Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Shotgun Idea

Now that the shotgun has melee, I thought it would be a cool addition to give it a bayonet of sorts. This is my current design/concept. It's still a sketch, and I think it still looks a little too steampunk. Really, I'm just trying to make something better than the current model, which looks like a minigun.

I'm going for a human-made, 21st-century kind of gun. I think that this style not only fits the gun's role as standard-issue/baseline weapon, but serves to remind players that it can be used to melee.

It's 1372 polys, by the way, but it is by no means optimized.
[See attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

How would you hold it, ouch Tongue
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

(10-10-2010, 11:17 PM)FruitieX Wrote: How would you hold it, ouch Tongue

+1
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

I like idea bayonet ...
I've got a simple quest : why not making some melee weapon similar to the Quake 3 gauntlet for the seconday fire of the Laser ???
If i'm not wrong the are no secondary fire for the laser, right ???
[Image: bartucnexuiz.png]

(10-11-2010, 04:36 AM)BARTUC Wrote: I've got a simple quest : why not making some melee weapon similar to the Quake 3 gauntlet for the seconday fire of the Laser ???

Tried it. Didn't work.

(10-11-2010, 04:36 AM)BARTUC Wrote: If i'm not wrong the are no secondary fire for the laser, right ???

Wrong. Secondary laser switches to the previous weapon as it has been in nexuiz for a long time.
chooksta Wrote:640t ought to be enuf for antibody
- microsoft windows

(10-11-2010, 05:07 AM)naryl Wrote: Wrong. Secondary laser switches to the previous weapon as it has been in nexuiz for a long time.
Well will be fun to have a secondary fire even for the laser.

Yarp! like a Laser Sword! Big Grin that would make some laser battles more fun! with that laser sword you could try to catch laser projectiles from others!
*everything a bit offtopic Big Grin
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

(10-11-2010, 06:18 AM)BARTUC Wrote:
(10-11-2010, 05:07 AM)naryl Wrote: Wrong. Secondary laser switches to the previous weapon as it has been in nexuiz for a long time.
Well will be fun to have a secondary fire even for the laser.

Nope, tried, it won't be fun Tongue

Shotgun slapping will always win.
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

(10-11-2010, 08:05 AM)rainerzufalldererste Wrote: Yarp! like a Laser Sword! Big Grin that would make some laser battles more fun! with that laser sword you could try to catch laser projectiles from others!
*everything a bit offtopic Big Grin
oh lol

(10-11-2010, 08:33 AM)FruitieX Wrote: Nope, tried, it won't be fun Tongue
Shotgun slapping will always win.

Well i dont like this shotgun ... i mean the Xonotic one
Maybe because i'm a Nexuiz's fan but i prefer the older one Smile

the secondary was overpowered!
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

(10-11-2010, 10:56 AM)rainerzufalldererste Wrote: the secondary was overpowered!
Yeah for short range but not for middle and long range fight.
Of course when i said the older one was better is only my point of view ... nothing more.

I am planning something like this for the shotgun. I will post some WIP renders eventually.
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

Must see it in 1st person perspective. We won't even see the back half of the weapon in-game.

Off topic since post #4.

I like the initial proposal. I would even more like it with a trigger. Wink

Maybe for the bayonet to be more salient, you could not make it centered.
Fat.bot.Slim

I lol'd when I realized that this thing would cut your fingers off. I added a trigger and a forward grip area.

I liked the original Nexuiz shotgun too, but it ended up looking too much like a... stick in first person. There was no depth to it. I like the idea of moving the bayonet to the side. Thanks for the suggestions. The new polycount is 1414.

looking at the 1st person view of your model, i think, maybe make barrels a bit thicker? For me, it looks not massive and not powerfull enough Smile
<Halogene> ok "n1" means "nice one"
<Halogene> "gl" means "good luck"
<Halogene> "fu" means "wow that was wickedly nice that frag"
Frogg on Instagram

Think it looks fine actually
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

I made the barrel assembly thicker, which did help to make the first-person view have a more uniform thickness. It's a pretty minor change, I've got more work to do.

Seems pretty nice, just the ammo cylinder is intersecting with rest of the model in a strange manner.
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Very strange indeed. It would probably look cooler if it was replaced by a box magazine that sat to the right of the barrels and had a way to eject the shells underneath them. The weapon also doesn't look as futuristic as you think it would and has more of an old-fashioned look to it. Maybe put something where the blade is for the character to grip while putting some bad-ass looking sights on the weapon.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

(10-12-2010, 05:04 PM)Jergling Wrote: I made the barrel assembly thicker, which did help to make the first-person view have a more uniform thickness. It's a pretty minor change, I've got more work to do.
Why does the butt not seem to be centered with respect to the barrel?

Otherwise, the result looks nice. As Lee said, it doesn't look futuristic.
But it's exactly what I like!
Fat.bot.Slim

Your model looks good, but I still think if would be uncomfortable to hold. When holding a shotgun/rifle, your hand is completely under it, with your fingers to the outside and your thumb to the inside. The chunk you took out of the bottom is a start, but the pointy bits would still hurt your hand.

Also, how would this gun be reloaded? Just to ask, because it has no visible pump/lever/bolt. I understand the tommy clip idea, but there needs to look like a way to reload it.

The quality of it is decent (it doesn't look finished) but it doesn't convey the shotgun idea to me very well. Anyway, I hope my criticism is helpful, and I hope you keep modeling.

-K
Camping nerds and their xons....

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NEED HELP] Shotgun model from nexuiz v1.1 Kotangens 1 2,441 03-06-2021, 02:53 AM
Last Post: Kotangens
Brick New Shotgun and Uzi models MirceaKitsune 6 4,172 07-17-2020, 01:18 PM
Last Post: _para
  Shotgun stuff Droid 3 4,119 10-07-2011, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Droid
  Shotgun Cannon (large images) Lamoot 54 56,549 02-14-2011, 12:38 PM
Last Post: MirceaKitsune
  map idea - unnamed (yet) The mysterious Mr. 4m 4 4,352 05-19-2010, 08:23 AM
Last Post: The mysterious Mr. 4m