Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[SUGGESTION] Redesign Weapon Arena Mutator GUI /(+Multi Weapon Arena)

Hi there,
I always found that the logic behind the Weapon mutator settings is a bit weird.
(to clearify: I’m talking about the right part in that window:)
[Image: weaponarena_current.png]
I’ve done a quick scratch in Qt Designer of what I think would be more intuitive.
I merged some elements and simplified the whole thing(more linear selection) while keeping the whole functionality.

My scratch could add new gameplay functionality that may need additional coding:
  • Selected Multiple Weapon Arena, not just one (with(out) the Laser) or all weapons as it is now
  • normal gameplay but without the Laser(Version 1)

Version 1:(preferred)
[Image: weaponarena_proposal1.png]

Version 2:(kept the multiple Laser checkboxes)
[Image: weaponarena_proposal2.png]

The "Most Weapons" functionality is moved into the "Select All" button.
But you could always deselect some weapons like the Fireball to stop bots spamming with it all the time.

I think thats it

Hi there!
The main problem with your design is that weapon arenas are radio buttons, so it's either one weapon, or all of them (normal gameplay). Else you'll need to also set up rules how to substitue weapon pickups on maps.
Also the whole menu got an overhaul, I'm not sure how the weapons mutator screen changed, chanses you'll find changes there too.
Also, minstanex and fireball are now super weapons = time limited pickups (like quad, shield etc.)
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

I already have a better plan for this actually which i'll do after 0.6 release (too much work for now) -- Basically, you know how there is a "maplist" cvar and how the maplist in the create tab handles it? (i.e., you can select/deselect maps) - I will make a similar listbox like that which works for the g_weaponarena cvar instead, this will save a lot of space and get rid of the stupid mess of radio buttons haha. I have another idea for the general layout of the mutators window, but again that'll come a bit later too.

P.S.: You can see the pictures of menu updates i've done for the 0.6 release here: http://imgur.com/a/EUvI1#0

Thanks for your interest/ideas though, but this one is planned to be taken care of ^_^

Quote:You can see the pictures of menu updates i've done for the 0.6 release here: http://imgur.com/a/EUvI1#0

I like this updated theme, but will the other themes also get updated? I think more could be done to the 'advanced settings' and it could be structured better. Perhaps you could have tabs for different things in Xonotic (physics, weapons, etc? Proper documentation and a cvar guide have to be made first, of course.

Blaaargh where is my "Refresh" button? Tongue

(01-25-2012, 05:02 PM)rocknroll237 Wrote:
Quote:You can see the pictures of menu updates i've done for the 0.6 release here: http://imgur.com/a/EUvI1#0

I like this updated theme, but will the other themes also get updated? I think more could be done to the 'advanced settings' and it could be structured better. Perhaps you could have tabs for different things in Xonotic (physics, weapons, etc? Proper documentation and a cvar guide have to be made first, of course.

Themes are irrelevant to the dialog design, the same design is updated on all themes as themes just are skins. Also, can't really do anything more there (Other than some minor ideas I had, like only showing CHANGED cvars in the cvar list, this way you can see what you've changed from default directly), as imo it's a bad idea to have balance and physics and such there (maybe a config executor is acceptable though, so you can see a list of all configs in the data directory.. not sure though, might be bad still).

It's a bad idea to have balance and physics SETTINGS in there and with descriptions though for two reasons: #1, the more people know about balance/physics settings, the more disparity will show up between the servers... really it should mostly be using default settings for the gameplay. And #2, It would be an incredible pain in the ass to maintain.

BTW, refresh button needed engine changes, and I couldn't do it before the release.. just had no time.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Petition to Make LG Default in Clan Arena usedcardownloader 0 2,051 07-04-2021, 11:44 AM
Last Post: usedcardownloader
  [SUGGESTION] DUEL UPDATE - MUTATOR Kotangens 2 2,154 07-15-2020, 12:52 AM
Last Post: Kotangens
  [SUGGESTION] Wall-Jumping Mutator? drakovyrn 11 7,344 10-22-2016, 03:03 AM
Last Post: drakovyrn
  [SUGGESTION] Multi-duel TrackPt 8 8,598 02-23-2015, 08:08 AM
Last Post: Mario
  [SUGGESTION] Add r_showsurfaces 3 as a checkbox in the settings GUI unfa 6 11,154 06-11-2014, 02:29 PM
Last Post: unfa
Photo [SUGGESTION] Reworking Multiplayer GUI rainerzufalldererste 9 5,782 03-27-2013, 11:03 AM
Last Post: Debugger
Lightbulb [SUGGESTION] Should switching to the already equipped weapon switch to the previous weapon? Loafers 11 11,566 06-01-2012, 01:41 AM
Last Post: CuBe0wL
  [SUGGESTION] Booster and shielding animations to make arena fighting more believable Lee_Stricklin 8 10,048 03-14-2011, 06:04 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
Wink [SUGGESTION] Mines Unleashed Mutator unfa 13 14,144 03-02-2011, 04:11 AM
Last Post: .Danny.
  [SUGGESTION] New mutator idea: Bodyswitch CuBe0wL 6 6,583 08-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Last Post: rainerzufalldererste