Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
little mexico V2

I have no signature . That is all .

Xonotic crashed with segmentation fault >_<

(06-12-2010, 11:34 AM)tankmiche Wrote: Xonotic crashed with segmentation fault >_<

i updated and also got the segfault . then ran it again and it worked . but im going to build a version 3 . compatible for nexuiz . plus i missed something small that needs attention.

You're breaking MikeeUSA's records in terms of pk3 size, and he had gigantic maps with uncompressed textures :x
(I think he went only as far as 50MB)

This, IMHO, *has* to be addressed, or else hatred will pour as soon as this map is used on a server.

Well, making low-res textures would be lame. I can't imagine that grassy really tries to cater to the majority; the people who play real DM (on private servers) will play a map regardless of the package size.
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

[Image: di-712770583645.png]

81 megabytes.

will be my new goal

for damn small xonotic.

Big Grin
ps. jpg compression on textures usually won't make a big difference in quality, but will guarantee much lower pk3 sizes (didn't dl yet, crappy connection, but assuming you are using lots of tga). Alpha maps can be saved as texturename_alpha.jpg since a long time, so alpha channels on tga no longer is a valid excuse Tongue

You can of course provide a source zip download with uncompressed tga textures, but for the sake of pk3 size, you should compress at least textures in the release.
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

Yeah, it crashes the engine here as well, which is weird (Xonotic on my end). And I agree the file size is very big for a map, in case it can be reduced. Otherwise the map looks nice from the screenshots Smile

parasti has committed a fix into the dp branch parasti/fix-tga-crash

Ran around it with nexrun physics for a while just because I felt like strafing, awesome xD
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

i was under the impression that when xonotic is released publicly that all maps would have tga or png textures at the minimum of 2048x2 . ( the minimum standard )
then when a player downloads a map in the server , a magical script would convert all images to jpg format . thus creating a smaller download .
Now , i have been very busy lately and things could have changed since i saw this conversation between fruiteX and divVerent .

question : So tga is not required for alpha channels anymore ? jpg now supports alphas' ?

This is an AWESOME maps but not usable with its current size. I think max it should be 20MB.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

(05-29-2013, 10:00 AM)end user Wrote: This is an AWESOME maps but not usable with its current size. I think max it should be 20MB.

What a thread revival.

Hey!

Thanks for this map, I like to play on sunny places Big Grin

Greetings!
XMPP Conferences
xonotic@conference.jabber.org → General discussion
xonotic@conf.jabberes.org → Spanish-speakers
I pronounce it Shonotic.

(05-29-2013, 10:00 AM)end user Wrote: I think max it should be 20MB.

Stupid comment. Its normal that pk3 gets with only custom textures.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

(05-30-2013, 04:20 AM)Cortez666 Wrote: Stupid comment.

Like that was any less stupid...

(05-30-2013, 04:20 AM)Cortez666 Wrote: Its normal that pk3 gets with only custom textures.

Nobody seems to disagree with that. But the same map could ship with super HD unoptimized textures and have twice the size, would you still think it's fine? Where would you draw the line, Cortez?

I duno, i duno, bit sice we are all making stubid comments, I am including a megatexture(32768x32768) to my next map.
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

(05-30-2013, 04:20 AM)Cortez666 Wrote:
(05-29-2013, 10:00 AM)end user Wrote: I think max it should be 20MB.

Stupid comment. Its normal that pk3 gets with only custom textures.

Well thats great if you want to play single and with friends who can wait to download but for a public server no one would wait for it.

Hey its an awesome map besides that.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

I put the mp on my FT server and people managed to stick around although most were EU players and since the server is in Germany their DL speeds were pretty good.

yeah ... this is one of those maps where the match is over by the time if finishes ...

the current texture state is 512x2 minimum with gloss and normal/heightmaps ... 2048x2 is for skys ... textures can be larger than 512x2 if the texture is used on large spaces and repetition is an issue....

ill edit this post with info about the map once it finishes downloading

edit:: looks great (although the texture that goes on the top of the bridge thing (the road) was black ... not sure if intended or not)
also this thing is very well optimized ... i was running at +200 fps ... normally im borderline 60
it plays pretty well too ...

Nice to see you around grasshopper ... i keep seeing your name while browsing old nexuiz forms and always wonder what happened to you.

(06-06-2013, 09:28 AM)hutty Wrote: Nice to see you around grasshopper ... i keep seeing your name while browsing old nexuiz forms and always wonder what happened to you.

Not sure you noticed the age of the thread and the last time grasshopper logged in.

Well I might have spoken too soon, seems people are willing to wait for the download to play it. Its been getting regular rotation on my Freeze Mofo server. http://stats.xonotic.org/map/2342

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Little Mexico v1r1 Grasshopper 30 31,831 06-08-2010, 05:35 PM
Last Post: Roanoke