Create an account

Poll: Should this be an official Xonotic track?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, as an ingame track.
50.00%
1 50.00%
Yes, as the menu soundtrack for the next version.
50.00%
1 50.00%
No, keep this available for unofficial maps.
0%
0 0%
Total 2 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another track for Xonotic: Mental Conflict (Check the NEW poll please!)

Music 
Hello all,

Sorry for the annoying posting everywhere but I can't seem to make up my mind about where to post it, so I just make a new thread instead for discussion Big Grin

I'm working on a new track for Xonotic, that was originally meant for Maddin's new map, but since he didn't think it would fit his map, I'll just continue the track and contribute it to the community after it's finished, so people can use it in their maps Smile

It's a track with some heavy drums and distorted bass elements, kinda repetetive still, but that'll be taken care of as soon as I can spend some quality time on the track (which will probably just be tomorrow).

There is no intro yet, and it'll eventually loop in the end, instead of ending like this. Minor variations will be added too, just like in X-force. Speed is currently 132.0 bpm.

This is the SoundCloud link: http://soundcloud.com/deshaadman/mental-...view-track

Link to the latest version: http://soundcloud.com/deshaadman/mental-...didate-for

To give an idea of how things look atm.. Especially for Ableton Live users, and also because it has become a habbit overhere Tongue: [Image: Derp.png]

Comments would be really appreciated. Tell me how I can improve it, what's good, if it would fit Xonotic, and so on... It all really helps Big Grin

Criticism is especially appreciated, gives me a good idea of what to change!

This is the new stuff from my latest post:

Quote:Okay, this is how far things look: http://soundcloud.com/deshaadman/mental-...didate-for

This might be the final version, I'll take another good listen before judging that, and if I'm satisfied with the result, I'll submit the track

I did a very simple intro, because I thought an extensive intro wouldn't fit the track, it would rather become something like [ x ] With the brackets being the intro/outro and the x being the song.. It would simply just not fit together

It does loop however, but it also has an ending, so basically it loops after silence, which isn't much of a big deal.

It's still a bit on the short side, but I think making it longer will also make it repetitive, and it may be hard to maintain the entire theme of the track then.

I also tweaked the entire mastering, making it sound more clear and less 1khz-ish. Also added a few new instruments, and a very neat variation in the mid-piece. Break remained unchanged, because a break should be a true break Made the main instrument a bit harder though on request, might sound better now!

Take a look and judge the track for yourself (and for me of course )

Thanks for listening!

EDIT: Okay, playtested it in DM-Solarium, it played VERY nicely, though it didn't fit the map of course.

Another thing that bothered me was the ending/intro, the silence is bad, so I'll just change it someday then. Final issue was that it was just a bit too loud, it was hard to hear the ingame sounds, so I'll turn down the volume for a bit, might also fix some occasional tearing that wasn't annoying but bad for the quality.

Looking at a map for this, it must be either a really large/epic one, or a small one like C.Brutail mentioned, I can imagine this on a map with a space setting.. For example look at DM-Hyperblast from Unreal Tournament, a map like that would be perfect for this track

Some people thought this might awesome to include officially in Xonotic, so I opened a poll for the community to judge about that.

Leave some feedback and vote for your choice in the poll Big Grin
[Image: 4766.png]
[My personal website: AquaNova ] - <> - [Ingame: <PsyX> :::: <-Archer-< :::: ]

I like it, though the quiet part does seem to get pretty quiet. But I'm listening through my TV, so I might not able to judge it accurately.

(05-21-2012, 11:55 PM)W4RP1G Wrote: I like it, though the quiet part does seem to get pretty quiet. But I'm listening through my TV, so I might not able to judge it accurately.

No problem, I'll listen closely and judge that then, if needed I will fix it, thanks for commenting Tongue

Awesome track again! I'd imagine some kind of a very fast, vertical 1v1 map for this.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

Good old style - I love this sound!
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

(05-22-2012, 10:18 AM)C.Brutail Wrote: Awesome track again! I'd imagine some kind of a very fast, vertical 1v1 map for this.

That's a nice idea, maybe someone will come up with it Tongue Maybe you again? xD

Anyway thanks for commenting!

(05-22-2012, 10:55 AM)unfa Wrote: Good old style - I love this sound!

Thanks unfa! Smile

Okay, this is how far things look: http://soundcloud.com/deshaadman/mental-...didate-for

This might be the final version, I'll take another good listen before judging that, and if I'm satisfied with the result, I'll submit the track Smile

I did a very simple intro, because I thought an extensive intro wouldn't fit the track, it would rather become something like [ x ] With the brackets being the intro/outro and the x being the song.. It would simply just not fit together Tongue

It does loop however, but it also has an ending, so basically it loops after silence, which isn't much of a big deal.

It's still a bit on the short side, but I think making it longer will also make it repetitive, and it may be hard to maintain the entire theme of the track then.

I also tweaked the entire mastering, making it sound more clear and less 1khz-ish. Also added a few new instruments, and a very neat variation in the mid-piece. Break remained unchanged, because a break should be a true break Smile Made the main instrument a bit harder though on request, might sound better now!

Take a look and judge the track for yourself (and for me of course Big Grin )

Thanks for listening!

EDIT: Okay, playtested it in DM-Solarium, it played VERY nicely, though it didn't fit the map of course.

Another thing that bothered me was the ending/intro, the silence is bad, so I'll just change it someday then. Final issue was that it was just a bit too loud, it was hard to hear the ingame sounds, so I'll turn down the volume for a bit, might also fix some occasional tearing that wasn't annoying but bad for the quality.

Looking at a map for this, it must be either a really large/epic one, or a small one like C.Brutail mentioned, I can imagine this on a map with a space setting.. For example look at DM-Hyperblast from Unreal Tournament, a map like that would be perfect for this track Big Grin

Awesome! Love it.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Very nice! Would fit very well as the menu sound for 0.7 imo Smile

(05-29-2012, 04:51 AM)asy7um Wrote: Very nice! Would fit very well as the menu sound for 0.7 imo Smile

I've thought about that, that's the other possibility Tongue

I might make 2 versions then, one that loops for ingame use, and one that goes like this, with an intro and ending.

With some slight support from the people that actually want this to be an official, it may even happen Wink

I'll start a poll on this thread if that's still possible!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Music New track (WIP) - Toxic Sludge (New name = Sulphur) Archer 12 12,840 10-26-2021, 12:58 PM
Last Post: Kotangens
Music Go Get 'em - Music Track by The Audio Monkey TheAudioMonkey 16 15,805 03-14-2017, 03:57 PM
Last Post: TheAudioMonkey
  Good track styles for Xon - example inside end user 0 3,166 10-03-2015, 09:02 PM
Last Post: end user
Music Track: Clubix unfa 2 4,288 09-12-2015, 05:42 PM
Last Post: MathCubes
Music Track: "Monstro" - minimalistic neurofunk unfa 3 5,023 03-18-2015, 10:48 AM
Last Post: The mysterious Mr. 4m
Music Track: Something for Everything Totally_Cool 4 6,780 02-15-2015, 12:46 PM
Last Post: unfa
  I actually finished a track for once... MrDetonia 3 5,339 02-11-2015, 05:56 PM
Last Post: MrDetonia
  Track: "Dark Space" - techno / house unfa 0 2,986 02-06-2015, 12:53 PM
Last Post: unfa
  Track: "Dave's Dog" unfa 6 7,293 12-07-2014, 04:56 AM
Last Post: Debugger
  Track "OpulenZ Prime" unfa 5 7,233 10-05-2014, 11:54 PM
Last Post: end user