Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
We had 1on1 tournament!

Photo 
Hi all!

To increase Japanese regular Xonotic player, I planned to hold a tournament.
This is my first time to lead cup so I worried but it is end without any troubles.
I hope this opportunity will make more players to join!
[Image: 540061812.jpg?key=16801050]
Good Game ALL! Good Job ALL!

That's great lol

Kakkoii monogatari aniki Big Grin

Great job, thumbs up!

Shame my ping is >300 on Japanese servers! Tongue

Good work, Lento! It's great to see that screenie.
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

Thanks guys! (but as a result, organizer got victory lol) I hope more players come to Xonotic!
In addition, I will modify the game code so that players like it XD

GG, I hope you had a lot fun! Smile
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

Hey Lento, glad to see the japanese xonotic is increasing a lot! I already wondered the last time where all those people came from heh

And I have questions! Lots of questions!

1. Did you rent now a server? I remember you were running your xonotic server software on your home pc
  2. Why is noone writing in hiragana/katagana/kanji?
  3. And for that matter, is it possible to write japanese charactercode in xonotic at all? Or do you have to edit config.cfg by your own hands to bind some japanese strings?
Ok not so many questions at all

Edit: I think it's imported to clear this keyboard / charactercodes question. I know people with a russian keyboard layout are able to write Cyrillic charactercodes with no problem, why is this not possible for japanese people? And if so, how about with keyboard layouts from different countries like idk, korean, indonesia, china etc.?
[Image: signature.php] [Image: DVlpo.png]

Because the font "Xolonium" we use simply lacks those characters.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

[Image: yousure.jpg]

It may be true for kanji, but all character codes for hiragana and katagana are available.

Xolonium lacks them but, as is usual for other apps, there's a wider range fallback font that just doesn't look very nice.

Hey Soelen,

1. Did you rent now a server? I remember you were running your xonotic server software on your home pc
    No, my server applications are running on my home server. Not so strong.
  2. Why is noone writing in hiragana/katagana/kanji?
    Because it is just impossible to type Japanese. Usually, we use IME(Input Method Editor) to convert English alphabets to Japanese alphabet. However, we cannot use it on Xonotic. Then no one writes Japanese. In other words, they cannot type Japanese.
  3. And for that matter, is it possible to write japanese charactercode in xonotic at all? Or do you have to edit config.cfg by your own hands to bind some japanese strings?
    On current situation, we can use Japanese from only Linux terminal.
    Execute Xonotic from Linux terminal, and type "say 日本語" into it from DESKTOP(not console on game) then we can type Japanese because it is possible to use IME from Desktop.

>Edit: I think it's imported to clear this keyboard / charactercodes question. I know people with a russian keyboard layout are able to write Cyrillic charactercodes with no problem, why is this not possible for japanese people? And if so, how about with keyboard layouts from different countries like idk, korean, indonesia, china etc.?

Ah, I didn't notice that. I've not tried it yet but it might be possible if I use Japanese keyboard. But I think if it's possible, we will only use Hiragana because to use Kanji, we have to use IME.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

For any glyph that is not covered by the Xolonium font, the low-resolution unifont version is used as a fall-back.

What I would be interested in:
1. Is there demand by the Japanese players for the Xolonium font to support Hiragana glyphs (replacing the low-resolution unifont versions)?
2. Would you consider the Unicode Hiragana Block to be sufficient for Japanese language support, or would additional Katakana/Kanji glyphs be necessary?

(03-22-2012, 03:33 PM)sev Wrote: For any glyph that is not covered by the Xolonium font, the low-resolution unifont version is used as a fall-back.

What I would be interested in:
1. Is there demand by the Japanese players for the Xolonium font to support Hiragana glyphs (replacing the low-resolution unifont versions)?
2. Would you consider the Unicode Hiragana Block to be sufficient for Japanese language support, or would additional Katakana/Kanji glyphs be necessary?

Current Japanese glyphs are a little bit weird. It is like Chinese font. Kanji is from China but the font is 'similar', not the same. They are different even if both kanji have same meaning. Then if possible, Japanese player want Japanese font for this game.

Of course we need additional glyphs are necessary. As I mentioned above, if the kanji has same meaning or same roots, it is assumed as a same Kanji then the Kanji code is the same. Therefore, the font is different from 'Japanese one'.
However, even if Japanese font is included in Xonotic, there will be no point because we cannot type Japanese from the Game.
I really wanna know how to call IME from the game. If we could type Japanese in Xonotic, I can invite more Japanese players because many Japanese cannot understand English(of course this is serious problem...).

That depends on your operating system. And I guess the engine and input library need to support it.

If I were to ask anyone about this, that would be Blub.

Unfortunately, I can't help with the input method to actually write Kana/Kanji.

I asked about Hiragana because I thought about adding them to the Xolonium font.
However, there is a simpler way to improve the glyph quality by using a font that already supports Japanese, for example M+ (http://mplus-fonts.sourceforge.jp).

I uploaded a quick test package here: http://www.mediafire.com/?e3gszakokv77bz7
You can put this package into your /path to xonotic/data/ folder, to have a look at it.

[Image: izoyhdf4hr1tg2wgo227_thumb.png]

(The package adds mplus-1c-medium.ttf as a new fallback font, to be used before the low-resolution unifont)

>Mr. Bougo
I think to use Japanese input system, Xonotic have to support it.
I tried to copy "http://あいうえお.com" to Xonotic console by Ctrl^v, only "http://.com" was pasted.

>sev
Nice font! This is much better than default one! I like it!
I really want to use it by typing...

Darkplaces would probably need additional code, but perhaps something has to be done with SDL too. I have no idea.

<Blub\w> I had a patch to implement UIM - but that's very "specific"
<Blub\w> SDL 1.3 though is supposed to provide an interface to input methods
<Blub\w> so, connecting to an IM should be no problem witht he SDL client
<Blub\w> for the windows client, someone who knows windows crap needs to implement it
<Blub\w> for the X11 client - if I were to do it now - I'd probably just implement XIM since it's relatively simple to use
<Blub\w> the problem though is how to actually talk to the IM
<Blub\w> in many applications, when you simply use XIM, a window pops up where you type the text before you commit it...
<Blub\w> which is a solution I don't particularly like much
<Blub\w> (I think on haiku that's actually standard, though it's been over a year since I last looked at that... maybe even 2 years... I don't know honestly)
<Blub\w> in any case, the engine has to know when the player is typing, so a QC interface is required (except for the default chat input line, or the console, since those are handled by the engine)
<Blub\w> plus, when typing text, the engine has to send all input to the IM - unless it uses a window, then the engine will just activate it, and wait for it to send text to DP
<Blub\w> to answer the question:
<Blub\w> "complicated": at first, not really, just quite a lot of work to also get the menu to support it
<Blub\w> the UIM patch was never in a perfectly stable state though, otherwise I'd have kept more up to date - or at least for a longer time Tongue
<Blub\w> that was quite a pain to implement though since there was no documentation ...
<Blub\w> at least none I could find... Tongue maybe there is now

Thanks Mr. Bougo. and I'm sorry to be late for replying.
Then, you mean, "the IME is developed but not stable. and It's for SDL version on Linux so functions to use IME on Windows has to be implemented by someone", right?

hmm, if there were some good documents, I would try to do it.

I like Xonotic because the community does rock, thanks a lot sev and Mr. Bougo for proving that once again : )

Unfortunately I'm not very experienced with it or else I would give it a try, this may be important for Xonotic to make it for asian fellows easy to chat, to communicate.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ranking Duel 1 Tournament | Xonotic League 20 Kotangens 3 2,556 01-08-2021, 01:48 PM
Last Post: Kotangens
  ZenSports Duel Tournament for $200 PayPal kanyeshrayz 0 2,133 09-14-2020, 10:51 AM
Last Post: kanyeshrayz
  $150 1v1 Duel Tournament on 9/12 kanyeshrayz 2 2,577 09-13-2020, 01:45 PM
Last Post: _para
  ZenSports Xonotic Tournament kanyeshrayz 0 1,877 09-01-2020, 10:12 AM
Last Post: kanyeshrayz
  Which tournament would you like to see? Mirio 17 10,860 05-27-2020, 03:27 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
Star DOXA TOURNAMENT - Xonotic 2020 DUEL CUP zeroql 24 16,076 04-26-2020, 04:08 PM
Last Post: zeroql
  Duel Instacup (1v1 Instagib tournament) kougi 18 11,874 10-31-2017, 04:30 PM
Last Post: kwakkiezalf
  Tournament donations Mirio 0 4,218 10-13-2017, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Mirio
  Tri-Mode Tournament #1 Mirio 70 59,672 10-21-2015, 04:14 PM
Last Post: doctor.fsh
  Tri-Mode Tournament #1 - Map voting (OVERKILL) Mirio 1 3,866 03-19-2015, 06:23 PM
Last Post: Mirio