Create an account

Poll: Do want to Unleash the Mines?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes! I'm a happy developer!
0%
0 0%
Yes! I'm a hapy mine-spammer!
53.85%
7 53.85%
I don't care
23.08%
3 23.08%
No one will be having epic mine spamming fun in this game as long as I'm alive!
23.08%
3 23.08%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
[SUGGESTION] Mines Unleashed Mutator

Wink 
Hi!

This idea was born in my head some time ago:

Let's make a mutator that would significantly raise the amount of mines people can place on a map. Now it's a limit of 3 per player, right? How about making this mutator raise it to 20? I know that would completely change every game into mining-demining-contramining war, but I think some people (including me) may find it really fun to play.

Simply the mutator would stop the game from preventing epic mine spamming.

Will the Mines get Unleashed?
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Imagine A CTF game on dance with both bases spammed with flags!!!! YAY!! xD
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

You only need to change the g_balance_minelayer_limit cvar to do this, right?
[Image: 370.png] AKA [~] John Smith on Nexuiz

minelayer weaponarena
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

(02-19-2011, 12:54 PM)theShadow Wrote: minelayer weaponarena

Are you saying that doing a minelayer weaponarena will remove the limit on the number of mines active at a time?
Proverbs 25:8 Go not forth hastily to strive, lest thou know not what to do in the end thereof, when thy neighbour hath put thee to shame.

I know nobody will be having any mine fun on the pickup server as long as waterlaz and atheros are alive.
chooksta Wrote:640t ought to be enuf for antibody
- microsoft windows

(02-22-2011, 04:31 AM)Sir Emeth Mimetes Wrote:
(02-19-2011, 12:54 PM)theShadow Wrote: minelayer weaponarena

Are you saying that doing a minelayer weaponarena will remove the limit on the number of mines active at a time?

I am saying that if its possible, then yes. i mean, other weaponarenas give you infinite ammo, yes? well whats the point of infinite ammo if you can only use 3 at once?
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

That makes sense to me, that we would want to remove the limit in that mode at least. Good point.

Same with any place there is infinite ammo (i.e. all weapons and impulse 99, etc.), in my view.

According to the balance configs (at least in Lee's), if you set g_balance_minelayer_limit to 0, it disables the limit. So it should be pretty easy to test out that kind of a setup in a server somewhere.

The main thing I think would happen is that things would be more noisy. People would be firing rockets and lasering ahead of themselves to detonate any mines lurking around corners to avoid running into a stack of mines 10 high without noticing.
Okay I tested out that theory (i.e. setting g_balance_minelayer_limit to 0 disables the limit) and it worked.
Proverbs 25:8 Go not forth hastily to strive, lest thou know not what to do in the end thereof, when thy neighbour hath put thee to shame.

Hey! I see that there are moar people here who love to spam nasty things!

Well the idea with arena is so, with only mine layer weapon available it is a stupid thing to defend yourself, as it would only be possibly by detonating your own mines on enemy ones, which makes all your mines detonate, and so no fun Sad

So the arena thing without at least laser would suck I'd say.

That's why I think that a mutator will be a better solution.

Also I think that whatever it will be (a mutator or an arena) it also should
extend mine's life span

Right now it looks to me (a stupid player) like those are exploding after 1~2 minutes or so. Which is a little short. It might be too radical to disable completely self detonation time (it might lead to massive game slowdown), but I think it is worth testing. At least I think it should extend the time to make mines last 3~5 minutes.

Thanks for good income people!
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

I tried it (mine-layer-arena + g_balance_minelayer_limit 30)

It's fun @the beginning but then it sucks
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

I have done it too, but like the previous poster (I am not going to spell that name...), it did become almost useless after the first bit. You can run around in between skirmishes dropping mines and hoping somebody runs over them, but other than that it is just the same.

Still fun though. Smile

Can you attach mine to players, then detonate them? That would be so epic!

No, they explode as soon as an opponent comes within proximity to them.

(03-02-2011, 02:55 AM)Sir Emeth Mimetes Wrote: No, they explode as soon as an opponent comes within proximity to them.

Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] DUEL UPDATE - MUTATOR Kotangens 2 2,153 07-15-2020, 12:52 AM
Last Post: Kotangens
  [SUGGESTION] Wall-Jumping Mutator? drakovyrn 11 7,344 10-22-2016, 03:03 AM
Last Post: drakovyrn
  [SUGGESTION] Redesign Weapon Arena Mutator GUI /(+Multi Weapon Arena) luziferius 5 8,057 01-25-2012, 05:57 PM
Last Post: Samual
  [SUGGESTION] New mutator idea: Bodyswitch CuBe0wL 6 6,583 08-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Last Post: rainerzufalldererste
  [SUGGESTION] relistic game mutator _para 20 17,470 08-19-2010, 09:31 AM
Last Post: unfa
  [SUGGESTION] Mines or Grenades hellmind 37 33,263 05-11-2010, 08:12 AM
Last Post: PineTrees