Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Playing multiplayer?

Hello all..
This is my first post on these forums and indeed, xonotic is the first fast paced, arcade style FPS I've played.

Anyway, I finished the single player campaign and now I'm trying to start playing multiplayer.
However, the lowest ping i have ever gotten on any server is 150 (I live in Sri Lanka.. there probably aren't any servers close by Wink ). When I connect to such servers, there is a noticeable delay between my clicking the trigger and the weapons actually firing.. so it's impossible to hit an opponent. Is there anything I can do to fix this?
I wouldn't mind setting up my own server but I have no idea what this involves and whether is practically possible.

Xonotic doesn't have very huge playerbase and most of it is based on central Europe. South African or Australian servers might be closest existing server locations.

There's not much you can do for internet delay, other than getting a faster internet connection. Xonotic uses client side hit detection for hitscan weapons though, so even if weapons like shotgun, machinegun and vortex fire in delay - they will register the hit anyway as long as you actually hit the target from your end and even if the shots visually look like they're missing. So, aim at your targets and the netcode will deliver the hit in delay. This is how game modes like instagib and overkill are still relatively playable even with high ping.

Well, my internet connection is pretty fast.. but that still happens. So I guess I'll just have to manage with what I have. Thanks.
By the way, what about setting up my own server?

Congrats, you are the first player that I know from Sri Lanka - or even from that region.

You can't do that much about your ping to the servers. Sad
If you setup your own server, you have good ping of course but I think it would not attract so many players. Everyone else would have high ping to your server, so they probably would not join it.
Unless there are tons of hidden players from your region! Big Grin

(12-09-2016, 04:54 AM)ibba3 Wrote: Well, my internet connection is pretty fast.. but that still happens. So I guess I'll just have to manage with what I have. Thanks.
By the way, what about setting up my own server?

There's a readme in the Xonotic install directory, in the subdirectory 'server', for setting up a basic server. After that you may want to tinker with server configuration and add voteable game modes and unofficial maps so playing on it doesn't get stale.

Since you're in Sri Lanka you may want to advertise your server locally- tell your friends, neighbors, family, or send out a basic flyer (I included information like server activity times, server's xonstats link, to minimize the chances of someone coming online at dead time and thinking no one uses the server).

Welcome, ibba3!

I play a lot of games with 130-170 ping time and still enjoyed them, but I'm only an intermediate player. If you have your server setup, I'd be happy to visit and play.

Antares is right -- the best thing is actually make more people in your region play, since you'll have better timezone compatibility, or even easier communication with local languages.

(12-10-2016, 12:40 AM)BuddyFriendGuy Wrote: Welcome, ibba3!

I play a lot of games with 130-170 ping time and still enjoyed them, but I'm only an intermediate player. If you have your server setup, I'd be happy to visit and play.

Antares is right -- the best thing is actually make more people in your region play, since you'll have better timezone compatibility, or even easier communication with local languages.

Sorry for resurrecting this thread.. I couldn't play for a looong time. I'll see what I can do now that i have some free time. Smile
Thanks for all your tips

(04-10-2017, 01:45 AM)ibba3 Wrote: Sorry for resurrecting this thread.. I couldn't play for a looong time. I'll see what I can do now that i have some free time. Smile
Thanks for all your tips

Welcome back! No need to apologize. I've been busy lately myself but Xonotic has always been my go-to game when I have some stolen moment.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Heart Playing Xonotic for charity Antibody 5 5,095 03-24-2016, 07:07 PM
Last Post: Antibody
  So I gotten back to playing Xonotic again... where's the Vanilla servers? Matoro 8 10,408 12-18-2014, 05:29 AM
Last Post: Halogene
  Strenx playing Xonotic for first time :) zeroql 10 12,179 06-25-2013, 03:00 AM
Last Post: CuBe0wL
  Wow, a lot of people playing this evening! rocknroll237 11 15,016 09-07-2012, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  Playing around with particle effects ==Troy== 5 6,666 11-04-2011, 04:24 AM
Last Post: unfa
Sad My reasons for not playing anymore nexuiz proat 23 22,874 09-21-2010, 10:18 AM
Last Post: maxp00n
  Is anyone still playing Nexuiz? MC SE7EN 43 44,057 06-27-2010, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Agamalama