Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Client side forced models.

Where you can force playermodel, color and brightskin.

Agree. This way, I would be able to force a model with 100% brightskin and not get on anyone's nerves. I like how warsow does it. You can force team settings/color, and enemy settings/color.

There is already something like this but I believe it doesn't work because of the multiple model format types. Don't remember exactly what the problem was.

i am 100% sure this will never happen :/
#doomsquirrels

(05-02-2010, 06:44 AM)thyr4nedsq Wrote: i am 100% sure this will never happen :/

That's the spirit!

Yeah, this will never happen. plz stfu gtfo lol.

i know that was everything else than a optimistic comment and i admit, not helpful at all but i gotta say that i have my doubts regarding the competition stuff for xonotic. yes, my post was obviously useless and it didnt represent the way i think of xonotic at all and i apologize. anyway, i organized 1on1 cups for nexuiz and tried to give a helping hand and i _will_ do in the future, so i srsly only have to blame myself for that useless post imo, not for what i am doing.
to get back to the topic, of course i'd f1 any common competition feature, like i said several times.

oh and Roanoke: i didnt flame or abuse anyone so if you cant stand my words, why dont you just gtfo yourself? thanks for your wise words anyway....
#doomsquirrels

Problem is that you'd have to rewrite a lot of code due to moving player entity handling to CSQC (from engine/SSQC). That is a whole lot of work. But once this is done, adding such a feature would be more or less easy.

I think somewhere in the activity section of the development tracker I saw the word (csqc networked models or something like this) pop up, but no clue whether this is actually being worked on.

green marine is correct. Parasiti and I are working on csqc networked players

(05-04-2010, 04:41 PM)thyr4nedsq Wrote: oh and Roanoke: i didnt flame or abuse anyone so if you cant stand my words, why dont you just gtfo yourself? thanks for your wise words anyway....

My intent was not to flame/abuse someone, it was to reflect the attitude apparent from the post. Also, I don't write in text speak so the irony should have been apparent.

Quote:green marine is correct. Parasiti and I are working on csqc networked players.
What does this mean, besides client side player models?

It means that movement is predicted by the client so there is lag. It also hopefully means that there is no tele or jumppad lag with high ping. Less server work also.

Has there been some change that I've missed?

Whenever I test my maps in Nexuiz, I use forced models all the time. A full list of relevant cvars can be found here.

For fullbright playermodels, I think "g_fullbrightplayers 1" should do the trick.

Will this no longer work in Xonotic?
Humans... Dodgy

"There is no problem that cannot be solved by a judicious application of carnivorous dinosaurs." -JayIsGames.com

Those are server cvars, not client.

Hmmm. So, he wants to... let individual clients decide what models to display? (i.e on my screen, the blue team is all Carnis but on yours they are all Lurks?) If not, can you be more specific about what you are trying to do?

The only way I know of to force certain player models is server-side. However, when I playtest my maps, I am not running a public server. So technically isn't that client-side?*

*I have only a partial idea of what I am talking about here; I nearly failed the server-side/client-side unit in my Comp Sci class.
Humans... Dodgy

"There is no problem that cannot be solved by a judicious application of carnivorous dinosaurs." -JayIsGames.com

Just because you aren't running a public server doesn't mean you are using a server. I'm assuming you are playing a map on your computer without joining a multiplayer game. That means you created your own server. So basically with client side models it means that I can display all marines if I want instead of seeing all the different playermodels.

Ah. So you ARE trying to let each player choose what models they see. I understand now.

I honestly don't know if that's even possible with the current game and server architecture; I would imagine that it would require a large-scale change to the game code, but I could be wrong.

However, I do agree that it would be a nice feature.
Humans... Dodgy

The large-scale change to game code is what I mentioned above that parasti and I are working on.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Allow models and sprites together Ashurion-Neonix 0 443 05-04-2023, 03:47 PM
Last Post: Ashurion-Neonix
  [SUGGESTION] Forced teams Ajax_47 1 2,426 06-03-2016, 11:06 AM
Last Post: It'sMe
  [SUGGESTION] New Player Models and Sizes Beagle 8 7,277 11-15-2015, 02:45 PM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  [SUGGESTION] Weapon models and vehicle cockpit FOV independant from game FOV Lee_Stricklin 2 4,838 07-12-2012, 05:02 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] Game-models to try for? MajorYokoyurik0 28 22,160 07-01-2012, 10:45 AM
Last Post: K__
  [SUGGESTION] Support for Quake 3 models Icyton 10 14,636 12-22-2011, 01:24 PM
Last Post: pontinius
  [SUGGESTION] To put or not put in the new weapon models, that is the question? Squigger 15 13,778 07-02-2011, 05:20 AM
Last Post: tZork
  [SUGGESTION] Player models Mirio 11 12,062 09-07-2010, 07:58 AM
Last Post: ai
  [SUGGESTION] Weapon models too big vaan 3 5,075 04-02-2010, 10:51 PM
Last Post: DiaboliK
  [SUGGESTION] Pre-determined Player models based on Map r0tt 8 8,719 04-02-2010, 12:26 PM
Last Post: Sepelio