Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mapping: Asymmetrical or Symmetrical layouts?

Mappers and Players, I want to discuss here asymmetrical and symmetrical map-layouts. What do you like to play more? Where do you see advantages in asymmetrical/symmetrical maps? In which gamemodes do you prefer asymmetrical maps? Questions upon questions... Tongue

To start off:
In general, most of the dm/1on1 maps are asymmetrical (ofc, do you need a symmetrical 1on1 map? I guess it would be a bit boring). On the other hand, symmetrical layouts are mostly used for ctf maps.
A symmetrical map is maybe a little bit faster to make for a mapper but asymmetrical maps look intresting to me... So what about you?

Discuss Smile

Symmetric for CTF. Asymmetric for 1v1, dm etc.

I feel symmetric ctf maps are only fair. Its too much of a pita to balance asymmetric ones.
Hey, want to learn to map? You might want to start here and here!

+1 to sepelio

+1 to Sepelio

Except I will expound further and say that I like the weapons to be identical on each side as well, not just brushes and layout.

If a map is designed well, than either asymmetric or symmetrical can work. Generally though, symmetric for ctf, and asymmetric for dm.
[Image: b_560x95.png]

+3 for Sepelio

Asymmetric CTF usually isn't much fun (miniman for example) but can be done right occasionally (I would say brokenworlds, but the map as a whole was poorly balanced in favour of campers).
[Image: vN3NkMA]
(Idea stolen from Mr. Bougo. Hehehehe)

i'm surprised myself, but i have to disagree: i'd prefer themes, especially for CTF - something like "Aboriginal vs. HiTech" - which would have distinct differences on each side; a randomly-shaped conglomerate of caves or huts with protective rock formations, lava or chasms on the Aboriginals' side and designed strategic urban facilites with turrets on the HiTech side.

Furthermore, regarding symmetric maps in DM; PushMod is quite popular, for example. i believe it was Space-fun by Strahlemann that had revolving platforms. While that map specifically, wasn't too popular, i can imagine a fusion of that map with, say, MinstaGib Arena (plus appropriate texturing and other necessary changes) would fit the style of Xonotic. (Then again, it could be argued that a map shouldn't get in the way of the gameplay, but i believe that's not relevant to this discussion.)
4m038105 - Be the change.

I wouldn't mind seeing an asymmetrically textured map like your "Aboriginal vs. HiTech" idea. I always thought it would be neat to do one with a crossover between nature/high tech where nature has been getting 'assimilated'.
Hey, want to learn to map? You might want to start here and here!

CTF maps need to be symetrical to give both teams the same balance. You normally place important or powerfull stuff in the mid of the map and the normal start-weapons/items in the bases.

For 1vs1 and TDM symetrical maps would be a complete fun-killer, cuz they would produce boring always same gameplay. You need variations of rooms to make a map interesting for the player.

DM maps can be both, cuz there most of the people give a shit about balance and it's all about dirty splatter-fights all over the map. You spawn you run you kill, you pick-up stuff, you kill, you get killed and you repeat all over again.

Peace

(03-04-2011, 06:47 AM)WTFProoF Wrote: CTF maps need to be symetrical to give both teams the same balance. You normally place important or powerfull stuff in the mid of the map and the normal start-weapons/items in the bases.

For 1vs1 and TDM symetrical maps would be a complete fun-killer, cuz they would produce boring always same gameplay. You need variations of rooms to make a map interesting for the player.

DM maps can be both, cuz there most of the people give a shit about balance and it's all about dirty splatter-fights all over the map. You spawn you run you kill, you pick-up stuff, you kill, you get killed and you repeat all over again.

Peace

A well-balanced asymmetrical map makes the difference between a good and an exceptional mapper.

Also, mazes are more effective (in being confusing) when they have symmetric levels - i don't know how this would help designing playable maps, tho.... Huh Confused
4m038105 - Be the change.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help, how I create a new texture for mapping? derrant 9 4,831 09-02-2021, 05:08 PM
Last Post: ballerburg9005
Brick trying to get into mapping, HAALP TheSmasher1992 21 8,477 06-14-2018, 02:04 PM
Last Post: Julius
  What is needed to get started mapping? twitch 5 4,427 01-15-2017, 10:13 PM
Last Post: twitch
  Mapping tutorials tZork 38 51,191 09-05-2015, 02:40 AM
Last Post: darkhog
  Advice and Techniques on Planning Level Layouts foogs 6 5,614 09-14-2013, 02:50 PM
Last Post: aa
  qer_normalImage texture: sets the normal map for bump mapping kristus 2 5,684 07-20-2013, 12:50 PM
Last Post: kristus
  The Effects of Alternate Forms of Transportation on Asymmetrical CTF Map Design Majki 3 4,877 12-17-2012, 06:20 AM
Last Post: Majki
  Normal mapping in blender anark10n 4 8,041 06-25-2012, 04:34 AM
Last Post: poVoq
  Mapping pcfreak1997 11 10,121 11-09-2011, 07:47 PM
Last Post: forseti
  [Mapping Theory] Use of lava or slime Dokujisan 12 13,700 01-04-2011, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Strahlemann