Create an account

Poll: What game type do you want new maps for?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Free-For-All (FFA)
31.82%
7 31.82%
Team Deathmatch
54.55%
12 54.55%
Duel
13.64%
3 13.64%
Total 22 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[META] What game type do you want new maps for? (Jan 2021)

Thread topic.

Related:
https://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=8499

Invasion, assault, onslaught, nexball, deathmatch, team deathmatch
My maps:
CTF: Trident_ctf, Moon terror;
DM: Checkfriend, Last man standing remix (ctf);
Duel: tempullit, X air walker;
Kota-dooM: Kota-dooM, Kota-dooM4 (-2);
Race: Map packs;
Special: Triangle, Mid space 'em.

You can check out my other maps here.

(01-14-2021, 01:59 AM)Kotangens Wrote: Invasion, assault, onslaught, nexball, deathmatch, team deathmatch

I omitted the former three for a few reasons:

1. objections to the contest allowing any game type because judging wouldn't be fair
2. the time investment required to create maps for those game modes (brought up by cortez)

About Duels - why not. Of course, there is a lot of dueling type maps on community, and also a lot of players which prefer to play dueling. Maybe I haven't found community's TDM matches, on announces and etc, maybe, but maybe I'm just haven't searched for it. Will be good to have nice qualitative maps, which will be playable for a long time on tourneys. Ofks this is one of the most important criteria - be playable on tourneys. Because Xonotic for a long time has a problem with players, there is not so much players playing this game. And Duels are the most important types for Quakers. But also, this game has a lot of fun features, and absolutely fast movements, which is perfect for this game. And having a lot of game-for-fun maps for TDM/FFA, which also can be used in similar tourneys, will be good for this game. I think, quote of @Lyberta can be refuted (about popularity), if there will be much more good/high-quality maps. And one of the idea - make combined maps, which can be used in TDM/FFA, but also in Duels, and in CTF. One map for all possible modes. This idea was released, for example, in Quake Champignons, where one map can combine FFA and CTF modes, but, for example, CTF mode doors are closed in FFA, and etc. We need more duelists, more players and pro-players, and it may be achieved by all type of maps, more high-quality maps, which can be playable, more announcements, more releases, and more fun-features. I wait for features like select dueling mode in server-creation, and mode duel-2v2 (not tdm).

(01-14-2021, 09:28 AM)AriosJentu Wrote: About Duels - why not. Of course, there is a lot of dueling type maps on community, and also a lot of players which prefer to play dueling. Maybe I haven't found community's TDM matches, on announces and etc, maybe, but maybe I'm just haven't searched for it. Will be good to have nice qualitative maps, which will be playable for a long time on tourneys. Ofks this is one of the most important criteria - be playable on tourneys. Because Xonotic for a long time has a problem with players, there is not so much players playing this game. And Duels are the most important types for Quakers. But also, this game has a lot of fun features, and absolutely fast movements, which is perfect for this game. And having a lot of game-for-fun maps for TDM/FFA, which also can be used in similar tourneys, will be good for this game. I think, quote of @Lyberta can be refuted (about popularity), if there will be much more good/high-quality maps. And one of the idea - make combined maps, which can be used in TDM/FFA, but also in Duels, and in CTF. One map for all possible modes. This idea was released, for example, in Quake Champignons, where one map can combine FFA and CTF modes, but, for example, CTF mode doors are closed in FFA, and etc. We need more duelists, more players and pro-players, and it may be achieved by all type of maps, more high-quality maps, which can be playable, more announcements, more releases, and more fun-features. I wait for features like select dueling mode in server-creation, and mode duel-2v2 (not tdm).

I'm not trying to make a case with Lyberta's quote. There was an episode with Lyberta where 'he' bashed Xonotic and called the game a waste of time despite contributing. I just thought the situation was funny.

Also, the community talks about wanting TDM matches in the IRC pickup channel . But the pool of TDM maps is limited.

(01-14-2021, 01:59 AM)Kotangens Wrote: ...  nexball, ...

Happend https://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=2280

(01-14-2021, 09:28 AM)AriosJentu Wrote: make combined maps, which can be used in TDM/FFA, but also in Duels, and in CTF. One map for all possible modes.

Runningman was done that way, but it lead to performance issues. The engine rendered the none visible parts, and in order to increase performance there was a split again.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Laser Sumo FFA

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Xonotie Mapping Contest 2021 (winner: SirRanjid - vmmm) Antares* 28 13,585 03-04-2021, 03:10 PM
Last Post: _para