Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Nexball Mapping Contest

Hello Xonoitc mappers and everyone else,

there have been lot of talking about a mapping competition since the project started. Since no one has taken the initiative, i thought it's about time get things rolling. So what's the goal of the contest?
Simple, to reach as many Xonotic player as possible. Mirio and I talked about plans after the 1on1 tourney, which is currently ongoing. We thought about several things and came to the conclusion, we need something which haven't been there before.
A 2on2 Nexball tourney.

At the moment, we have only two suitable maps, nexballarena and marsball. But for a tourney more maps are needed, that's where the mapper come into play.
The goal we be to create the missing maps. As it's a contest there will be
a jury, which judges the maps. The prize for the winner will be that his map, will be played exclusively in the final.
The other maps, will most likely end up as normal maps in the tourney.

The team of judges will consist of Antibody, MirceaKitsune and merlijn. They'll guarantee that the best map wins. Smile

The rules are quiet simple:
- It has to be a nexball map
- Has to be optimized for a 2on2
- Maps with more then 1 ball are ok, but the limit is 50 balls per map. Otherwise the map won't be accepted.

The theme of the map is up to you.
Be creative!

Deadline: 2nd January 2012 23:59 GMT +1

Join #xonotic.editing on quakenet, if you need help.

Good luck & Have fun.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

i'm in yo
<Halogene> ok "n1" means "nice one"
<Halogene> "gl" means "good luck"
<Halogene> "fu" means "wow that was wickedly nice that frag"
Frogg on Instagram

I think Ill be in as well Smile

I will try to make something too Smile

Already started Big Grin

[Image: 8fhtzk9748x1qm6gfx5_thumb.jpg] [Image: g3tho16lqupuplhyfvu_thumb.jpg] [Image: 2b1bvvtwqm01wkntnx99_thumb.jpg] [Image: o69oly7hksp72gmhyt6_thumb.jpg]
Here is my map for contest, ancient mayan temples to play sacred ball game

www.morphed.planetnexuiz.com/mayanball.pk3

An outdoor map, wow! That looks awesome, great job!

(11-06-2011, 04:31 AM)Morphed Wrote: www.morphed.planetnexuiz.com/mayanball.pk3

Looks quite awesome so far! Though in the end, the models could be of higher quality, and the walls more detailed.

Mircea is right. And maybe you should ad:

-Some little mean hills in the field, to make the ball less predictable.
-Speed bonus somewhere in the forest.
-Arches in the doorways showed on the 3rd pic.
-Some birds or/and butterflies. I know that sounds weird, but it actually is possible. (I saw it on a Q3 map on the dms votable server.) You can just make a small model, with clapping wings and let it fly around (maybe atach some sounds too). That would really give a rainforrest feeling.

(11-06-2011, 12:47 PM)Mepper Wrote: -Speed bonus somewhere in the forest.

That is not possible right now because of this bug: http://dev.xonotic.org/issues/801

Right now my nexball map uses that entity as a "wind field" and i'm hoping by the time this contest finishes the bug is solved Angel

Btw, great work with that map Morphed Smile

I think I mean something different. I mean the powerup speed, which works just like strength, shield, or invisibility. It seamed to be the only really usefull powerup for nexball.

I'll be entering too, only I've only played nexball online once, so the map might be unbalance and get a revision afterward.

GLHF Smile

(11-08-2011, 02:47 PM)nowego4 Wrote: ... I've only played nexball online once, so the map might be unbalance and get a revision afterward.

when you keep the layout symmetric, the chance that it becomes unbalanced is very low.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Brick 
(11-08-2011, 03:27 PM)Cortez666 Wrote: when you keep the layout symmetric, the chance that it becomes unbalanced is very low.

I guess I meant too easy/hard to cap/too big or small for 2on2.

Anyway, here's my first submission:
[Image: de8fvb3w3i3gdt5gh1_thumb.jpg]

SWAT-SD

Download: http://ompldr.org/vYmRpbw/swat-sd.pk3

I'd offer virtually free virtual cookies to whoever can figure out what the name means, except that it would spam the thread Cool

Oh, and it's football style, hope that's okay.

My map is progressing sloooowly but i hope i'll finish it in time Tongue

Here are some previews, remember, the map is not finished, i'd say its only at its 50% but well....

[Image: vh3oopu0olb5g1taarma_thumb.jpg]

[Image: 73k4e517phhhybxm6ovf_thumb.jpg]

[Image: 5u79wwk7pqu36u4yypqq_thumb.jpg]

(11-20-2011, 04:24 PM)nowego4 Wrote: Oh, and it's football style, hope that's okay.
it's nexball so it's ok Smile

There is still more then 1 month left, till the deadline so you have all the time you need to finish your maps and polish them.

Small reminder the deadline is in 1 month.

here's my submission for the contest:

Ariel DOWNLOAD LINK

screenshots HERE
<Halogene> ok "n1" means "nice one"
<Halogene> "gl" means "good luck"
<Halogene> "fu" means "wow that was wickedly nice that frag"
Frogg on Instagram

That looks awesome Smile

So awesome I think you should make a dm or ctf version of it too. I just like it, all light happy colors Big Grin

A bit late now but I also participate! Smile

(12-06-2011, 01:12 PM)Maddin Wrote: A bit late now but I also participate! Smile

you still have roughly 4 weeks left, which is enough time to make something playable Smile

Yay compo! Good news, after Cortez666 and Morphed kindly helped me to set up my NetRadiant last night I have started a map too! In fact, it's a remake of an old classic that we used to play the heck out of in Nexuiz. I will try to make it more pleasing to the eyes, which unfortunately has never been my strong point Smile
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

Nice... need some team-colored lava? I'd be glad to share mine if you want (identical to Lava0 except color).

I could also colourise them myself, anyway thank you! Wink

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FREE Invasion mapping contest Kotangens 2 5,529 12-27-2021, 01:25 PM
Last Post: end user
Lightbulb [Easy Community Contest]- Rank Yourself Ridgebeam 18 9,380 07-25-2021, 11:24 AM
Last Post: Ridgebeam
  Mapping contest for duel maps (idea) RazorDodger 10 4,097 05-30-2021, 10:10 AM
Last Post: SPLAT
  Xonotie Mapping Contest 2021 (winner: SirRanjid - vmmm) Antares* 28 13,586 03-04-2021, 03:10 PM
Last Post: _para
  Mapping contests participation Justin 17 20,804 12-08-2015, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  Duel Mapping Contest 2015 Mirio 81 75,166 08-28-2015, 12:15 PM
Last Post: shogun_assassin
  Duel Mapping Contest 2015 - Brainstorming SPLAT 15 16,430 06-09-2015, 03:26 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  Duel Mapping Contest (sponsored by Sapphire) asyyy 57 80,640 12-26-2012, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Justin
  GlobalGamers CTF Mapping Contest Voting Samual 58 66,367 12-15-2012, 04:18 PM
Last Post: Mario
  CTF Mapping Contest (by GlobalGamers) Samual 110 126,103 08-28-2012, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Samual