Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[NEED HELP] Server uses 40% CPU whereas Nexuiz server runs with max 10%

Question 
Hello!
I am currently running a nexuiz server on my raspberry pi 3 which uses at most 10% CPU.
Now I would like to switch to a xonotic server, so I cloned it from github, I ran ./all update -l best, compiled it with ./all compile -r dedicated and now I run it with ./all run dedicated.
Everything seems to work fine, the only problem is that the server uses 40% of my CPU although it's only me vs a bot.

So my question is, did I do something wrong or is there something I can do to decrease the CPU usage?

Have you tried it without bots and monitored the CPU?

Right now if I run the server, no bots no players on it, it uses 35 to 50% of my CPU.
No clue what I am doing wrong...
And as I said, the nexuiz server with 10 bots on it never used more then 10 or maybe 15% of my CPU...
edit: was mistaken here it's a bit more then 10 to 15% with 10  bots but still way better then the xonotic server...

Are you using the 0.8.2 release, or are you running one of the autobuilds?

0.8.2 has known CPU speed issues in certain cases, particularly with bots.

In the Xonotic directory, go into misc/tools/rsync-updater/ and run ./update-to-autobuild.sh to update the install to the latest autobuild version.

There's also a ./update-to-release.sh which will bring you back to 0.8.2 if you run it now, or to whatever the latest release version (eg: if 0.8.3 got released, you could run the sdcript and it'd get you 0.8.3).
[Image: 21975.jpg]

Quote:“To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem.” - Douglas Adams

tested both, doesn't change anything. uses 40% CPU on both...
but thanks for showing me those scripts, didn't know they exist.

Anymore ideas?
Would love to host a xonotic server but right now it seems impossible...

I have the exact same issue on my Android Box (running LibreELEC). It even has the same processor as some Rasperry Pi 3 do (Cortex A53).
CPU usage idle is 25%, when a player connects it is 50%. I didn't test more.

There are a lot of games that raise just exactly the same performance demands because they essentially do the same thing, like Nexuiz, Openarena / Quake 3, with high snap rate etc.

They never would require more than 10-20% CPU on such a powerful processor as the Cortex A53, and that is when they are loaded with 20 players or more. This processor is probably 10-20 times more powerful than the best servers in existence at the time Quake 3 was released. It is total overkill for a server that basically just processes a couple of player position updates over network.

I was already told in IRC that this high CPU demand is normal, with top notch Xeons being sometimes maxed out by full Xonotic dedicated servers.
But I don't see how this is not a bug. What is Xonotic doing that other similar games don't? How could it possibly require that much CPU? Is it using neural networks for anti-lag calculations? Can it be disabled?
Visit our clan website: http://extreme.voltage.nz/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Variables for max health + all weapons Duckman 2 2,828 05-21-2020, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Duckman
  Force Max Weapons 3agle427 1 2,019 12-29-2018, 09:41 AM
Last Post: 3agle427
  Are 9 maps the max number that shows end user 1 2,759 05-03-2013, 04:17 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SOLVED] Server runs, but not right RELAX 5 4,597 08-06-2012, 03:54 AM
  How to add 5,10,15,20,25,30 kills sounds like in Nexuiz? neXus 12 7,223 05-03-2012, 02:27 AM