Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where can I download the binary file of GMQCC compiler?

I am trying to download the binary file of GMQCC compiler, that was used to develop the XONOTIC game, but I don't find this download.
Does it exist?

Hi, you can compile it from source.

(04-14-2018, 09:04 AM)Sl@va Wrote: Hi, you can compile it from source.

How and why?

Why there is no ready binary file for download?

Why do I must compile?

I already found "fteqcc.exe" download unintentionally, but intentionally I don't find "gmqcc.exe".

This is weird.

To be honest, ready binary is weird thing when sources are available. Cause binary should be prepaired for each platform (linux amd64, linux x86, linux arm, windows x86, windows amd64, freebsd x86, freebsd amd64, etc) . Also, precompilled binary requires some trust. Cause you have to trust someone who compiled it.

(04-14-2018, 05:24 AM)Xonotics Wrote: I am trying to download the binary file of GMQCC compiler, that was used to develop the XONOTIC game, but I don't find this download.
Does it exist?

(04-14-2018, 09:11 AM)Xonotics Wrote:

How and why?

Why there is no ready binary file for download?

Why do I must compile?

I already found "fteqcc.exe" download unintentionally, but intentionally I don't find "gmqcc.exe".

This is weird.

(04-14-2018, 09:25 AM)Sl@va Wrote: To be honest, ready binary is weird thing when sources are available. Cause binary should be prepaired for each platform (linux amd64, linux x86, linux arm, windows x86, windows amd64, freebsd x86, freebsd amd64, etc) . Also, precompilled binary requires some trust. Cause you have to trust someone who compiled it.
Gmqcc is the first thing I see that has only source code without precompiled binary files.

Even with all the reasons why precompiled binary files are bad while you have their source code, then tell me why the developers of fteqcc compiler decided to upload precompiled binary files of fteqcc and why should I trust the developers at all?

Dosbox also has source code available for download and binary code available for download too. Why? You said that binary code is not needed, then why it is still downloadable?

Another one thing, "gmqcc.exe" cannot be downloaded directly, because of what you said, but "Xonotic.exe" and more executables related to 64 bit operating system and SDL version can be downloaded directly.

Why?

You can let people download only the source code of Xonotic game and let people compile this source code to "Xonotic.exe" for Windows users.

Then why you allow them to download the binary files of Xonotic executable program if they have compilable source code?

This is funny that in "Xonotic.zip" I found "Xonotic.exe", but not "gmqcc.exe".

Don't you think that this is an irony?

Quote:Even with all the reasons why precompiled binary files are bad

Precompiled binaries aren't bad, they simply aren't required when sources available. Many of open source projects have only sources, even some large ones. But anyway I don't want to go further with this dicussion.

If you  don't want to compile binary maybe someone can build it for you or have already one compiled for your platform.

(04-14-2018, 09:50 AM)Sl@va Wrote:
Quote:Even with all the reasons why precompiled binary files are bad

Precompiled binaries aren't bad, they simply aren't required when sources available. Many of open source projects have only sources, even some large ones. But anyway I don't want to go further with this dicussion.

If you  don't want to compile binary maybe someone can build it for you or have already one compiled for your platform.

The matter is that I don't know how to compile, not that I don't want.

Other downloads gave me the binary files, in addition to the source code, so I was never required to compile source code before.

Gmqcc is the first download without binary files, but only source code for me.

Also you said that we don't need binary files if sources are available, then why the binary files of Xonotic game are downloadable?

Why the download doesn't give the sources of Xonotic instead?

Why Gmqcc is different from Xonotic in this matter?

Quote:Why the binary files of Xonotic game are downloadable?
A lot of gamers are not programmers and would be intimidated by compiling code.

Quote:Why the download doesn't give the sources of Xonotic instead?
You can get those.

Quote:Why Gmqcc is different from Xonotic in this matter?
Gmqcc is an upstream project, so it would be that projects maintainers call. Likely answer is that people who want to download a compiler likely won't be intimidated to compile it.

For what it's worth downloading the source and compiling Xonotic including Gmqcc was really painless for me following the guide on gitlab

Why do you want the compiler? Do you have experience programming or are you trying to learn? Is your interest more in video game development and if so why the interest in Gmqcc?

[url=https://gitlab.com/xonotic/xonotic/wikis/Repository_Access][/url]

(04-14-2018, 03:09 PM)Kim Jong-Ben Wrote:
Quote:Why the binary files of Xonotic game are downloadable?
A lot of gamers are not programmers and would be intimidated by compiling code.

Quote:Why the download doesn't give the sources of Xonotic instead?
You can get those.

Quote:Why Gmqcc is different from Xonotic in this matter?
Gmqcc is an upstream project, so it would be that projects maintainers call. Likely answer is that people who want to download a compiler likely won't be intimidated to compile it.

For what it's worth downloading the source and compiling Xonotic including Gmqcc was really painless for me following the guide on gitlab

On one hand you say that gmqcc.exe cannot be downloaded, because it can be compiled from the source code that is downloadable.

On the other hand you say that Xonotic.exe is downloadable, in addition to the source code, because most gamers are not programmers and would be intimidated by compiling code.

So on one hand you say why we don't need precompiled binary files.

On the other hand you say why we need precompiled files.

I see that you have contradicted yourself.

What do you have to say about it?

It's still not clear if you are a programmer, a video game enthusiast who wants to learn or someone who just wants to argue for the sake of it.

If you want help say so but it seems like you just want to argue.

I don't want to argue, I just notice that I don't find direct download of gmqcc.exe, but only it's source code, and I just want to make sure if download of gmqcc.exe exists or not and if not then why, because gmqcc is the first project that I have encountered whose source code is downloadable only but not it's binary code.

Even though I am both gamer and programmer, I will prefer to use fteqcc.exe rather than gmqcc.exe, because I am intimidated by compiling code, even of compilers.

I was never required to compile code of ready prepared project before in my experience.

Anyway thank you for answering my questions.

This thread can be locked now.

(04-14-2018, 05:22 PM)Lyberta Wrote:
(04-14-2018, 03:33 PM)Xonotics Wrote: Even though I am both gamer and programmer, I will prefer to use fteqcc.exe rather than gmqcc.exe, because I am intimidated by compiling code, even of compilers.

So how do you program without compiling code?

The thing is, if you want to mess with the code of Xonotic (or any modern codebase) you clone a git repository because the release is usually older and there will be merge conflicts when trying to merge your contributions.

And if you clone Xonotic repository, the build script will build gmqcc as part of the usual build process. You typically don't need to build it manually yourself.

EDIT: I've just realized that you mention gmqcc.exe a lot. This means you are on Windows which means that you're in the world of hurt because most FOSS devs use GNU/Linux and we don't have much experience with building on Windows. I've heard that MSYS2 solves some of the problems.

You are right when you say that I am Windows user.

Also I am always using Visual Studio to compile and run code that I have written by myself after that I have created new project.

GMQCC's website offers downloads for windows, though I can't guarantee that they're up to date or compatible with Xonotic's latest code: http://graphitemaster.github.io/gmqcc/download.html
[Image: 230.png]

(04-15-2018, 12:02 AM)Mario Wrote: GMQCC's website offers downloads for windows, though I can't guarantee that they're up to date or compatible with Xonotic's latest code: http://graphitemaster.github.io/gmqcc/download.html

All the links in this web-page are broken.

Why all the download links at http://graphitemaster.github.io/gmqcc/download.html are broken?

@Xonotics - as already mentioned, you are talking/complaining about an upstream project that we (team Xonotic) happen to make use of. We cannot speak on their behalf. Please take up your issue with the owners of the gmqcc project, not here.

For what it is worth, I've pinged the two main contributors to the project on IRC about the broken links. They may or may not help you.
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

(04-16-2018, 08:57 AM)Antibody Wrote: @Xonotics - as already mentioned, you are talking/complaining about an upstream project that we (team Xonotic) happen to make use of. We cannot speak on their behalf. Please take up your issue with the owners of the gmqcc project, not here.

For what it is worth, I've pinged the two main contributors to the project on IRC about the broken links. They may or may not help you.

Understood.

(04-15-2018, 04:11 PM)Lyberta Wrote:
(04-14-2018, 06:46 PM)Xonotics Wrote: Also I am always using Visual Studio to compile and run code that I have written by myself after that I have created new project.

Visual Studio doesn't support QuakeC so its GUI won't help you to develop the code of Xonotic. It does have "custom project" but that means pretty much that you get just a text editor and you are on your own.

So?

Not necessarily... our VM is quite isolated from most building environments, only really requiring GMQCC as the compiler and nothing else. I had a similar experience before MSYS 2 became a thing, and was glad we provided binaries for FTEQCC.

Unfortunately, you'll just have to wait for the GMQCC developers to provide new binaries on their website, it's out of our hands.
[Image: 230.png]

(04-16-2018, 11:26 PM)Mario Wrote: Not necessarily... our VM is quite isolated from most building environments, only really requiring GMQCC as the compiler and nothing else. I had a similar experience before MSYS 2 became a thing, and was glad we provided binaries for FTEQCC.

Unfortunately, you'll just have to wait for the GMQCC developers to provide new binaries on their website, it's out of our hands.

This is shame that there is no available gmqcc.exe for download, only it's source code that I have to compile using either g++ or gcc compiler, because fteqcc has problem to compile the Sevens Modified Source Code of Quake Epsilon Build version 2.54 released on date 18.12.2016 whose engine is Darkplaces, because only in ogre.qc it gives me errors whose prefix is "Invalid UTF-8 code sequence" from line 894 to line 986.

I don't know if gmqcc will succeed to compile this, but I would like to know how do I solve these errors by myself and compile with fteqcc.

Of course that I don't expect that you will help me with this problem, because this problem doesn't relate to Xonotic.

I just want to let you know so at least you will help me to find the forum where I can talk about this problem.

EDIT: I just found another different fteqcc compiler which succeeds to compile the Sevens Modified Source Code of Quake Epsilon Build version 2.54 released on date 18.12.2016 whose engine is Darkplaces, unlike these that I downloaded before.

Now I am satisfied.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can we make Xonotic more popular? anoob 29 9,746 10-01-2022, 12:50 AM
Last Post: Trixtoxia
Wink What a typo can lead to CuBe0wL 9 8,002 09-24-2013, 07:13 AM
Last Post: bitbomb
  [SOLVED] Can I Monetize YouTube Videos of Xonotic DeathTBO 4 5,764 07-14-2013, 02:19 PM
Last Post: DeathTBO
  Can I get NA player to post their ping end user 7 8,415 06-30-2013, 11:10 AM
Last Post: end user
  [SOLVED] Where can I find custom files? rocknroll237 1 3,356 09-10-2011, 08:28 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  7zip won't open file as archive Couch_Potato_MOJOceratops 5 35,333 01-17-2011, 05:52 AM
Last Post: Spaceman
  Download? sin1star 11 13,236 12-06-2010, 06:16 AM
Last Post: master[mind]
  Does anyone have a download link for the Frozen Colors map? greasem0nkey 8 7,757 12-03-2010, 07:28 PM
Last Post: greasem0nkey
  Xonotic BitTorrent Download IDWMaster 12 17,535 07-16-2010, 07:38 AM
Last Post: Ang
  Can you PLEASE FIX Morphed's Trees (mtree.01, mtree.02 etc) PLEASE-fix-MORPHS-trees 9 8,624 06-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Last Post: mand1nga