stage matches.
Most of the matches have been played already, [Image: 222.gif] RAINBOW SHADOW and [Image: 41.gif] Ramses from Group B are already qualified to the Playoffs. Congrats!

Thanks everyone for your active participation so far!

Hi folks,

The Group Stage has ended, thanks everyone for participating and congratulations to all the players who are qualified to the Playoffs!

BRACKETS: https://challonge.com/XonoticDuelJAN2022

The Final Stage starts NOW, let's try the following schedule:

NOW until Sunday, January 23, 2022:     Quarterfinal matches of the Final Stage must be played during that period - Bo3
Monday, January 24, 2022  until Friday, January 28, 2022:     Semifinal (and possibly match for 3rd place too) must be played during that period - Bo5
Saturday, January 29, 2022 at 20:00 CET:  Grand final (and maybe 3rd place match)! Casters and spectators are welcome Smile - Bo7

If you're eliminated from the Group Stage, it's not over, there's also a bracket just for you: https://challonge.com/XonoticDuelJAN2022Eliminated

Remember to send your demos to MxCraven!

Congratulations [Image: 112.gif] Hotdog for winning the "Eliminated" brackets after a tough Bo7 where all 7 maps were played! Big Grin
[Image: 55.gif] Halogene earns the second place, thanks for playing!

Congratulations also to [Image: 222.gif] RAINBOW SHADOW, who is qualified to the Main Brackets Final!

Next matches to be played: Thanks everyone for your participation so far, I hope the Grand Final can be played as scheduled tomorrow at 19:00 UTC / 20:00 CET Smile

The tournament is over! Big Grin

Congratulations [Image: 222.gif] RAINBOW SHADOW on his win!

Main brackets results:
1. [Image: 222.gif] RAINBOW SHADOW
2. [Image: 117.gif] CUPATRU
3. [Image: 52.gif] JSkey

Eliminated brackets results:
1. [Image: 112.gif] Hotdog
2. [Image: 55.gif] Halogene
3. [Image: 139.gif] kqz

Full results here: https://challonge.com/XonoticDuelJAN2022 and https://challonge.com/XonoticDuelJAN2022Eliminated

Thanks everyone for your participation!
Special thanks to [Image: 55.gif] Mirio, who helped me with the brackets and organization, and [Image: 136.gif] MxCraven for commenting lots of games (https://www.youtube.com/user/cam12win) and for live-casting the Grand Final! Smile 

I hope you all enjoyed the tournament, even if everything wasn't perfect ^^"
(if I ever organize a new duel tournament, I'll set up a USA server!)

Heart 
Thank you very much for organizing! I had a lot of fun and especially the eliminated brackets' final was one of the most intense gaming experiences I had in long time!

Thank you for that! Heart
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

ggs and thank you for the cup, really hope there will be more to come)
Also, thanks to MxCraven for these commentaries - really fun to watch!
<XSAX> in the world there are many more important things than talking about gays

[Image: dd7pGMB.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Xonotic Defrag World Championship 2022 Mirio 10 5,976 28 minutes ago
Last Post: mariahcarey
  Xonotic Defrag World Championship 2023 Mirio 10 3,361 11-14-2023, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Mirio
  RJZ Xonotic Duel League 2023 h0tc0d3 0 983 11-30-2022, 03:56 PM
Last Post: h0tc0d3
  MAP POLL for the Xonotic January 2022 Duel Championship SpiKe 0 2,138 12-13-2021, 03:45 PM
Last Post: SpiKe
  Xonotic Defrag World Championship 2021 Mirio 7 4,641 11-15-2021, 11:58 AM
  Ranking Duel 1 Tournament | Xonotic League 20 Kotangens 3 2,555 01-08-2021, 01:48 PM
Last Post: Kotangens
  Xonotic Defrag World Championship 2020 Mirio 17 9,820 11-26-2020, 09:52 AM
  [FEFU] Xonotic LAN Duel Cup AriosJentu 1 2,170 10-12-2020, 03:08 AM
  ZenSports Xonotic Duel Cup 5.000.000 SPORTS prize. kanyeshrayz 2 4,182 09-17-2020, 06:13 PM
Last Post: kanyeshrayz
Star DOXA TOURNAMENT - Xonotic 2020 DUEL CUP zeroql 24 16,071 04-26-2020, 04:08 PM
Last Post: zeroql