Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In which people do not argue about ammo types

Too bad that you keep missing the message of my every single post, makes discussing with you kind of pointless.

now ... about 15 posts back you said something interesting about mappers being able to handle it ....

im a mapper ...

and ammo is a big change regarding map balance ....

Especially on space maps like newtonian nightmare ...
pretty much any change in the ammo ecosystem will break that map ...

also some of the main maps (like stormkeep) won't even compile anymore (on my computer at least) so moving ammo around is a very sensitive mapping issue ...

Indeed, and it would be interesting to get an official statement on that from the devs.

hutty, this belongs in the main thread. This thread is in the offtopic section.

Harmata, Wikipedia has a very specific purpose, it's not a forum for off-topic conversations. I don't know the whole story, but from what you're saying it appears to me that the admin was just doing their job. Here we have the Off-topic section (and Whackity Wicktown in case things go awry) so it made sense to move the unrelated content in here. Had this forum been reserved for on-topic discussion about Xonotic, I would have removed these posts from the public's view too. Although that's a difficult thing to do because it's hard to not seem biased in your selection of pruned posts. That's also why I summarized your counterpoints from the moved posts in the main thread, since the first pruned post was one of yours.

Quote:but from what you're saying it appears to me that the admin was just doing their job
Ummm, the only thing that i've said about Wikipedia is that he deleted my post that was about other admin's behavior, so you really made a hasty decision with that "he simply was doing his job". Actually he broke many Wikipedia rules by covering up criticism of admins and achieved very bad rep in uk-net, not without my help. Do you know that Wikipedia has the "there are no rules if it will benefit Wikipedia" rule? It was created specifically to promote open discussion about Wikipedia policies and stuff. Good thing, you know. Very open-source-ish.

See, you've made another hasty/based on little info decision, and it was my main and only concern in the first thread. I completely understand rules that would require moderators to move posts and threads to appropriate forums and sub-forums, but... only if such move is justified, and i don't think that your remarks about childish slap fight was a thoroughly thought out decision, and i've stated my concerns. In fact, that thread was full of hasty words. I'm glad you didn't delete these posts but moved them into separate thread, you also explained your actions and it is good moderating etiquette. Just like i've said earlier, people make mistakes, and discussing them is the first step to fixing them. Oh, and my words "i receive so much shit for every word" were really exaggerated unintentionally, nothing like that actually happened but Halogene's silly (and not funny, stop it man) behavior can get really aggravating, and some young people should read Wikipedia's articles about Argumentation and Justification and stop thinking that everyone wants to attack them.

(10-06-2012, 07:57 AM)Harmata Wrote: Oh, and my words "i receive so much shit for every word" were really exaggerated unintentionally, nothing like that actually happened but Halogene's silly (and not funny, stop it man) behavior can get really aggravating, and some young people should read Wikipedia's articles about Argumentation and Justification and stop thinking that everyone wants to attack them.

People that think everyone's attacking them should grow some humor, imho, rather than calling people's behavior silly Tongue

Edit: in case you are immune to humor, a serious remark (so there's a benefit in this post of mine also for you): telling people how to behave, what the mistakes are that they make and why they are wrong in what they say isn't exactly how you make friends in this forum, especially if you don't happen to have earned some respect or reputation by having a certain history of meaningful and reasonable posts in this forum.

Also Wikipedia's articles about Argumentation and Justifications may be brilliant, but you might also know what they say about arguing on the internet.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

(10-06-2012, 07:57 AM)Harmata Wrote:
Quote:but from what you're saying it appears to me that the admin was just doing their job
Ummm, the only thing that i've said about Wikipedia is that he deleted my post that was about other admin's behavior, so you really made a hasty decision with that "he simply was doing his job". Actually he broke many Wikipedia rules by covering up criticism of admins and achieved very bad rep in uk-net, not without my help. Do you know that Wikipedia has the "there are no rules if it will benefit Wikipedia" rule? It was created specifically to promote open discussion about Wikipedia policies and stuff. Good thing, you know. Very open-source-ish.

See, you've made another hasty/based on little info decision, and it was my main and only concern in the first thread.

I thought I had made it clear that I was not going to judge based on the little information I gathered from your post. I never said they were right, all I said is that I wasn't convinced they weren't. I was just using that example of yours to segue into my personal reasoning for this case on this forum.

Having read the details in this latest post, I now understand that it was indeed wrong of them to do what they did. I don't agree with them. Did that issue on Wikipedia get resolved?

(10-06-2012, 07:57 AM)Harmata Wrote: I completely understand rules that would require moderators to move posts and threads to appropriate forums and sub-forums, but... only if such move is justified, and i don't think that your remarks about childish slap fight was a thoroughly thought out decision, and i've stated my concerns. In fact, that thread was full of hasty words. I'm glad you didn't delete these posts but moved them into separate thread, you also explained your actions and it is good moderating etiquette. Just like i've said earlier, people make mistakes, and discussing them is the first step to fixing them. Oh, and my words "i receive so much shit for every word" were really exaggerated unintentionally, nothing like that actually happened but Halogene's silly (and not funny, stop it man) behavior can get really aggravating, and some young people should read Wikipedia's articles about Argumentation and Justification and stop thinking that everyone wants to attack them.

You're right. This might have been an overreaction from my part. This community (and Nexuiz') has been quite notorious for derailing threads and shifting the topic to personal matters in the middle of otherwise broader and more interesting discussions. I (perhaps wrongly) expected this to escalate and thought I would rather take action than let this continue.

I think Halogene is/was just trying to soothe the tone. I understand that you would take offense to this, but his intents are more friendly and playful than condescending.

I hope we can move on, and I'll keep this case in mind for my future moderation. Thank you, and sorry Smile

(10-06-2012, 01:18 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: I think Halogene is/was just trying to soothe the tone. I understand that you would take offense to this, but his intents are more friendly and playful than condescending.

I'm going to be more friendly and playful from now on again, I edited my post above while you were typing this and said all that I have to say to this entire thread. I also don't see any reason for you to apologize, MrBougo. I wish other forums had such patient and considerate moderators (not that I'd have triggered any moderation action in any forum so far).

...it's all in a day's work, for

[Image: mqdefault.jpg]
FORUM REPAIR MAN
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Quote:I think Halogene is/was just trying to soothe the tone.
Oh. Well, the last time he tried to soothe the tone in my thread it ended up in Whickity Town or whatever that place is called. If moderators will not judge threads by only such "funny" posts, then I'm okay with "soothing the tone".
Quote:I hope we can move on, and I'll keep this case in mind for my future moderation. Thank you, and sorry
I think we all got a bit wiser, thanks for letting that happen.
Quote:Did that issue on Wikipedia get resolved?
Still in process. I'm preparing an article for my new website were I'll be addressing problems with Ukrainian Wikipedia. Basically, all problems have their roots in Ukrainian society, which is not the most democratic, thanks to the totalitarian Soviet occupation. You can nuke admins by voting, but if people will not understand importance of free speech, it will simply be a rotation, not a change.

Okay I'm backing Mr. Bougo on this one. Both you guys should take this off-forum. And thanks Mr. Bougo for trying to deal with this in a mature way. Some people just don't seem to listen sheesh!

I don't think they should take anything anywhere, it seems they are done with this Smile

Hahaha, you people are late to the party.

Close the thread? Big Grin

Woah this thread is still going on!

Impressive.

Worth closing at this point, or moving to WW.

The only reason I see to close it is to stop people from bumping it by asking to close it and saying things like "this thread is still going on" while it totally isn't.

Agreed what a useless thread. Harmata does seem like a bit of a troll tbh too.

Oh yeah, flaming is another reason I'd want to close this thread.

Harmata has made his point clear and in my eye defended this troll accusation well enough that I don't agree with it. So please hold your thoughts for now.

(Disclaimer: I have short memory but, while I vaguely remember there were past events involving him, I don't think it's really relevant here.)

EDIT: Alright, closing this.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which Quake 3 Client should I use? Beagle 6 8,361 07-18-2016, 02:19 PM
Last Post: Beagle
  Which Mouse? Ch4mp 24 18,772 06-02-2016, 02:38 PM
Last Post: Beagle
Exclamation How NOT to get in contact with people on IRC Samual 14 13,245 02-15-2013, 08:15 AM
Last Post: chooksta
  Which headset? Maddin 19 18,455 07-03-2012, 02:53 PM
Last Post: aport
  HTC Evo 3D vs. Samsung Galaxy S 2 - which one? Minkovsky 8 8,471 08-07-2011, 07:56 AM
Last Post: edh
  To audio people: LMMS, Ardour3 or QTractor? Minkovsky 4 16,469 06-23-2011, 02:56 PM
Last Post: master[mind]
  Which antivirus? Minkovsky 17 13,068 06-15-2011, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Friskydingo
  Which OS do you prefer? od@r 93 84,216 03-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Last Post: JayWalker
  People, I do Let's Plays now! Minkovsky 0 2,739 12-26-2010, 04:49 AM
Last Post: Minkovsky