Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Xonotic in the news! (helping to fight child obesity)

I searched for 'Xonotic' in google news today and look what I found! http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&tbo...UM2WgY4ngc

This article is interesting: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/...61862.html

PC World also mentioned Xonotic: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2024877/g...ideo-.html

'Xonotic is an exceptional open-source first-person shooter that provides a similar game-play experience to that experienced in the well-known Unreal Tournament and Quake video games. Designed to run on the home PC, Xonotic is seamlessly integrated with the Intellect Motion lineup to be the first of many planned games that incorporate fitness into the video game experience.'

Smile

Wow nice to see the game getting some recognition!
[Image: 12766.png]
Sucks at weapons

Nice, thanks for sharing.

Well, not exactly "the news", its press release about using xonotic to fight child obesity. Strange.

What's wrong with going out and playing outside like we used to do in the old days?
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

let's hope they remembered to turn taunts off... : /

Odd. This makes it sound like the Xonotic devs wen out of their way to implement this in the game.
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

Have any of those developers contacted the Xonotic team or just implemented it and compiled there own version without telling anyone here?

(01-11-2013, 02:30 PM)machine! Wrote: Have any of those developers contacted the Xonotic team or just implemented it and compiled there own version without telling anyone here?

Basically, div told me that he's worried about the player base being very fat so he collaborated with these guys to help get rid of the problem.

Have you seen how big Assyy is?

(01-11-2013, 02:30 PM)machine! Wrote: Have any of those developers contacted the Xonotic team or just implemented it and compiled there own version without telling anyone here?

its open source. its legit that they didnt say anything
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

(01-11-2013, 06:18 PM)Cortez666 Wrote:

its open source. its legit that they didnt say anything

And your point is?

Of course they didn't have to ask. But usually they do, so we might learn more from the person who was contacted if there is one.

But did they actually do anything, is what I would like to know. Or did they adapt their own system to work well with Xonotic instead, but are making it look like the devs here gave their full cooperation? (Making it look like a sort of seal of approval).

At any rate, they are not hiding the fact that they are using Xonotic. So whatever they did, if it remains within the GPL, then I'd say let's welcome this a something very good indeed. The game got noticed and deemed good enough to be paired with a commercial endeavour.

Anyway, the website of Intellect Motion has a page dedicated to Xonotic. It has an explanation (from Wikipedia), screenshots and Fisume's spectacular movie.

This video shows the system in action using Xonotic:

Edit: If none of the devs know anything about this at all, then think it would be interesting to send them an e-mail to ask for some more information. If anyone of you feel the urge to contact them already, please hold out until we get a response from the dev team.

Did they even modify the code at all? Maybe they didn't need to as the bouncy kid harness thing might effectively work like a joystick, then it would just plug straight in.

Another thing: is Xonotic really the best game for kids?!?
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

Xonotic may have not been the best choice anyway, far too fast paced to play like this. They should have gone for Urban Terror instead :p

(01-12-2013, 07:52 AM)PinkRobot Wrote: Xonotic may have not been the best choice anyway, far too fast paced to play like this. They should have gone for Urban Terror instead :p

But Urban Terror is called "Urban Terror".

Haha indeed. Then fork it and call it "Urban Workout".

Or play CTS. Now that would be fun indeed.

CTS would be fun with a motion sensing rig such as that. One of the very few times where I can picture myself having fun with motion sensing.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Finally I can enjoy Xonotic while I chill out in my loveswing.

THAT.VIDEO.IS.AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!
[Image: 10253.png]

(01-12-2013, 10:38 AM)asyyy Wrote: Finally I can enjoy Xonotic while I chill out in my loveswing.
Cybernex?

(01-12-2013, 11:17 AM)PinkRobot Wrote: Cybernex?
Is that an offer? Big Grin

I doubt that they needed to modify anything. Also I guess that that system would work with most games. To me, it looks like they just changed the signal source. Instead of WASD, you've that balance pad with 4 zones. And instead of having a mouse, you've an infra red (?) gun. And I guess with some rapid motions you jump/crouch.

Look at this to get an idea of what *is* possible and what real motion tracking means. And yes, if I ever have the money, I'll buy something like that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQR49JGySTM

and I remind you: That was 2 years ago.

Fun thing: The reason he screams like a child is that there are paintball guns set up around the dome, so if you get shot in the game...you actually feel it.

Laughing really hard imagining a fat kid strapped into that thing...

Couldn't they afford to stick a bigger screen in front? Couldn't see shit if it were me. Also, bunny hopping would look funny as hell.

I like the idea of paintball guns toughening kids the fuck up, they should incorporate that into this design.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help fight internet censorship and SOPA! MirceaKitsune 22 24,728 03-08-2012, 03:24 PM
Last Post: Maddin
  Good news everyone! (ID Tech 4) Minkovsky 32 28,992 03-01-2012, 10:14 PM
Last Post: .Danny.