Create an account

Poll: Include map in initial Xonotic release?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
87.80%
36 87.80%
No
12.20%
5 12.20%
Total 41 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[CTF] Dance

READ BEFORE VOTING!

I thought about starting a convention, adding a poll to each map release thread with the question: "include map in the initial Xonotic release?" so that the developers can get a quick overview of what the community thinks about a certain map. So here's the first such thread, with a test version of a Dance remix! Smile

Do keep in mind when voting:
- The maps included in Xonotic must be of very high quality both visually and gameplay-wise. They will most likely represent what a new player/reviewer/whatever will see when they play the game for the first time, and as such they must be GOOD!
- We don't need every map shipped with the release, only the very best creations by the community! More maps are easily available on a server, due to the easy curl downloads you are all familiar with...

[Image: ntjdkjltlfyccs7pj51_thumb.jpg][Image: l6u4dk0ufdoivmpy0mqq_thumb.jpg][Image: qqcfq3cf6p6mwxw05o2d_thumb.jpg]
[Image: sec8r6lbjbyljzjm7brc_thumb.jpg][Image: 29xg8ajq1cdzrnqk1s4_thumb.jpg]

http://www.hrfdesign.com/crap/maps/ctf/dance_alpha1.pk3

You need Xonotic GIT to test, get it here:
http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/xonotic/...ory_Access
My vote: yes (big surprise Smile)

Reason: Map turned out even better than expected after lots of hard work, and is really easy to move around on. Good flow, good weapon placement, very fast paced (I managed to capture in 5.16s noweap with the current (29.05.2010) default Xonotic physics). Can't say much about the gameplay yet though, need to play a real match on it first! IMO skybox doesn't really fit the theme, but it creates some really nice lighting Tongue Should maybe be a space skybox instead... (polluted earth? Not much light there however)
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

YES YES YES, Dance has one of the best gameplay if you are talking about CTF Big Grin

(05-29-2010, 11:31 AM)FruitieX Wrote: The maps included in Xonotic must be of very high quality both visually and gameplay-wise. They will most likely represent what a new player/reviewer/whatever will see when they play the game for the first time, and as such they must be GOOD!

Graphics are good, and gameplay in dance has always been just fine IMO.

(05-29-2010, 11:31 AM)FruitieX Wrote: Reason: Map turned out even better than expected after lots of hard work, and is really easy to move around on. Good flow, good weapon placement, very fast paced (I managed to capture in 5.16s noweap with the current (29.05.2010) default Xonotic physics). Can't say much about the gameplay yet though, need to play a real match on it first!

It's a very good remix indeed! Tip of the hat to thee, sir.
I, too, shall await a full game on it.

(05-29-2010, 11:31 AM)FruitieX Wrote: IMO skybox doesn't really fit the theme, but it creates some really nice lighting Tongue Should maybe be a space skybox instead... (polluted earth? Not much light there however)

That's a problem I noticed too; I mean, the skybox is astounding and the overall effect is breathtaking, but the "OMGONLYSPACETHEME" directive is always there. Have you tried with some other skybox? Maybe a glowing star near a nebula could make the same effect as the sunset skybox.

Given what I've written above, this is a big fat YES. Keep up the good work!

Nice work FruiteX. I would like to propose the following theme for the level which will not effect game play in anyway.

The level seems very much to me like an oil rig at sea, with 4 large pilons into the ground holding it up. If the space theme wants the be maintained then it could be at night. Or even an "oil" rig on an asteroid or small moon!
http://blog.kir.com/archives/oil%20rig%20offshore2.jpg
http://petersonacsecurity.com/yahoo_site...212623.jpg

Please specify what them you would like so i can commit to a skybox. I would personally like to see one it at sea or on a small moon. I we should try to avoid space floater themes where possible. Smile
There's nothing better than getting off you butt and contributing to a community. There is no excuse when it comes to computers. Spend a little of you playing time, giving back Smile

Oil rig at night would be awesome :o
First screen is exactly what I'd want in that case Smile

A couple of suggestions:

- Make the boundaries bigger in all directions. At the moment you can't RL jump to the other side, and you can't swing underneath with the hook.

- Make sun directly overhead, as the current sun position makes the map asymmetrical.

Other than that, I'm giving it a definite yes due to both it's undeniable awesomeness and the fact that it is a perfect example of Xonotic style gameplay.
[Image: vN3NkMA]
(Idea stolen from Mr. Bougo. Hehehehe)

Oil rig at a moon: fantastic idea!
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

http://www.offshore-job.net/pics/oil_rig1_night.jpg

do you mean more like this, we will need more lighting Smile

clanclanclan, what is wrong with an asymmetrical sun? It offers realism and has no effect on gameplay.

I Plan to make a night time skybox at sea with the a moon acting as the like source making shadows
There's nothing better than getting off you butt and contributing to a community. There is no excuse when it comes to computers. Spend a little of you playing time, giving back Smile

Asteroid, moon? Big Grin
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

there should be more space to fall down and hook like in the original version

I like the skybox. It makes it look serene. The graphical style of the map itself is superb. It is simple, clean, and streamlined.
That said, why are there cubes in the base? In any case, I voted yes.
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

[Image: di-712770583645.png]

Cuinnton Wrote:clanclanclan, what is wrong with an asymmetrical sun? It offers realism and has no effect on gameplay.

I was just thinking about reflections and player visibility. It's fine on the lower floor because of the lights, but at the bases there is a substantial difference in lighting conditions. I haven't played a real match on it yet though, so that's just speculation Wink

(05-31-2010, 01:17 AM)clanclanclan Wrote: I was just thinking about reflections and player visibility. It's fine on the lower floor because of the lights, but at the bases there is a substantial difference in lighting conditions.

This is a problem, actually, attacking is harder on the red base due to the light in front of you.
The oil-platform on asteroid solution by Cuinnton could really work; I'd like to see it implemented somehow.

As for the random boxes in the base(s): I like them, they add some obstacles which make the gameplay more interesting, and still they don't affect the high speed capping from the tunnel below.

P.S. One fun thing: don't know what really happened because I couldn't reproduce it, but I accidentally hit the little ramps around the flag and was thrown off in space... LMAO!

Can't wait to check it out.

the skybox is missing here Smile i see only black

edit:

[Image: xonotic000024ioi5.jpg]

at xhair (its hard too see isn't it?) there should be the change from one wall to another, as you can see at the decal, but it isnt visible.

so:

1. xhair is not visible
2. change is not visible
3. the shadow to the right is low-quality Smile
4. the skybox is black.

no need to say anything about gameplay, i think its above reproach Smile

(05-30-2010, 08:23 PM)Roanoke Wrote: That said, why are there cubes in the base?
Because that's the classic detail you add when you are out of better ideas Wink
Nah seriously: it's fun to jump off them when doublejumps are enabled Smile
(and I hope they will be in the release)

I definitely like the new look. My only problem is the red and blue color. Either there is too much of it making it kinda boring or it seems too bright.

The laserjump from the mortar to the upper level is nigh-on impossible in this version
Edit: You have to start on the lower level corner to do it
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

Meh. I'm not gonna vote on this one because I hated the original dance with the passion of a thousand flaming suns. This was mainly because I was alwyas stuck on defense and couldn't aim my nex fast enough to stop the damned marauding under-swingers and got shot while trying to aim. However, since obviously most other people love it (I was on a server once where we got to play some version of Dance for like 5 times in a row gaaaaah) I'll assume that they know more about what they're talking about than I do and stay out of it.
Humans... Dodgy

"There is no problem that cannot be solved by a judicious application of carnivorous dinosaurs." -JayIsGames.com

You either hate dance reaaaally bad or love it reaaally bad. There is no middle ground.

Yah. And I hate it "reaaaally bad." (Although not nearly as much as mentalfog and its bastard children)
Humans... Dodgy

"There is no problem that cannot be solved by a judicious application of carnivorous dinosaurs." -JayIsGames.com

VNilla Wrote:mentalfog

Shudder.

Oh thank god I'm not alone.

Unofficial +rep for you, clanclanclan. (I'd do it for real, but someone'd call me out on it.)
Humans... Dodgy

I want to give it a try before I vote on it, but the original dance isn't a great map. I'm not saying dance isn't fun to play, but it can be easy to camp with the nex at the base from attackers. Don't get me wrong, we should keep it. I don't think it calls for gold release. And swinging with hooks under the map, what is more annoying?

(06-04-2010, 12:10 AM)GT_Gene Wrote: And swinging with hooks under the map, what is more annoying?

Why do we even have a hook? Because it's fun to break CTF even more? Tongue Nope, no idea.

Don't play on servers that has the hook enabled. Besides, the kill trigger is quite high up (many hook fans already complained, guess I'll lower it for those who *really* want it). Just don't play on those servers.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [DM/CTF] Sirlent (Soylent remake) (added CTF version) _para 7 1,657 01-01-2023, 01:03 PM
Last Post: _para
  [Vanilla, XPM CTF] antares-ctf1_b2 (Silica CTF) Antares* 0 2,149 11-30-2017, 08:12 AM
Last Post: Antares*
  Fickle-ctf [CTF] [ONS] nowego4 31 32,497 11-29-2013, 07:03 AM
Last Post: Mario