Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Status of Xonotic?

I'm not against players putting artificial restrictions on how they want to play the game but I'm against any kind of forced restrictions. After all, that means someone would just mod those restrictions out.

(10-11-2017, 05:59 PM)Lyberta Wrote: I'm not against players putting artificial restrictions on how they want to play the game but I'm against any kind of forced restrictions. After all, that means someone would just mod those restrictions out.

UT2004 was just an example. No restrictions should be added but why game client itself does not assists in teams management / tournament making? In my opinion it should because it is 2017 and people become lazier  monkey besides it would be much more convenient for newcomers to just click "FIND TEAM" and then "JOIN TEAM" or "FIND TOURNAMENTS" and "ADD ME TO THIS TOURNAMENT".

This are so simple and obvious things from the user experience perspective so I just scratching my head why not are they incorporated anywhere. In best case we have some poor matchmaking...

Well, servers runs different configs and there are very few people who are online at the same time so there is almost no one to match with.

(10-12-2017, 01:37 PM)Lyberta Wrote: Well, servers runs different configs and there are very few people who are online at the same time so there is almost no one to match with.

That is the point, game should also assist players in finding others. Instead of going straight  into the game/ launching some game launcher you have to open IRC/<smth other> first and find if you can play with smb. Instead of joining some of the available tournaments you have to dig some forums to find out them. It takes some time and annoying.

(10-12-2017, 06:20 AM)Rvach Wrote:
(10-11-2017, 05:59 PM)Lyberta Wrote: I'm not against players putting artificial restrictions on how they want to play the game but I'm against any kind of forced restrictions. After all, that means someone would just mod those restrictions out.

UT2004 was just an example. No restrictions should be added but why game client itself does not assists in teams management / tournament making? In my opinion it should because it is 2017 and people become lazier  monkey besides it would be much more convenient for newcomers to just click "FIND TEAM" and then "JOIN TEAM" or "FIND TOURNAMENTS" and "ADD ME TO THIS TOURNAMENT".

This are so simple and obvious things from the user experience perspective so I just scratching my head why not are they incorporated anywhere. In best case we have some poor matchmaking...
Assuming you haven't scrapped your in-game currency idea. Suppose that got incorporated and we have xonocoins or whatever to buy players, etc.
Why would I buy a player for a team game when I can just grab a friend for free?
Unless you made it a mandatory interaction to form a team.

Why would we do any of this when we can press spacebar to auto-join a team?
Unless you blocked it or removed that functionality.

Quote:That is the point, game should also assist players in finding others. Instead of going straight  into the game/ launching some game launcher you have to open IRC/<smth other> first and find if you can play with smb. Instead of joining some of the available tournaments you have to dig some forums to find out them. It takes some time and annoying.
That sounds exactly like matchmaking which most modern games will do. The thing is that it requires a large population of players otherwise you would be stuck in queue for a long time (this vs getting 2-3 of your friends to accompany you on a server of your own choice, from your chat client of choice). The developers are/were holding the ethos to finish development before publishing it and advertising. The second, maybe optional thing is not to matchmake such that someone will get stomped all the time, but this also might become an ethical thing where the matchmaking system gives gambling highs of overwhelming victory among unspectacular games, or crushing losses.

You don't need to dig through the forums for tournaments. They're largely one time events and are stickied at the front page.
Xonotic exists for a long time and low player count is the proof that nobody wants to play Xonotic since it is a bad game by default.
- Lyberta, 2017

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dev should make a status post every week. end user 10 4,947 09-08-2014, 05:35 PM
Last Post: Ari