Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
commercials FPS and xonotic

Hi all Smile

First, please excuse my english.

I am asking myself a stupid quetion. Wink

Do you think that xonotic equal recent commercial First person shooters like battlefield 4 ,call of duty ghosts and titanfalll ?

If the answer is no , do you think that one day , it will be right?

Let me fix that for you

When does recent commercial proprietary FPS games like Battlefield X, Call of Duty Y or equally bad game Z equal in awesomeness to Xonotic?

lol you are right

but it is equally right that the single-player campaign of call of has good graphics effects

(04-18-2014, 07:16 AM)helloitsme Wrote: but it is equally right that the single-player campaign of call of has good graphics effects
Real life has much better graphics than Gay on Duty, all they do in their studio is trace and rotoscope real life objects, models and landscapes. I don't get it why people don't just play real life instead.

(04-18-2014, 07:59 AM)Smilecythe Wrote:
(04-18-2014, 07:16 AM)helloitsme Wrote: but it is equally right that the single-player campaign of call of has good graphics effects
Real life has much better graphics than Gay on Duty, all they do in their studio is trace and rotoscope real life objects, models and landscapes. I don't get it why people don't just play real life instead.

In my opinion ,this is because people cant frag in real life

(04-18-2014, 08:48 AM)helloitsme Wrote: In my opinion ,this is because people cant frag in real life

Well, you can play paintball in real life Wink

That's so cute and naive at the sime time that I really like it. We do need players like you, helloitsme in Xonotic! High-five! Why coping real life content when we can create something unique and new? That is what Xonotic might be about. Also: I never tried fragging in real life and I don't recommend it to anyone. 10/10.

Personally, I think Xonotic is simply more "Fun" than recent commercial FPS games.

The modern FPS genre is weighed down with weapon unlocks, painfully long downtime in-between kills and generally very horizontal level design.

I'd much rather play Xon than any of the 3 games you mentioned, and that to me is a testament that Xon, or arena shooters/even instagib do have a future.
Of course, as Xonotic is an open source game, it'll remain in obscurity until some more "mainstream" media picks up on it.

I wouldn't have known Titanfall existed if it weren't for the persistent, massive marketing campaign they had for that game, same can be said of most AAA games.
I generally try to play all the "big" games which come out, but even as a new player to Xonotic, it's the game I feel most attached to, since it's often guaranteed fun.

Not to mention Xonotic is a multi-OS game, less than a 1gb download, requires no account creation, and can be played on low-spec PCs whilst also having some impressive features for higher-end PCs. Best of all? Open source and mod-able. Communities can do amazing things given the right tools.

There's a misconception that there's no "demand" for games like Xonotic/Arena FPS, but there can't be a demand for something only niche communities have any knowledge of.
[signature.png]

Feel free to throw some millions at Xonotic. Wink

well, I could give it one of these:

[Image: Zimbabwe-One-Hundred-Tril-001.jpg]
[signature.png]

[Image: imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Ftimetothink.f...CGIQrQMwAQ]

french money Wink

i try again :
http://timetothink.fr/wp-content/uploads...12/500.jpg

(04-18-2014, 07:59 AM)Smilecythe Wrote:
There is no respawn. If you don't believe thats, ask the 17 millions that dies in WW1, and over 50 millions that died in WW and many other others afterwards. Would you like to join them?
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

(04-20-2014, 12:18 AM)aa Wrote: There is no respawn. If you don't believe thats, ask the 17 millions that dies in WW1, and over 50 millions that died in WW and many other others afterwards. Would you like to join them?
Sure, I could do that. It's a realistic scenario, in fact.. I'll go and raid a sand igloo village in Iraq right now! But I can't hop in a star ship and blast my way through galaxies, banging stars numb with pink lasers and gib aliens into pieces with an anti-matter cannon in each hand, after proposing my loyalty and love to an intergalactic princess in Klingon language.. is the point where I'm getting at. You got a vast selection of games with a respawn service, why is the most boring ones the most popular ones?

Advertisement, big names, big companies, etc... Consumer society....

Btw, tastes differ.
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

It doesn't really compare. It's a whole different kind of FPS... namely, an arena FPS.

That said, I prefer Battlefield-style gameplay so I'd be willing to pay more for that kind of thing. I also never really had a problem with Call of Duty. It's not very tactical, and it is very 'horizontal' as people mentioned. Yet MinstaGib is actually much more reflexes based than the Modern Warfare series ever was, and the people who criticise CoD tend to be massive hypocrites in that regard.

Overall, I think that Xonotic can compete with current AAA shooter games. The question lies in whether the market wants a Quake-like arena shooter. The answer is probably "no".

the premise of the whole thread is a bit stupid, it's like saying "do you think vegetables will ever equal fruits? and if so, when?" they aren't comparable. Modern military FPS =/= xonotic.

Xonotic, as my friend Evropi said, CAN compete with CoD/Battlefield-type games - but they would be in completely different genres, so the competition would not be to be "equal", rather for sales or mainstream attention. It would be like LoL "competing" with TF2 for people's attention, as opposed to dota competing with LoL, which would be a conflict within the same genre.

Evropi Wrote:Overall, I think that Xonotic can compete with current AAA shooter games. The question lies in whether the market wants a Quake-like arena shooter. The answer is probably "no".

then we make them realize they want it, through marketing/hype/people talking Big Grin it's actually an optimal time for arena shooters to resurge in certain markets - if they grew in a certain way there would be no way the genre wouldn't be even bigger than MOBA's right now! But something has to come along and lead us there, and it's not going to be one of the Quake-based ones, not anymore (see: warsow/quakelive/reflex/reborn/cpma all that, and i'm tempted to say xonotic, but we'll see, won't we). The market is just made up of tons and tons of people like you and me with constantly fluctuating attention spans, it's not a single entity which you can ask, "DO YOU LIKE ARENA SHOOTERS YES OR NO" Tongue We'll get there.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FPS Showdown - Go submit your best frags! Smilecythe 4 4,396 02-19-2017, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Antares*
  [SOLVED] Disabling gore MASSIVELY increases Fps! rocknroll237 10 9,275 09-17-2011, 11:50 PM
Last Post: Fireball
  Bad fps in latest git? noobermin 20 19,556 06-30-2011, 01:12 PM
Last Post: Minkovsky
  Do you REALLY need over 9000 FPS to play the game? Minkovsky 23 36,693 04-09-2011, 02:01 PM
Last Post: Inso