Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] Create a server on DigitalOcean

Thumbs Up 
Hello, I have a droplet on DigitalOcean and I want to know if it's possible to creare a Xonotic server there, and what are the steps to do that.

I tried running the server_linux.sh script, I configured the server.cfg file and it appears to be working, but when I try to connect from my client, I can't find my server.

Does anyone have a server running on DigitalOcean or any other VPS?

(09-12-2014, 11:05 AM)CJ25 Wrote: Hello, I have a droplet on DigitalOcean and I want to know if it's possible to creare a Xonotic server there, and what are the steps to do that.

I tried running the server_linux.sh script, I configured the server.cfg file and it appears to be working, but when I try to connect from my client, I can't find my server.

Does anyone have a server running on DigitalOcean or any other VPS?

Did you set ?

sv_public 1

What port did you select?

port 27000

Did you try to connect manually by typing in the IP and port into the Address field in the game?

Any errors in console when you start the server?
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

(09-12-2014, 01:31 PM)end user Wrote: Did you set ?

sv_public 1

What port did you select?

port 27000

Did you try to connect manually by typing in the IP and port into the Address field in the game?

Any errors in console when you start the server?

Yes, I set `sv_public 1` on server.cfg file, by default the port is 27000.
I see I have to copy de server.cfg file to data/ directory in order to make it work, I just did that and my Server is up un running now. Big Grin

Now I have to start digging on the server.cfg file to see what other things I can do Smile
(for example to set a password to connect and other stuff)

Passworded servers don't exist, sorry!

Well if you have a firewall on the vps I guess you could allow only certain IP's to access the port. Wonder if there are any automated scripts where you enter a password and the script modifies the firewall rules to allow the IP from where the password is sent.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

Talked to Melano and he says he can mplement an allowed IP feature controlled by rcon. Will repost then ready.

Hm. Unless it's on the engine or IP stack level, I doubt it will work. As far as I know, connections have to be fully established before QC can access the client's info.

EDIT: I can't find traces of it, but I'm pretty sure I've discussed or seen a discussion with engine devs related to this. Anyway, can Melanosuchus discuss this in public perhaps, so we can see and discuss the idea before the implementation?

(09-14-2014, 02:27 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Hm. Unless it's on the engine or IP stack level, I doubt it will work. As far as I know, connections have to be fully established before QC can access the client's info.

EDIT: I can't find traces of it, but I'm pretty sure I've discussed or seen a discussion with engine devs related to this. Anyway, can Melanosuchus discuss this in public perhaps, so we can see and discuss the idea before the implementation?

its part of the ESK modpack https://github.com/mbasaglia/esk-modpack..._whitelist

I'll have to set up a test server tomorrow to mess around too late now to do it.

Hm. I wouldn't expect much privacy from a QC-based whitelist then, because of the window of time between connection and kick.

A protection on the server should rather be a mechanism that disallows connection, rather than allowing it and only kicking after the client has fully connected to the server.

If you're going to use this whitelist, I suggest you set sv_public to -1 when everyone's on the server.

EDIT: Is there any reason this modpack is coded in parallel to "official" development without any communication between the two? Do the developers feel that their changes can't get into our master branch? I think this should be discussed.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I can't see my listen server on server list fnmain 1 661 10-07-2023, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Grimnack
  Server not visible on the server browser for others or me DankoLord 1 1,806 02-21-2023, 08:02 PM
Last Post: ballerburg9005
  BaI server | South American Xonotic server (located in Chile) z411 0 2,739 01-02-2022, 11:36 PM
Last Post: z411
  Full server tutorial start-2-finish with maps & config from live server xonotic.us.to ballerburg9005 0 7,962 09-03-2021, 10:21 AM
Question [NEED HELP] Server uses 40% CPU whereas Nexuiz server runs with max 10% e-pig 6 4,959 08-19-2020, 10:17 PM
  [SOLVED] I can't create my server. Kotangens 10 5,776 07-22-2020, 04:42 AM
Last Post: Kotangens
  [NEED HELP] Server dont appear in server browser abslimit 0 2,574 03-15-2020, 04:13 AM
Last Post: abslimit
  How to change server cfg on modified server veecho 4 4,302 04-24-2019, 08:15 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [NEED HELP] Xonotic Server crashes TF2 server Professor 2 2,940 02-20-2018, 07:50 PM
Last Post: Professor
  0.6.0 Server not shown in server browser -maniac|Su- 2 3,734 06-04-2015, 10:48 AM
Last Post: -maniac|Su-