Create an account

Poll: Language packs for Xonotic
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
63.83%
30 63.83%
No - just English
10.64%
5 10.64%
Maybe / I don't care
25.53%
12 25.53%
Total 47 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
[SUGGESTION] Language packs

As title says it: language packs for Xonotic. Therefore this game can be transalated to many different languages, not just English, and can improve gamer popularity among people who cannot speak English propertly or just want to play the game with their native language. This could be useful for Xonotic in some countries, where learning English is not essential and therefore majority of people cannot speak English propertly.

I don't know Xonotic source code, but the simple idea is that language pack replaces different English sentences with the new one. Something like this (English - Finnish):

Code:
You have been fragged by 'killer' | 'killer' tappoi sinut

This, of course, applies only for written parts, not for spoken sentences ("Welcome to Xonotic", taunts, tutorial etc.). And propably this is just a good thing, horrible dubbing is one of the worst things I know. Let them be just English.

The only thing we need is simple tools for translating, so anyone can make language packs. For example, as a Finn, I can make Finnish translation or maybe even Swedish translation (Finland is bilingual country, so I can speak Swedish).

However, translators must keep in mind that every sentence isn't fluent in every language. Therefore it isn't clever to just translate it word-by-word, because the result might be very lame. For example, if I'm going to translate a sentence like "Double kill" into Finnish, translation like "Kaksoistappo" (translated word-by-word) is somehow lame and a bit funny. That's why it's much more clever to translate it different way, as long as it gives to a player an information: "You have killed 2 guys in a very short period".

By the way, Xonotic also needs support for UTF-8 (or something similar). I couldn't type letters like ä ö å on Nexuiz in-game chat, so I hope Xonotic will support this. Especially if language packs will be available this feature is a must.

I believe this is on our plans, but probably this isn't going to happen in the short term as we have pending a big refactoring of the server code. About UTF-8 support, we already have that Smile More than likely it will be available on the Xonotic launch release.

The problem is that currently, all text is displayed by selecting a cell in an image. This in itself is a bad system, so before we have multiple languages we either need TTF support or more font images.

(04-04-2010, 09:51 AM)mand1nga Wrote: I believe this is on our plans, but probably this isn't going to happen in the short term as we have pending a big refactoring of the server code. About UTF-8 support, we already have that Smile More than likely it will be available on the Xonotic launch release.

Good to know. Smile

(04-04-2010, 09:53 AM)Roanoke Wrote: The problem is that currently, all text is displayed by selecting a cell in an image. This in itself is a bad system, so before we have multiple languages we either need TTF support or more font images.

Blah... Hopefully changes are on the way.

If never langage packs become a reality, I could work on the french translation.

(04-04-2010, 09:12 AM)Exitium Wrote: However, translators must keep in mind that every sentence isn't fluent in every language. Therefore it isn't clever to just translate it word-by-word, because the result might be very lame. For example, if I'm going to translate a sentence like "Double kill" into Finnish, translation like "Kaksoistappo" (translated word-by-word) is somehow lame and a bit funny. That's why it's much more clever to translate it different way, as long as it gives a player an information: "You have killed 2 guys in a very short period".

I know what you mean... Word by word translation is lame, and often funny.
Thanks to the devs!
PM me if you need something... I'll be happy to help for any translation work needed...

(04-04-2010, 09:53 AM)Roanoke Wrote: The problem is that currently, all text is displayed by selecting a cell in an image. This in itself is a bad system, so before we have multiple languages we either need TTF support or more font images.

AFAIK, TTF support is already implemented: http://dev.alienTRAP.org/issues/515

Awesome. This is much more feasible then.

It will be probably a good idea to search for a good "Ansicode" font that is GPL.

Bitstream family?

Yes, FreeType is implemented, and UTF-8 is enabled using the utf8_enable cvar.
The menu is also ready for this, basically, you have to recreate your name if it uses any special-chars because with utf8 enabled they map to different codepoints.

Xonotic will be released with utf8 enabled, and there is some preliminary work for internationalisation. If it gets finished, the most likely way it'll work is using simple .PO files (like most non windoze apps Tongue) (Actually, you can already load translation files... but I don't remember off the top of my head how. But you can create a file to start with using some prvm_* command to dump a language file)

random link:
http://www.poedit.net/download.php#win32

once the po file is generated, will be easy for everyone to translate to our favorite language :-)

Can we get 'xsaxish' ? Smile

(04-10-2010, 06:43 AM)Mirio Wrote: Can we get 'xsaxish' ? Smile

http://pics.nexuizninjaz.com/images/dluh...8ffqbw.jpg you know he is learning english

YES! ... send me the source code file where are texts to be translated into the english language, I can help translated english to slovak language

While I don't think that translating audio, like in taunts, would be a good idea, I do think that including a set of alternate taunts, in case the meaning in the original taunts would just be too funny-sounding or long in the target language, in these 'language packs' would be a smart move.

The "Welcome to Xonotic" sound at the beginning should definitely be translated, though.

I could help on Hebrew translation.
[Image: xonoticbychatot.png]

(04-24-2010, 12:31 PM)vede Wrote: While I don't think that translating audio, like in taunts, would be a good idea

Why not?

On one hand it'd be 'nice', on the other not really *that* necessary (i think? not like theres a lot of text you have to understand to play the game ;)

What i can say for sure is that a good translation system will be a big piece of work as it involves finding and replacing every (and atm thats all) hard coded text strings in all the code and then mapping them to some form of messages database on the client.

(04-25-2010, 02:45 PM)Roanoke Wrote:
(04-24-2010, 12:31 PM)vede Wrote: While I don't think that translating audio, like in taunts, would be a good idea

Why not?

Because I'm sure some taunts would end up just sounding strange in other languages. Sure, some might be able to be translated, but others may not. Which is why I suggested that people try to come up with alternative taunts instead of trying to straight translate the existing ones.

Although, I could be wrong, and the ease of translating taunts might be greater than I think.

(04-25-2010, 07:48 PM)vede Wrote:
(04-25-2010, 02:45 PM)Roanoke Wrote:

Why not?

Because I'm sure some taunts would end up just sounding strange in other languages. Sure, some might be able to be translated, but others may not. Which is why I suggested that people try to come up with alternative taunts instead of trying to straight translate the existing ones.

Although, I could be wrong, and the ease of translating taunts might be greater than I think.

*ahem*

(04-04-2010, 09:12 AM)Exitium Wrote: This, of course, applies only for written parts, not for spoken sentences ("Welcome to Xonotic", taunts, tutorial etc.). And propably this is just a good thing, horrible dubbing is one of the worst things I know. Let them be just English.

No horrible dubbing please. :FFFF

(04-25-2010, 07:48 PM)vede Wrote: Because I'm sure some taunts would end up just sounding strange in other languages. Sure, some might be able to be translated, but others may not. Which is why I suggested that people try to come up with alternative taunts instead of trying to straight translate the existing ones.

Do you know languages other than English?

(04-26-2010, 12:52 PM)Exitium Wrote: No horrible dubbing please. :FFFF
I don't understand what this is supposed to mean.

(04-26-2010, 06:53 PM)Roanoke Wrote:
(04-26-2010, 12:52 PM)Exitium Wrote: No horrible dubbing please. :FFFF
I don't understand what this is supposed to mean.

Dubbing = translate audio (eg. spoken chapters or taunts) into new language. And as it was said, many english sentences just don't work on other languages - especially when a new voice actor has a completely different voice than the original one.

(Or did I fail with word order? New one: "Please, no horrible dubbing.")

(04-25-2010, 03:18 PM)tZork Wrote: On one hand it'd be 'nice', on the other not really *that* necessary (i think? not like theres a lot of text you have to understand to play the game Wink

What i can say for sure is that a good translation system will be a big piece of work as it involves finding and replacing every (and atm thats all) hard coded text strings in all the code and then mapping them to some form of messages database on the client.

Actually all the text in QC code can already be replaced using a .po file Wink
And in the engine there's mostly errors and cvar descriptions, which aren't that important. Smile

(05-01-2010, 06:53 AM)Exitium Wrote: And as it was said, many english sentences just don't work on other languages - especially when a new voice actor has a completely different voice than the original one.

Again, do you yourself speak other languages?

(04-10-2010, 08:09 AM)Cortez666 Wrote:
(04-10-2010, 06:43 AM)Mirio Wrote: Can we get 'xsaxish' ? Smile

http://pics.nexuizninjaz.com/images/dluh...8ffqbw.jpg you know he is learning english
Did Yoda... ahm. Awesome!
Why the hell did he use CAPS LOCK?
Anyway - I can make the Polish translation as well as voice acting (also in English, maybe even in German)
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [DISCUSSION] Xonotic and QuakeC: How painful could it be rewrite Xonotic in a new language? derrant 2 2,327 07-14-2020, 06:45 AM
Last Post: derrant
  [SUGGESTION] If it is written in a scripting language mzoltan14 19 15,391 09-01-2012, 07:11 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo