Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CTF-Maps for non-public matches

Having played several bigger CTF-matches lately (which is quite unusal in europe) i learned that we maybe should think of new maps to add to the future ladder-pool.
Since all maps need to be tested i want to start quite early with that.

This thread is intended to discuss wether a map is playable non-public - and if so if it's best with 6, 8 or 10 players - or not.

Having discussed this issue with cortez, mirio and sless we came up with this first brainstorming:

3on3:
-Battlevalentine
-Blockscape
-Brokenworld
-crossover
-dance
-darkzonectf
-hydronex
-manifold
-destructive
-skycastle (played that when it was published. good)
-vitamea (we tried that when it was quite new. good)
-rotactf (tried Nexuiz pre2.5. good)
-forkamuse91
-mojoctf (played that with cortez 2on4 public. good)
-dusty
-symdusty
-soylentctf

4on4:
-aggressorctf
-altars
-aurora
-boxgardens
-cb_ctf4
-controlfactor
-darkzonectf (played beta and final map before publishing. good)
-tripzone
-lavaflag (I played it with my clan back in the time when i h8ed that map. however it wasn't that bad after all in retrospect)
-hydronex
-moonstone
-reservoir
-skycastle
-vitamea
-tznex3
-forkamuse91
-hourglas
-mojoctf
-rehydrated
-symdusty
-mIKEctf2
-soylentctf

5on5:
agressor-ctf
Altars
Aurora
Boogie
cb_ctf4
controlfactor
tripzone
lavaflag
moonstone (we played that some days ago and it was excellent)
reservoir
tznex3
forkamuse91
hourglas
rehydrated
mIKEctf2 (we played that some days ago and it was excellent)
capturecity

Maps I/we could not put into a category or which are assumed to be playable with 6-10 people:
geometry ; gasolinepowered ; ctctf3_nex_r1 ; hal_palindrome ; mIKEctf3

I reckon that the old four maps (facing ,runningman, bloodprison, greatwall) stay in the pool for those are really great, balanced and thoroughly tested maps.

I want you to post your experiences with the maps posted above or new map-ideas (including their category: 3on3, 4on4 or 5on5). I will include them in the list in order to keep it clearly.

If it's ok for the forum we might as well add demos to the single maps in order to show the others how it might look like to play this map.

64 vs 64
RedStarRepublic4

Big Grin
[Image: di-712770583645.png]

Don't mean to be the sour milk in this party, but since Xonotic will have virtually a new maplist that will come with the game, the thread is a little pointless as we have no idea if weapons get changed, if ammo will etc etc how this will effect these 'nexuiz maps'.
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

You want to tell me that you are going to change weapons and gameplay so extremely that it will affect all maps and thus create a compeletly new game?

Not me? But as far as i'm aware there will nearly be all new maps, except for a few re-makes. Physics already are different in the current version, models are all different, graphics better etc etc.

Weapons will probably stay pretty much as they are, but expect the fire-modes to be different I think for a lot of them as well as how they fire, could be faster/slower projectiles..I would assume same 'weapons' so to speak, but what they actually fire/speed will be different.

Expect a fresher game that has similarities from nexuiz but is probably going to have a few changes..atleast that's what i'm expecting, after all 'nexuiz 2.6' was meant to be a major overhaul, with the weapon modes/balance completely changed, I can't see why it is going to be any different now or should be, personally just re-dressing xonotic as a better looking nexuiz isn't really going to fool anyone who has played the game before and not really attract much more new players..or players from the FPS target audience, which i'm guessing is going to be the Unreal Tournament/Quake series.

Without some big gameplay changes (which I think is happening) I can't see it happening either, hope you get what I mean.
Whatever happens/is happening you should take comfort in knowing the Dev's and contributors are doing an awesome job currently with what we have seen, exciting times? Indeed.

Models and graphics don't matter at all Tongue
Yeah indeed physics became crappier with every new release of nexuiz destroying my movement several times and forcing me to learn everything new. I'm used to that. But that never affected the maps. They stayed the same all along.

I don't see why we shouldn'T port good old maps, which we here tested as suitable. I want to test just the size of the map. I know that gameplay will change slightly (and i hope it won't be too much, although i expect it to happen as usall: everything changes and makes my gameexperience totally crappy and removing any trace of my skill)

I know that they are currently porting old maps. Why do they do it, if xonotic will turn over all weapons every balance and all movement anyway?

Because they still want good quality maps, I'm just saying a lot of the old maps MAY not work, i'm not saying they won't.

What i'm saying is Xonotic is going to come with 'new' high-quality maps, and this is something i'm looking forward too, I would expect that there will be much better suitable maps then some of the public stuff at the moment as part of it's standard release.

(05-20-2010, 05:41 PM)kojn^ Wrote: What i'm saying is Xonotic is going to come with 'new' high-quality maps, and this is something i'm looking forward too, I would expect that there will be much better suitable maps then some of the public stuff at the moment as part of it's standard release.

You know that all maps which are planned for a first release are based on Nexuiz and they mostly get a visual overhaul?

I was told, only a few of the old one's were going to be put in with visual overhaul's and the rest would be new maps.

(05-21-2010, 06:51 AM)kojn^ Wrote: I was told, only a few of the old one's were going to be put in with visual overhaul's and the rest would be new maps.

http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/xonotic/...rt_Roadmap look in the map area

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Slowmo Matches? drummyfish 8 3,884 05-07-2021, 08:21 AM
Last Post: Aurum
  Some non-pro gameplay video unfa 9 6,832 07-07-2017, 09:17 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  Two Minsta 1on1 matches - XXX vs Smilecythe (with my commentary) Smilecythe 10 12,935 04-05-2013, 08:47 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  Public Deathmatch Server asyyy 12 10,894 11-04-2011, 04:36 PM
Last Post: Mepper
  Competitive 2v2 TDM Maps and Duel Maps rabs 6 8,034 04-20-2010, 06:20 AM
Last Post: kojn^