Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ex textures and gpl ...... the post that will probably make everyone hate me ....

ex texture set doesn't appear to be gpl ...
(the rusty textures used in g-23 ... and other maps people love)

http://www.evillair.net/v2/index.php?opt...&Itemid=43

... when you hit download ... you get to this ...

http://www.evillair.net/v2/index.php?opt...03c6595043

unless however we got permission from the author to release these as gpl at some point ...
which I sure hope we did

If he released them as gpl, can he still release them with a different license on his homepage?

I think he meant to release that particular set as GPL, but this message is generated by his CMS for every download, since this seems to be his main license.
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

actually ... I did find that he lists himself as a nexuiz textures artist

http://www.evillair.net/v2/index.php?opt...&Itemid=57

Well, they're probably made for Nexuiz and have just followed along, the question is if Nexuiz got some special permissions and if they are still allowed in Xonotic.

Are there any official maps using these textures?

Let's wait for a developer to respond to this thread.

I think it would have been even better to ask this question directly to for example divVerrent or Merlijn by PM or on IRC. There's not much us regular users can say about this anyway.
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

He gave us a license to the textures under GPL, and that also means anyone getting them from Xonotic has them under GPL too.

However, this only applies to the sets that are in Xonotic or Nexuiz. Other evillair sets are not affected by this.

The downloads on his own site differ in some ways (e.g. normalmap encoding), and are NOT under the GPL.

And yes, as copyright holder he can release them as GPL on one place (us) and as CC on another place (his website). He even could also license them to some third party under the Microsoft EULA, if he wants to Wink He would only be barred from this if he did an exclusive license, which he didn't (you only do that upon request of the licensee, and we asked him after he already released it under CC, so even if we had asked for an exclusive license - but why should we - it'd have been too late).
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

Well, that cleared it up then. Thanks divVerrent!

Ok ... thanks ... I was worried for a moment there ... especially since the art roadmap listed the original author of the exx texture set as unsure

http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/xonotic/...rt_Roadmap

That should be updated then, I suppose.

Good news hutty, we still like you Tongue

(10-31-2012, 08:53 AM)machine! Wrote: Well, they're probably made for Nexuiz and have just followed along, the question is if Nexuiz got some special permissions and if they are still allowed in Xonotic.

wrong. e1-9 are made for quake 3 and ex was made for q4

(10-31-2012, 08:53 AM)machine! Wrote: Are there any official maps using these textures?

ex is the only used set and yes textures of this set are use on multiple maps (because its the best in xonotic (in MY opinion))
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

(10-31-2012, 08:53 AM)machine! Wrote: Well, they're probably made for Nexuiz and have just followed along, the question is if Nexuiz got some special permissions and if they are still allowed in Xonotic.

You can't license something under the GPL for just one project. If Nexuiz has the files licensed under GPL, anyone can take that from Nexuiz and use it for their own GPL project. Which is what we did.

I'm not too sure about revoking licenses, as far as I know it can't be done either. So once it's out there released under GPL in one project, it can be reused.

(10-31-2012, 01:27 PM)Cortez666 Wrote: ex is the only used set and yes textures of this set are use on multiple maps (because its the best in xonotic (in MY opinion))

its not the "only" set used ... many/most maps have bits or trak5x in them ... running man gets its crete from narmorx ... lightspeed uses facility ... drain uses phillipk1x

stormkeep and xoylent are mostly their own textures ...

although ... it is used alot (glowplant, afterslime, g-23, any map with rust in it ....)

... many maps also mix trak5x with exx ... they work well together ,,,

(10-31-2012, 01:38 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote:

You can't license something under the GPL for just one project. If Nexuiz has the files licensed under GPL, anyone can take that from Nexuiz and use it for their own GPL project. Which is what we did.

Actually, you "sort of" can. We received the eX textures in a form modified for use with Nexuiz (and Xonotic). Only this version, which was adapted for the DarkPlaces engine, is usable under the GPL. The original version, made for the idTech 4 engines, is not usable under the GPL.

However, nothing stops you from taking the DarkPlaces-adapted version, and porting it back to idTech 4, to get a GPL compatible idTech 4 version of the textures. But if you want that, just ask evillair, he'll allow you (and anyone else) to use his idTech 4 package under the GPL for sure if you ask nicely.

Quote:I'm not too sure about revoking licenses, as far as I know it can't be done either. So once it's out there released under GPL in one project, it can be reused.

In Germany you can revoke licenses, but you will then have to compensate the licensee for damages if this causes any. In case of a license like the GPL, this would simply be too expensive to be realistically doable, unless you only target a single user maybe... and even then it's quite stupid.

I can revoke your license to use Xonotic. Yes, that is possible - and it won't even cause you any damages I will have to compensate. But so? You just will download Xonotic again (or get it again from a friend on DVD, whatever), and by the GPL get a new, valid, license. Then I can revoke it again, and so on... but as you see, it'd be quite pointless. This revocation is only really useful when there is no automatic new license on redistribution, like the GPL provides. The GPL however allows for another kind of revocation specifically because of a license violation (paragraph 8 of the GPL), and this one then is actually permanent.

Or, I could revoke it from EVERYONE. Then, however, there sure will be some damages to compensate... and even then, EVEN if you get a GPL work illegally, by the GPL you automatically get a valid GPL license the moment you receive the work - EVEN if the guy who gave it to you had no valid license! See paragraph 10 of the GPL3 for this ("Automatic Licensing of Downstream Recipients").
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

lol So for example you can basically revoke the GPL on hutty's copy of Xonotic, but he can then get it from me and have another copy of Xonotic with a valid GPL on it?
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

(11-06-2012, 04:38 AM)divVerent Wrote:
(10-31-2012, 01:38 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: You can't license something under the GPL for just one project. If Nexuiz has the files licensed under GPL, anyone can take that from Nexuiz and use it for their own GPL project. Which is what we did.

Actually, you "sort of" can. We received the eX textures in a form modified for use with Nexuiz (and Xonotic). Only this version, which was adapted for the DarkPlaces engine, is usable under the GPL. The original version, made for the idTech 4 engines, is not usable under the GPL.

However, nothing stops you from taking the DarkPlaces-adapted version, and porting it back to idTech 4, to get a GPL compatible idTech 4 version of the textures. But if you want that, just ask evillair, he'll allow you (and anyone else) to use his idTech 4 package under the GPL for sure if you ask nicely.

That's how I understood it, sorry if that wasn't clear.

(11-06-2012, 04:38 AM)divVerent Wrote:
Quote:I'm not too sure about revoking licenses, as far as I know it can't be done either. So once it's out there released under GPL in one project, it can be reused.

In Germany you can revoke licenses, but you will then have to compensate the licensee for damages if this causes any. In case of a license like the GPL, this would simply be too expensive to be realistically doable, unless you only target a single user maybe... and even then it's quite stupid.

I can revoke your license to use Xonotic. Yes, that is possible - and it won't even cause you any damages I will have to compensate. But so? You just will download Xonotic again (or get it again from a friend on DVD, whatever), and by the GPL get a new, valid, license. Then I can revoke it again, and so on... but as you see, it'd be quite pointless. This revocation is only really useful when there is no automatic new license on redistribution, like the GPL provides. The GPL however allows for another kind of revocation specifically because of a license violation (paragraph 8 of the GPL), and this one then is actually permanent.

Or, I could revoke it from EVERYONE. Then, however, there sure will be some damages to compensate... and even then, EVEN if you get a GPL work illegally, by the GPL you automatically get a valid GPL license the moment you receive the work - EVEN if the guy who gave it to you had no valid license! See paragraph 10 of the GPL3 for this ("Automatic Licensing of Downstream Recipients").

That's reassuring, excellent.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SOLVED] Correct way to make entity with opacity depending on distance to player Penguinum-tea 2 3,794 04-03-2015, 02:18 PM
Last Post: Penguinum-tea
  [Most probably rejected] DM 1on1 map: Confusor CuBe0wL 1 2,959 09-12-2013, 02:47 AM
Last Post: Mirio
  Question and Rant on the LG and MG changes. GegoXAREN 5 5,586 11-26-2012, 04:16 PM
Last Post: hutty
  How to make new weapons? Kris 2 4,743 09-30-2012, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  Improving Xonotic packaging and compression to make the download smaller edh 19 24,951 08-25-2012, 04:47 PM
Last Post: edh
  netradiant textures not loading tangerian 1 4,003 06-05-2012, 01:34 AM
Last Post: PinkRobot
Exclamation Buggy textures in need of fixing! MirceaKitsune 22 20,547 07-14-2011, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Minkovsky
  Sampling Geometry for Textures master[mind] 1 3,630 07-05-2011, 05:55 AM
Last Post: unfa
  A line in this topic will probably confuse you Lee_Stricklin 7 7,277 01-05-2011, 08:41 AM
Last Post: CuBe0wL
  Xonotic Installer - I'll make. Minkovsky 20 22,956 11-28-2010, 01:34 AM
Last Post: -z-