Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
assault test (US server is now avaiable)

I remember playing assault on UT 3. it was great fun
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

Looks very nice.

cool stuff! Somehow i feel the boom effect when a objective is destroyed should last a bit longer, but thats proly a code/data related thing.

Played it yesterday too, but must have missed the crowd. Anyway, here's my thoughts:
• I don't know if the map is the problem or not, but it seems like the defenders should have less people than the attackers. After all, they have advantage of position and turrets. I know in paintball and games like that, the ratio is about 2 to 1.
• I'd like to see some ramp trim in the defender's big room with the stairs--kind of like the trim around the posts on glowplant.
• Might be nice to see the turrets rebuild after some time (maybe 1 min?) for the team that destroyed them.

Overall: The gamemode is really nice, but maps are going to take a lot of work and testing.

(11-30-2010, 10:33 AM)nowego4 Wrote: • Might be nice to see the turrets rebuild after some time (maybe 1 min?) for the team that destroyed them.

the time normal time for the turrets to rebuild is around 90 sec

on this map its raised to around 10min to lower the speed for attackers but dont give them a disadvantage.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Actually I think it's quite natural that the defenders have the better position. Attackers shouldn't have an easy job, otherwise each round will only take like one minute. Also note that roles swap every round, so as long as people mostly stick to their teams this (wanted!) unbalance in roles is still 100% fair over the course of two rounds.

Also attackers can continuously pile up progress, as each damagepoint to one of the objectives is a step closer to eventual victory and cannot be undone by the defenders. Thus even one single attacker breaching the defense lines can do a great deal of damage, just lobbing a few rockets and grenades. So while attackers have the advantage of piling up damage, defenders have the hard job to stop every single intruder. As every CTF defender knows it is quite impossible to keep the base clean at all times.

Of course, there should and will be tweaks. For example, to make the attackers' job much easier, the map could offer more armor and health to the attacking team (or other powerups). Also the amount of damage the objectives can take can be decreased, even down to a "one shot - booom!" level. The turrets, however, should be no problem whatsoever: They don't respawn and can be taken down easily. They're mostly buying a few seconds so attackers don't rush in before the defenders can take positions.

Also note that the concept of "attacking should be challenging" worked wonderfully for Unreal Tournament. If you ever played http://liandri.beyondunreal.com/AS-Overlord you'll find techassault a piece of cake - still it works out nicely and the challenging task for the attackers ensures emotional and frantic gameplay.

I found it quite good balanced when we played the map.
The turrets were kind of easy to take out for attackers and defenders have a hard job to kill every attacker, so the attackers should not be more.

(11-30-2010, 01:32 PM)SavageX Wrote: Actually I think it's quite natural that the defenders have the better position. Attackers shouldn't have an easy job, otherwise each round will only take like one minute. Also note that roles swap every round, so as long as people mostly stick to their teams this (wanted!) unbalance in roles is still 100% fair over the course of two rounds.

Also attackers can continuously pile up progress, as each damagepoint to one of the objectives is a step closer to eventual victory and cannot be undone by the defenders. Thus even one single attacker breaching the defense lines can do a great deal of damage, just lobbing a few rockets and grenades. So while attackers have the advantage of piling up damage, defenders have the hard job to stop every single intruder. As every CTF defender knows it is quite impossible to keep the base clean at all times.

Of course, there should and will be tweaks. For example, to make the attackers' job much easier, the map could offer more armor and health to the attacking team (or other powerups). Also the amount of damage the objectives can take can be decreased, even down to a "one shot - booom!" level. The turrets, however, should be no problem whatsoever: They don't respawn and can be taken down easily. They're mostly buying a few seconds so attackers don't rush in before the defenders can take positions.

Also note that the concept of "attacking should be challenging" worked wonderfully for Unreal Tournament. If you ever played http://liandri.beyondunreal.com/AS-Overlord you'll find techassault a piece of cake - still it works out nicely and the challenging task for the attackers ensures emotional and frantic gameplay.

Some very good and sensible points here, I think you summed it up greatly.
And I agree the map could offer some more health/armour for the attacking team or powerup. Very good post Smile
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

SavageX improved the gameplay a lot this week. He also realised many suggestions, so it is time for the 2nd testing round Smile !
This it will happen this thursday, again around 8pm gmt +1. The server is again the [NL]balance test server.
Hopefully it will be such a success as the first one.

BIG NEWS for the us people:
-z- will set up an assault server, so you will be able to test it too.
US server is available us.testing.xonotic.org:26003
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Very nice, perhaps make it so that the first objective that you added it doesn't take so much damage to destroy them SavageX, just so you only need to hit them a few times only, not loads like in the vid with HLAC? Like perhaps just half the damage of what it take's now or 2 or 3 shots each, so your not spending ages on trying to do it, otherwise I think it could take quite a while to complete the map with a solid defence if they can save currently with that much damage.

Also, the armour is in the corridor to where you attack, I would maybe move it to where the weapons are for the attackers perhaps, it's not a biggy for now I don't think just so that the defender's can't really sneakily get it.

(11-30-2010, 09:35 PM)kojn^ Wrote: Very nice, perhaps make it so that the first objective that you added it doesn't take so much damage to destroy them SavageX, just so you only need to hit them a few times only, not loads like in the vid with HLAC? Like perhaps just half the damage of what it take's now or 2 or 3 shots each, so your not spending ages on trying to do it, otherwise I think it could take quite a while to complete the map with a solid defence if they can save currently with that much damage.

Also, the armour is in the corridor to where you attack, I would maybe move it to where the weapons are for the attackers perhaps, it's not a biggy for now I don't think just so that the defender's can't really sneakily get it.

I think those are reasonable requests and worth trying out.

The additional armours really help/helped, considering how much spammier that corridor is now getting as more people learn how to defend Smile

I like how the first objective doesnt take ridiculous amounts of damage and the other mainframes but the final one does (the core, which is fine??)

Anyway I will have my demo's linked for you tomorrow, it was a bit unbalanced teams though, and I was getting frustrated with people shooting me in the back in my own team for no good reason, friendly fire and reflective damage needs to be off in this gametype for sure.

Also, a ammo locker might be a better idea then all the weapons on the ground, as a attacker I was able to take out the first objective 3 times on my own, before defender's were upon me. Having ammo locker might give the defender's more time to get to the corridor from really quick attacker's like myself.

Also I think a respawn protection period is needed, so defender's can't go spawn killing the attackers spawnpoint, 2 or 3 seconds should be more then enough.

What about a kindof forcefield at the end of the corridor near where the attackers start, that allows them through but not the defenders? I don't even know if this is possible??

Some people suggested a second entrace that can be opened up by hitting something, maybe a tunnel directly above the ground corridor?

By the way I don't think every objective in the future has to have loads of health points, maybe we can implement a switch attackers need to hit and other things in the future, or they need to stay on a switch for 2-3 seconds to open a door etc etc.

All-in all nice changes cortez/SavageX Smile

Now all we need is more new and interesting maps to go with this one Smile

CityAssault is in development hell right now; the objectives and balance depend entirely on the weapon settings and movement, both of which are fluctuating weekly.

But basically, the attackers are only armed with the Laser, shotgun, and a single mortar for the entire map, while the defenders have access to every standard weapon with the exception of the gun that Nexx Corp manufactures.

"But basically, the attackers are only armed with the Laser, shotgun, and a single mortar for the entire map, while the defenders have access to every standard weapon with the exception of the gun that Nexx Corp manufactures"

This sounds rather silly..

Any suggestions for other weapons that should be provided to the attackers? Here's a rundown of the objectives:

1) Destroy the satellite dish that is preventing the LavaSat from targeting the barricade.
->Optional objective: Destroy the MG pillbox guarding the road to the dish building.
->Optional objective: Obtain a mortar for destroying the MG turret inside that pillbox by raiding a convenience store.

2) Get to Warez' House in 1 of 3 ways.
-> Go by the main street, which has little cover.
-> Go by the side street to the rail station, and board the train on the second floor.
-> Fight through the NSB, MoN, and CoG clan buildings, and use the tower crane to be thrown over.

3) Get into and destroy all the crates in Warez' House.
-> Go in by the front or garage doors.
-> Shoot out the windows on the second floor and jump off the train through them.
-> Land on the roof-top and go in through the vent system (same size as tznex03).

Rooms are pretty cramped, comparable to basement, and floors are thin enough to be shot through by the Shotgun, let alone Rifle. Streets are the same size as Capture City.

Is this the map where there is meant to be a big statue of 'kojn'? Tongue

It's actually a stone statue of Dave-san, the only reference I have made for Kojak is 'Kojak's aimbot', it goes well with 'aibot 2.0'

I recorded two demos I made during the latest test to give those that couldn't/wouldn't join in an impression of what was going on.

A game of assault:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsX-av380aU

Freeze tag:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnKL9bmpPwA

(Don't mind my horrible play Tongue)

(12-06-2010, 03:04 PM)freefang Wrote: A game of assault:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsX-av380aU

Haha I liked your "surprise shotgun slap" at 4:24 Tongue
[Image: 370.png] AKA [~] John Smith on Nexuiz

Okay, thanks for video, this is very helpful.

Seems I should remove the cell pickups visible at, e.g., 1:27, to prevent spamming as visible at, e.g., 1:44. I guess this can all be somewhat fixed by more clever item placement.

Anyone who want to test the latest changes on techassault?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New feature review/test: Private Server List BuddyFriendGuy 17 17,378 01-07-2016, 08:05 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  Module (music) support for Darkplaces (again) [test it] nilyt 8 8,404 04-21-2015, 08:24 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  Physical entities test (ODE) MirceaKitsune 27 28,010 10-10-2012, 05:48 AM
Last Post: MirceaKitsune
  Star Wars-like assault map project forseti 1 3,111 02-21-2012, 07:23 PM
Last Post: edh
  [StoryMode] EtherPad for story brainstorming is now up! Minkovsky 8 9,494 08-08-2011, 11:26 PM
Last Post: thorn3001
  HEADS UP: d0_blind_id library now used divVerent 14 18,091 12-02-2010, 04:23 PM
Last Post: XV22