Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Woah, where did this voodoo come from and why did I just now notice it?

Screwed around with an autobuild I got my hands on (haven't done this since before 0.5) and saw some strange things changed in it. Bloom is completely ditched from the options menu and out right replaced with HDR, that even more strangely DOESN'T KILL THE FRAME RATE (hell, it may even run better for me than bloom did in previous versions. Weird). If that wasn't interesting enough, there's a checkbox for frame buffer whatever the hell it's called thingy there. Tick it and it really makes the glow and HDR come alive. The description on the box looked familiar though, so I went snooping through the advanced options and found out where I first saw it at. r_viewfbo, bingo. Ticking the box for it sets it to 2 which is a 16 bit frame buffer (I really have no idea what I'm talking about right now lol), 1 is 8 bit which is lower quality and doesn't make the glow stand out like it does with 2, and 3 will kill your GPU but is sharp as hell. Pretty neat stuff, setting it's scale (r_viewscale) above 1 also makes the standard anti-aliasing method look REALLY bad in comparison as well.

FBO options
[Image: xonoticfbo.th.jpg]

In-game, no FBO (other effects settings visible in first pic)
[Image: xonoticnofbo.th.jpg]

In-game, r_viewfbo 2 (effects settings same as in first pic)
[Image: xonotic16bitfbo1.th.jpg]
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

ECKZBAWKZ HUGE SIGNATURE ECKZBAWKZ HUGE SIGNATURE!

So what are you saying with this post, for the simpleton's on here like me? Smile
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

I'm saying that at some point bloom got completely replaced by HDR that has pretty much the same performance cost as bloom did and there's some really cool frame buffer stuff thrown into the effects setting screen that I never noticed before. Also, that's a nice list of achievements you have there... oh wait. lol

Oh wait.

wtf that is HDR? looks like bloom.
that glow is way over the top for my taste.

good thing I don't have to feel bad that my gpu doesn't support fbo's then Tongue

(12-01-2011, 06:30 PM)nilyt Wrote: wtf that is HDR? looks like bloom.
that glow is way over the top for my taste.

good thing I don't have to feel bad that my gpu doesn't support fbo's then Tongue

The glow can be tweaked and my screen brightness was lower than default which makes the glow look even more ridiculous.

Oh wait.

HDR and "bloom" use the same cvar now - r_bloom.

It simply is High Dynamic Range if the framebuffer supports it, but otherwise works the very same way.
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just a thank you for the help. SEEK-fried 13 7,639 01-30-2024, 05:12 AM
Last Post: Halogene
Tongue Why Xonotic isn't as popular sovietcat 35 24,055 07-28-2021, 05:50 PM
Last Post: end user
  What's this and why does no one write for it? Antares* 5 3,943 11-17-2016, 09:44 PM
Last Post: Mario
Shocked Why replace the mg with the ARC? GoregeousGuy 70 52,794 07-27-2016, 06:42 AM
Last Post: Mario
  Why is your server empth 24/7 slowtwitch 10 8,001 06-27-2016, 10:37 PM
Last Post: end user
Thumbs Up Typical linux newbie problems (or why Xonotic needs to be on Steam ASAP) poVoq 4 8,001 03-17-2016, 08:10 AM
Last Post: fool
  I just now noticed... nvz 11 8,789 04-10-2014, 03:03 PM
Last Post: Antibody
  Xonotic nominated for Linux Game Awards March 2014, VOTE NOW! poVoq 3 6,144 01-28-2014, 01:48 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  Any reason why instagib is so popular? Matoro 14 15,696 01-04-2014, 12:10 PM
Last Post: machine!
Question Why is this game underrated satuim 8 8,460 10-08-2013, 11:09 PM
Last Post: kammy