Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] where are my downloaded map when joining a server?

Hi,
Whenever I try to join a server I have to download a queue of files (I believe they are maps and models), and my Xonotic folder size is increasing over time. I'd like to know where are my downloaded files, and why I can't see any new maps when I want to setup my own match aginst bots.

(07-10-2014, 11:36 PM)zwz Wrote: Hi,
Whenever I try to join a server I have to download a queue of files (I believe they are maps and models), and my Xonotic folder size is increasing over time. I'd like to know where are my downloaded files, and why I can't see any new maps when I want to setup my own match aginst bots.

WIndows

c:\users\your_name\saved games\.xonotic\data\dlcache

Linux

/home/yourname/.xonotic/data/dlcache.

If you copy them to .xonotic/data then you can use the Create Game to play each map

if not in game console type in maps and then map map_name to make it play.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

I think it's preferable to use the chmap command instead of the map command.

You can also type chmap, followed by a space, then press tab. This will show you a list of map names you can use.

The game console can be reached by pressing shift escape.

Than you for the reply. I found this a strange thing: each time I download a map, I have to copy it to .xonotic/data, and keep the original copy, in order to join the already existing multiplayer server and to be able to set up my own server, which takes twice as much space.

Can I:
1) Copy the downloaded map to .xonotic/data, and delete the original file?
2) Or redirect the /home/yourname/.xonotic/data/dlcache to xonotic/data, So I don't need to copy it?

Thanks

I think you can just move it to .xonotic/data, you won't have to re-download the map when connecting to the server if it is in your .xonotic/data folder (provided it's the same version).
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

(07-14-2014, 10:29 AM)zwz Wrote: Than you for the reply. I found this a strange thing: each time I download a map, I have to copy it to .xonotic/data, and keep the original copy, in order to join the already existing multiplayer server and to be able to set up my own server, which takes twice as much space.

Can I:
1) Copy the downloaded map to .xonotic/data, and delete the original file?
2) Or redirect the /home/yourname/.xonotic/data/dlcache to xonotic/data, So I don't need to copy it?

Thanks

Hmm not sure I think it can just be in data like for the servers. I guess you could make a symlink to it?
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

Yeah, you don't have to copy it.

And as end user suggests, in the kind of situation in *NIX where you need the same file in two places, symlinks are the answer. But you really don't need that here.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NEED HELP] Setup Dedicated Server to DL from Map Server mrhip 1 452 10-16-2023, 06:22 AM
Last Post: Freddy
  [NEED HELP] Change mapinfo to make a CTF map a CTS map. Bhagwa-Yodhak-69 3 2,307 09-08-2020, 06:03 AM
Last Post: _para
  [SOLVED] Xonotic load downloaded maps Bla1 3 4,911 10-01-2017, 06:11 PM
Last Post: Mirio
  [NEED HELP] Server Not Showing Up on Server Browser Antares* 5 4,264 05-21-2017, 04:46 PM
Last Post: martin-t
  [SOLVED] Problem with Invisible wall in Downloaded map Spiderhex 2 4,484 01-18-2014, 11:24 PM
Last Post: Spiderhex
  [NEEDS INFO] cant download map, black map area jaybates86 5 6,883 10-08-2013, 06:09 AM
Last Post: Halogene
Exclamation [BUG] Game crashes after joining server on AMD BULLDOZER CPU Droid 18 19,665 09-28-2012, 09:11 AM
Last Post: Droid
  [SOLVED] Xonotic crashes upon joining server wormed 10 12,313 03-10-2012, 06:08 PM
Last Post: edh