Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
My opinions of Xonotic.

(09-04-2010, 06:14 AM)FruitieX Wrote:
(09-04-2010, 06:09 AM)BizzyBeaver Wrote: The gameplay, mainly the movement remembers a lot to quake.
May I ask you exactly how it reminds you of quake? In Quake3 you gain speed by strafejumping, which doesn't even exist in the new Xonotic physics. Here you gain speed by holding forward. In the default Quake3 physics there's almost no aircontrol, so you can barely turn, which is very easy and straightforward in Xonotic
You know what I ment with 'lame' now? Big Grin
And without a bit strafe, you can't gain speed here too! Wink
Quote:
(09-04-2010, 06:09 AM)BizzyBeaver Wrote: And what the fuck is the electro?!
The secondary fire is now nearly useles without the old primary fire. And the primary is copyed from (look above Tongue)
You're right, Q3 also had a lightning gun. But did Q3 have a lightning gun with electro blobs that you could shoot around to cause more damage?
They are seriously NOT useless, you are using them wrong if you think that.
They arent that what they should be at the beginning of the idea of the electro (what a creepy sentence oO) And the electro is a important part of nexuiz I think. Now it is the lightning gun. GAY)) it only could get more creepy, if you want to turn the Mortar into the Quake grenade launcher. O__O'''''''

Quote:
(09-04-2010, 06:09 AM)BizzyBeaver Wrote: Nexuiz were faster gameplay than q3 imo.
Now it's Snailquake ._.'
Xonotic physics are faster than the Nexuiz physics, they are just different.
If you have time, you can get faster than nexuiz. But i'm 19. I don't have so much time. *lol*
In nexuiz you can start faster. Now you have to wait till youre fast and if someone started before you and you want to get him, you have no chance cuz he is a bit faster than you everytime and you cant do anything (except laser or shooting him) to get faster than him. In nexuiz you had the chance to get faster if you got a better movement.

Quote:
Quote:srry again for my english ... its not exactly what ive wanted to say, but my vocabulary is limited Sad
No problem, I understand you perfectly well. I've seen much worse during the years I've spent on Internets Wink

Whaaaa, worse than me? Big Grin
*proud*
... and sorry for my english! Big Grin

[Image: BBanner.jpg]

Is this the thread were all of the users who didn't say something before are just saying that they hate everything?

And NO! not kojn^ can say everything! he didn't like some things that much but he accepted that the majority liked them! for example with the weapon balance!

If you like to make the devs unhappy then find a tree and make it unhappy Wink
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

(09-04-2010, 05:27 AM)PinkRobot Wrote: Yes, read your own sentence there. Successor is NOT a one to one copy with a different name! If you have been long enough in the Nexuiz days, you should know that EVERY major release contained major changes! If anything, the recent major changes are VERY Nexuiz like! What was your point again?
Oh yes, good point PinkRobot. To all of you disliking the Xonotic balance: Remember Havoc mode? In case you didn't know... this is what Nexuiz 2.6 was supposed to (and going to) become. There, only one person (LordHavoc) was in charge of the balance, but for your information, the new Xonotic balance is greatly based on input from the community that was around _WHEN WE CREATED IT_, of course keeping in mind we couldn't make everyone happy. (so we made many compromises/sacrifices to make as many happy as we could)

FruitieX has spoken.
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

(09-04-2010, 06:31 AM)rainerzufalldererste Wrote: Is this the thread were all of the users who didn't say something before are just saying that they hate everything?

I hate you!!!1einself

No, back2topic. I don't say I hate everything and I think, Fruit got right with many of his statements. But if I be silent now too, I won't say anything again and I never had the chance to tell you my sight!
And I can never get corrected Wink

I'm just not 'all-knowing' if you think that Big Grin

(09-04-2010, 06:29 AM)BizzyBeaver Wrote: And without a bit strafe, you can't gain speed here too! Wink
Believe it or not, but holding forward gives you the maximum accel. We are working on a movement video tutorial right now: good, it's obviously needed.

Quote:If you have time, you can get faster than nexuiz. But i'm 19. I don't have so much time. *lol*

That probably sums it up right there Big Grin

Unfortunately I don't have those stats anymore FruitieX. But all they did was prove that the ratio was just as bad for other free shooters, if not worse :p
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

(09-04-2010, 06:35 AM)BizzyBeaver Wrote: But if I be silent now too, I won't say anything again and I never had the chance to tell you my sight!

Right, it's ok that you say your opinion. It would also be an useful opinion if you gave devs some idea on how to make the situation better. So far the only ideas in this thread are "make everything the way it was", which of course won't happen. (Nexuiz still exists)
(09-04-2010, 06:29 AM)BizzyBeaver Wrote: it only could get more creepy, if you want to turn the Mortar into the Quake grenade launcher. O__O'''''''
And this is exactly what it is NOT right now. Primary fires grenades that explode on impact, secondary fires grenades that stick. Nexuiz secondary fired grenades that bounce, just like in Quake3.
(09-04-2010, 06:29 AM)BizzyBeaver Wrote: In nexuiz you can start faster. Now you have to wait till youre fast and if someone started before you and you want to get him, you have no chance cuz he is a bit faster than you everytime and you cant do anything (except laser or shooting him) to get faster than him. In nexuiz you had the chance to get faster if you got a better movement.

How about instead utilizing the laser on yourself? Wink

(09-04-2010, 06:38 AM)FruitieX Wrote:
(09-04-2010, 06:35 AM)BizzyBeaver Wrote: But if I be silent now too, I won't say anything again and I never had the chance to tell you my sight!

Right, it's ok that you say your opinion. It would also be an useful opinion if you gave devs some idea on how to make the situation better. So far the only ideas in this thread are "make everything the way it was", which of course won't happen. (Nexuiz still exists)

But it is a little bit my idea. Don't make it exactly how it was. Just make the old one better but in the core the same. Nexuiz still exists, but its buggy and noone will ever fix it.

The Xonotic project wanted to build on Nexuiz and wanted to 'adopt' the old Nexuiz community. And so the Nexuiz community expected, that it will be similar. And similar doesn't mean, that you change the core elements of Nexuiz and replace them with Quake elements Undecided
(09-04-2010, 06:38 AM)FruitieX Wrote:
(09-04-2010, 06:29 AM)BizzyBeaver Wrote: In nexuiz you can start faster. Now you have to wait till youre fast and if someone started before you and you want to get him, you have no chance cuz he is a bit faster than you everytime and you cant do anything (except laser or shooting him) to get faster than him. In nexuiz you had the chance to get faster if you got a better movement.

How about instead utilizing the laser on yourself? Wink
But in open areas you got now walls to bump away from them. Big GrinBig Grin

(09-04-2010, 06:44 AM)BizzyBeaver Wrote: But in open areas you got now walls to bump away from them. Big GrinBig Grin

Floor? Tongue
Laser down when you're a bit in the air so you get some extra forward speed instead of just flying up.
(09-04-2010, 06:44 AM)BizzyBeaver Wrote: The Xonotic project wanted to build on Nexuiz and wanted to 'adopt' the old Nexuiz community. And so the Nexuiz community expected, that it will be similar. And similar doesn't mean, that you change the core elements of Nexuiz and replace them with Quake elements Undecided

Again you are comparing this with quake, which it is not.

Also, read this post: http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php...4#pid12974

(09-04-2010, 06:49 AM)FruitieX Wrote:
(09-04-2010, 06:44 AM)BizzyBeaver Wrote: But in open areas you got now walls to bump away from them. Big GrinBig Grin

Floor? Tongue
Laser down when you're a bit in the air so you get some extra forward speed instead of just flying up.

gonna try it Big Grin
but at last try I saw, that the laser is lowpowered Big Grin

(09-04-2010, 06:51 AM)BizzyBeaver Wrote: gonna try it Big Grin
but at last try I saw, that the laser is lowpowered Big Grin

Sure, but if you use it correctly (tutorial coming soon) it's quite powerful.

(09-04-2010, 06:35 AM)BizzyBeaver Wrote:
(09-04-2010, 06:31 AM)rainerzufalldererste Wrote: Is this the thread were all of the users who didn't say something before are just saying that they hate everything?

I hate you!!!1einself

It seemed to me as if they were not caring before Tongue
But it's never to late! Big Grin
And you weren't a forum user, right?

(I'm just saying this because of the "einself" Tongue)
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

(09-04-2010, 07:09 AM)rainerzufalldererste Wrote: And you weren't a forum user, right?

I think, oneeleven looks bad.

@fruitie:
In nexuiz we ve got new versions with good changes (demo-function, other modes etc.), but they changed always weapons and physcis and it destroyed always our gamefeeling. I dont think our physics was our biggest problem.
people in nexuiz need continuity in my opinion.
if u wanna have nexuiz players in xonotic u should think about a similiar physics like in nexuiz. u can change it later maybe from patch to patch, but i think less people will change cause they have nexuiz on the other hand.

our goals are similiar. we want lots of people playing xonotic or not?

so.
you have to involve new players into the community. how?
ive played a lot of other games on a higher level and i think you need a fucking(srry) clansystem and for all players an ingame newsletter. maybe other things.

an example: new player joins xonotic. (yay )

newsletter: hey newbie, welcome to xonotic. we ve got an ctf tourney in 2 weeks.( simple message, maybe they are interested to spectate those tourneys and learn sth.?) if u wanna play in a tourney or if u want informations, look at our site ******. ( maybe another active member in our forum cause hes interested in sth.)

and u can change the newsletter every single week or month if sth is new or a new version is coming.

training? if u are new u can come on monday ******. ( newbies can learn from better players. maybe movementWink - help me too thx)

but at the moment its like nexuiz. people come in and dont know what to do or if they wanna stay.

if they can spectate tourneys or see a clanranking , they ll see an active community.

clansystem: we need sth like that. maybe an online wiki. not exactly the same but it makes the game more interesting cause all people can see if a clan is searching members or if clan A is playing ctf mode and how many games they won maybe. ( not in web , we need it ingame , nobody is searching sth on other sites, only me and all other harcore players -.-)

i have no idea if u can implement those things but its like the demo function. and demo function makes sense if people wanna learn sth from other people. maybe other point of view. and demos are interesting in other ways.( we could shoutcast those games...but that not important for now.)

this game did the same things like nexuiz. u want to become another game? then go forward and involve all people who are playing ingame (i mean ingame messages - newsletter - ticker or who knows)

xonotic is my last hope, really. i was so happy when i heard u wanna make a new game with active players -.-
im a little bit disappointed now cause i didnt see sth special what makes this game different.

btw. i have nothing against anyone in this community, its only my opinion about xonotic at the moment. i think you had a lot of work and im really sad to say those things, but a few things are not useful.

I think, c-r is looking a lil bit too far for this moment, but in the larger sence he's right.

(09-04-2010, 07:09 AM)rainerzufalldererste Wrote:
(09-04-2010, 06:35 AM)BizzyBeaver Wrote:

I hate you!!!1einself

It seemed to me as if they were not caring before Tongue
But it's never to late! Big Grin
And you weren't a forum user, right?

@rainer: we are testing xonotic at the moment. thats the only reason why we are writing here. if u think we come in to destroy this project ur totally wrong! this game should be the new nexuiz with thousands of players but its only my wish in the end and i see my dreams are going down cause nothing changed for clans or newbies. we need new player wtf. and not the same forum posters over years ,who are talking and the game still sucks ( nexuiz)

(09-04-2010, 08:10 AM)CrrazzyRulezz Wrote: u can change it later maybe from patch to patch, but i think less people will change cause they have nexuiz on the other hand.

That means they'll whine then instead of now, why not change everything right now so we have to make less changes in the future?
(09-04-2010, 08:10 AM)CrrazzyRulezz Wrote: but i think less people will change cause they have nexuiz on the other hand.

It's their choice to make the switch or stay with an unsupported/undeveloped project
(09-04-2010, 08:10 AM)CrrazzyRulezz Wrote: u want to become another game?
No, I wanted to fix Nexuiz (and I think we did a pretty good job at that)

(09-04-2010, 08:10 AM)CrrazzyRulezz Wrote: then go forward and involve all people who are playing ingame (i mean ingame messages - newsletter - ticker or who knows)
Just how? You'll only get this message on some servers (all admins have to be contacted), then players actually have to notice the message and do something after noticing it. In the end you'll get the same thing as with forum messages: you aren't reaching out to all the players out there.

(09-04-2010, 08:10 AM)CrrazzyRulezz Wrote: xonotic is my last hope, really. i was so happy when i heard u wanna make a new game with active players -.-

Would've been a good thing for these "active players" to actually come here and say something then :/

I guess the devs assumed that the people who care are already in the forums, what can they do about the rest? Wait for them and not do anything for a year? Tongue
BTW I agree with your community training/tourney stuff, hope we see such a thing on the main page some day Smile

(09-04-2010, 09:12 AM)FruitieX Wrote:
(09-04-2010, 08:10 AM)CrrazzyRulezz Wrote: u can change it later maybe from patch to patch, but i think less people will change cause they have nexuiz on the other hand.
Quote:That means they'll whine then instead of now, why not change everything right now so we have to make less changes in the future?

nobody is whining. its no fun to play with ur physic atm. but i think u wanna change it and if u want players from nexuiz ,wait with ur big physic change and do it step by step.
but in the end ur physic is not the reason ill change the game. i know u want ur physic, thats why i said step by step to give people time to handle it.

(09-04-2010, 08:10 AM)CrrazzyRulezz Wrote: but i think less people will change cause they have nexuiz on the other hand.

Quote:It's their choice to make the switch or stay with an unsupported/undeveloped project

maybe xonotic become better and better, but for now its not a big difference between the games. thats all. and maybe we will switch in the future when the game gets all the stuff we needed to get more players.

(09-04-2010, 08:10 AM)CrrazzyRulezz Wrote: u want to become another game?
Quote:No, I wanted to fix Nexuiz (and I think we did a pretty good job at that)

my question is if u changed the same things if u would work on nexuiz right now?
and sure! u did a great job, but if u change only the physics and the weapons its the same thing like in nexuiz. in a year u change the same again and in 3 years again...wth? i saw it in nexuiz all the time , but it didnt help to get more players.
your graphic ist nice, u made a lot of others things what makes ur game really good. but thats not the reason for inactive players in nexuiz.
nexuiz was too impersonal and xonotic is doing the same with no involvement of the players ingame.

(09-04-2010, 08:10 AM)CrrazzyRulezz Wrote: then go forward and involve all people who are playing ingame (i mean ingame messages - newsletter - ticker or who knows)
Quote:Just how? You'll only get this message on some servers (all admins have to be contacted), then players actually have to notice the message and do something after noticing it. In the end you'll get the same thing as with forum messages: you aren't reaching out to all the players out there.

i dont talk about servers!? i talk about the starting side. a small window in the middle with some news for every player who joins nexuiz or a ticker on the top. thats the questionis if somebody can do sth like that.
messages on the servers are useless srry. k i see, my english is not good enough to explain it.

(09-04-2010, 08:10 AM)CrrazzyRulezz Wrote: xonotic is my last hope, really. i was so happy when i heard u wanna make a new game with active players -.-

Quote:Would've been a good thing for these "active players" to actually come here and say something then :/

i dont talk about me as an active player. if ur game becomes better and better we get active players and that was my hopeWink
btw. i was reading all ideas in the forum and some of em were really good, but i dont see em ingame, thats why im starting to talk with you.
alpha, beta...i ve played a lot of betas and thats the time where people start to talk, cause im not a developer -.-
i have no idea about physics and i dont care about weaopn changes, but i know if the game makes much more fun than nexuiz or not.

Quote:I guess the devs assumed that the people who care are already in the forums, what can they do about the rest? Wait for them and not do anything for a year? Tongue
BTW I agree with your community training/tourney stuff, hope we see such a thing on the main page some day Smile
[/quote]

yes and we care! thats why im talking here, but i know some of u think its pointless and makes no sense, but i think u forgot its only alpha phase(!?) and u have time to discuss it.

btw fruitie, its not personal, i hope u know itWink
but xonotic is important for me and if you think the games is on a good way, i trust you, cause i have no choice^^
im only a player who saw the same things happening again and again.

Beta is not even out and you are not allowed to post your thoughts about Xonotic if you don't have got a special amount of posts? Dang.

(09-04-2010, 06:06 AM)FruitieX Wrote: Nexuiz had millions of downloads, yet only playercounts peaking at 100 or so.

So.. I doubt it won't be better. Basically: The guys who were quite active in the Nexuiz forum and/or are around in IRC know about this game, Xonotic. I am following the chat on the DCCs and if anyone talks about Xonotic, the average player asks: "What is Xonotic? (I never heard of it)". There is some lack of promotion (I think), but I guess it will change when a Beta or the final 1.0 Version comes. Wink

And of course.. some competion like Tourneys, Ladders is needed!

Well, I'm done with Nexuiz and Xonotic. Peace to everyone.

Edit: I've sorta jumped the gun on Nexuiz, I'm back to playing it. I guess I'm stuck with 2.5.2. :|

Hi!

I think Xonotic's developpers should often release important milestones (alphas, betas, release candidates). This is very useful to get a great communauty, and a lot of feedback. Then Xonotic should be greater than Nexuiz was.

Smile

(Yep! Sorry for my 'crappifull' english...)

Hm. Okay this thread is pretty much negative quite a lot.

I totally agree that the only people who had any valued input were the likes of Kojn and most other "good players" this is why they were actually good, it was built around them.

But on the other hand, I totally agree that a change is needed. Does Quake 4 play like Quake 3?

Does Unreal 3 play like Unreal 2004?

Games all evolve eventually and maybe just because of that everyone will start with a blank piece of paper and we'll finally get some true evaluation of real gamers here. Ones that can handle change, ones that can move with the times.

I haven't just sat here and thought that out. I've tried Xonotic for a good day or two and it feels absolutely fine to me. If it was exactly like Nexuiz remind me why any of us should move from Nexuiz again?

Anyway if a few people should be valued more than others it should be those who have been playing many games and not those who are absolutely moot at everything else.

(09-04-2010, 12:03 PM)Mirio Wrote: So.. I doubt it won't be better. Basically: The guys who were quite active in the Nexuiz forum and/or are around in IRC know about this game, Xonotic. I am following the chat on the DCCs and if anyone talks about Xonotic, the average player asks: "What is Xonotic? (I never heard of it)". There is some lack of promotion (I think), but I guess it will change when a Beta or the final 1.0 Version comes. Wink

And of course.. some competion like Tourneys, Ladders is needed!

People can slowly spread the word until we actually have something to release. We forked around March, and we have no beta yet. If we had told the whole player base back then, a lot of them would have become bored by now Tongue
After we release, server admins will surely help making Xonotic known Smile

ok, what a discussion!

I think, movement is not that bad. Its just different. (Very different^^ )
If the laser would have a bit more power, I would be happy with that :3 (one more reason for that:
Mirio Wrote:With the weak Laser, laserjump are very difficult in close-combats. What a pity.
(Sorry, Im repeating myself, look here for my opinion of balancing stuff: http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php...8#pid13078 )

Xonotic has another feeling, thats true. Some players say, weapons dont have enough power. Did you once think about that? Hm...
Just play a little match ctf. We tried. Each try to kill the flagcarrier just pushed him forwards to his flag! (ok, sometimes youre lucky and kill him; thats not very often!)
When balancing we should think about all (!) gametypes. Not just about 1on1! (or what else) Indeed, for some gametypes, everything is good atm, but others are boring/not anymore that funny!

So, we need to play some more rounds xonotic Wink
We are in pre-alpha, beta will come soon for sure. For changes until beta 0.1 its too late, but we will see then, whats wrong, whats good Smile

Debugger Wrote:Xonotic has another feeling, thats true. Some players say, weapons dont have enough power.

The dev´s know about this problem and I think this will be changed with the next weaponbalance update.